Self managing from out-of-state

Self managing from out-of-state

Hong Kong · Member since 2024 · 161 posts · 57 votes

Does anyone self-manage from out of state? Would really love to discuss strategies, challenges etc - doesn't matter which state you self-manage from or invest in. Would love to jump on a call. 

Thanks. 

1Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 5 votes
1y

@Zach Howard-my best advice would be to set up connections with local contractors, shops and services like snow removal contractors based on your area. I also sign up for the respective Chamber of Commerce and attend monthly ( every other ) events to meet local business people. I also use property management software such as Rent Redi to help with managing. I hope this helps since this is still in development for me as well. The goal is to build some capital during the first 2 years. Afterwards I may pivot. Hope this helps. 
where are you thinking about buying? Do you have rentals already?

See this reply in the discussion

11 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    Hi-I am self managing 2 rentals out of state. I would love to do something closer but the property taxes are just insane. 

    • Hong Kong · Member since 2024 · 161 posts · 57 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Latisha Millard:

      Hi-I am self managing 2 rentals out of state. I would love to do something closer but the property taxes are just insane. 


       Great - where are you based?

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    I am based in NJ but have rentals in Connecticut and NY

    • Hong Kong · Member since 2024 · 161 posts · 57 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Latisha Millard:

      I am based in NJ but have rentals in Connecticut and NY


       How are those working out for you so far? Any advice for someone looking to potentially self-manage? Would it be possible to hop on a call? Thanks 

  • Investor · Arroyo Grande, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I’ve been managing a 12-door portfolio in Detroit from California for the last few years. I’m still self-managing a few of them now but currently in the process of transitioning everything over to a property manager.

    It’s definitely doable, especially if you’re organized and have good boots on the ground — a solid handyman, someone who can show units, and reliable vendors. Rent collection and basic maintenance weren’t too bad. The hard part was always the turnovers — leasing, repairs, coordinating everything remotely — that’s what wore me down.

    Self-managing did help me build equity and learn the business early on, but it’s not what I’d call passive. It’s more like “a second job you can do with a laptop and a cell phone.”

    If you’re curious, I put together a detailed write-up on the pros and cons of long-distance self-management based on my experience. Happy to share it if you want to DM me.

  • Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    @Zach Howard-my best advice would be to set up connections with local contractors, shops and services like snow removal contractors based on your area. I also sign up for the respective Chamber of Commerce and attend monthly ( every other ) events to meet local business people. I also use property management software such as Rent Redi to help with managing. I hope this helps since this is still in development for me as well. The goal is to build some capital during the first 2 years. Afterwards I may pivot. Hope this helps. 
    where are you thinking about buying? Do you have rentals already?

  • Property Manager · Las Vegas · Member since 2024 · 19 posts · 9 votes
    1y

    Hi Zach,

    Having worked with numerous real estate investors who used to self-manage from out-of-state, I've seen firsthand what makes this approach work (and what causes major headaches).

    Look, the reality is you'll need a solid local network. This isn't just general advice - it's absolutely essential. Find those dependable contractors and handymen who respond to texts and actually show up when promised. I recommend having at least two options for each service because the good ones are often busy when you need them most.

    Technology has been a game-changer for remote landlords. Good property management software handles rent collection, maintenance tickets, and lease signing without you needing to be physically present. This isn't optional anymore - it's table stakes for doing this successfully.

    Be crystal clear with your tenants about how they should communicate issues. Nothing's worse than finding out about a small leak that turned into major damage because a tenant "didn't want to bother you" or couldn't reach you easily.

    I've seen many investors successfully manage remotely, but it does require more systems and preparation than managing properties in your backyard.

    Good luck! 

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Zach Howard biggest scam is getting you to a buy a Class D property, thinking it's Class A or B!

    Class A is easy to remotely manage, other than showings and maintenance.

    Class B is almost as easy.

    Class C requires a LOT of management experience to remotely manage.

    Class D usually requires local management.

    DM us to schedule a call if you'd like.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2020 · 12 posts · 5 votes
    1y

    My wife and I primarily self manage from out of state. We have rental property in Florida and have managed them from Denver. Not sure where you're investing from but totally doable. Let me know if you'd like to connect. 

  • Member since 2025 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    1y

    Hi!

    Looking for advice to reach out and make connections! Do you think it's better to do online or in person?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.