Rental Property Investor · NJ · Member since 2019 · 442 posts · 40 votes
I have a tenant who tends to be quite rigid in general. Recently, when I came by to check something in the unit, she insisted that I take off my shoes before entering. I understand it's her living space, but I was there for a maintenance-related issue.
Is this a reasonable request, or is it crossing a line? Curious how other landlords would approach this.
Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
1y
It keeps you property cleaner. If you don't want to take off you shoes keep a box of new shoe covers in your vehicle. They are cheap on amazon. It shows that you respect your tenant's space and her efforts to keep your property nice.
@Jill F. I am landlord and I find it great that your tenant wants to take care of your a property that is not theirs and even you as the land lord she asking to
Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 46 posts · 34 votes
1y
Respect goes a long way in general. Despite them being your tenant, for them it's their home. From where they have nowhere to retreat, whereas you are free to leave as you please. I would take the shoes off to honor their request or wear a shoe cover as others have suggested. I'm not sure where the tenant is from, but in many places removing shoes when entering a home is just the culturally appropriate thing to do.
That is a totally reasonable request. I know some people wear shoes in their house, but not everyone does. Respect their request. I ask people to take off their shoes when they come in my house and no one has a problem. Not to mention there is less wear and tear on the flooring.
Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee WI · Member since 2024 · 321 posts · 254 votes
1y
One of my tenants asks the same. I have 0 problem doing this. She is a neat freak, which means she keeps my unit clean. Why would I discourage that? Not to mention, is this worth getting into a fight over? Seems like an easy way to either make your tenant happy or really mad.
I go so far as to actually take my shoes off when I go in her place for maintenance even if she isn't home. Because why disrespect her living space like that?
Realtor · Oklahoma City · Member since 2020 · 258 posts · 139 votes
1y
Yeah, I’d just remove the shoes unless required for actual work that’d protect your feet. I do that at my home & parents for cleanliness.
If going to the back, carry them with you then put them on closer to exit. One of the plumbing companies I’ve utilized has their workers bring the shoe coverings & has them put them in prior to going inside for any reason..
From a health perspective, if you think about it shoes are gross, especially if you’re out walking on streets, yards, job sites, etc. then when people come home then walk all over the place it’s slowly spreading around making things less sanitary.. Will it impact you right away.. probably not, but it’s the principle.
Same principle to respect your tenants requests, in order to stay on their good side too & hopefully stay a lot longer in your rental! People need to be better people, & do the right thing even if it means sacrificing a little of our own personal comfort..
Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2025 · 59 posts · 31 votes
1y
Considering the safety aspect of performing maintenance on a unit, and like Ned recommended, I would either take off my shoes going through the house and put them back on while I'm working, or bring shoe covers.
Just what I would do personally, but I'd say it's also a relatively good problem to have with a tenant who is being that meticulous in keeping your property in such a good living condition.
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1y
When the cable guy comes to our place he puts “booties” on over his shoes. He does this even though he has to take them off and put them back on several times as he enters and leaves the property trying to fix a problem. Heck, there are open houses in Vegas (Think almost zero rain or snow.) where you have to take off your shoes or wear booties to come in.
What if you arrived at a friend or relative’s home, would it be weird then? If a friend came over to your place and kept his shoes on would you think it’s weird? What if it was raining or snowing outside or their shoes were just dirty?
1) You save the fight over the security deposit when the tenant says you made the stain because you worse dirty shoes in to the property.
2) Consider hiring a handyman in the future. They’ll be used to the request, it’ll be a tax deductible expense, you’ll free up personal time, and it will protect you from any lawsuits regarding theft or injury.
Be grateful something this minor is even an issue to you, that’s a good sign. And Good luck.
Investor · Fort Washington, MD · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
I would do it. That is insignificant. What is the problem?
To me, it's golden to have a tenant who loves to keep the place clean, treating it like their own. Showing that level of respect so they can take care of your property, probably will be reciprocated. Great relationships with tenants can be golden.
New to Real Estate · Member since 2023 · 18 posts · 31 votes
1y
Culturally speaking, a lot of people do not use outside shoes at home in general. Unless your work requires protection of your feet (use shoe covers) I think it is a reasonable request. Plus it is a good sign that your tenant respects the space she lives in
Culturally speaking, a lot of people do not use outside shoes at home in general. Unless your work requires protection of your feet (use shoe covers) I think it is a reasonable request. Plus it is a good sign that your tenant respects the space she lives in
our friends in Hawaii all take their shoes off and we take them off when they let us use their condo.. we dont do it at home .. I do pretty much but my wife does not. LOL.. one of our kids is a stickler on shoes off.
I have a tenant who tends to be quite rigid in general. Recently, when I came by to check something in the unit, she insisted that I take off my shoes before entering. I understand it's her living space, but I was there for a maintenance-related issue.
Is this a reasonable request, or is it crossing a line? Curious how other landlords would approach this.
. There are much worse things to worry about as a landlord.
I have a tenant who tends to be quite rigid in general. Recently, when I came by to check something in the unit, she insisted that I take off my shoes before entering. I understand it's her living space, but I was there for a maintenance-related issue.
Is this a reasonable request, or is it crossing a line? Curious how other landlords would approach this.
Iwould say landlord was the one crossing a line if he refused to take off the shoes. Sure landlord owns the premises, but does it mean he can walk into the bathroom while their tenant is taking a shower or relieving themselves? Iwould carry shoe covers, as others suggested, and put them on if I was unwilling to take my shoes off.
I take my shoes off whenever I enter someone's home. Many say it's not necessary and we act accordingly. Depending on what you're doing, either roll out protective paper or wear shoe covers. If asked, absolutely.
Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
1y
Why would that be crossing a line? It is not their property, but it is their home! You should be happy they care!!
One of the most succesful 5,000 unit landlords I know here in Wisconsin trains his maintenance techs to greet the tenant with their name, introduce themseves with their name, make a compliment about anything (their couch, their hair. whatever) ask if they prefer shoes off or booties, clean up after themselves and fill out a Google review.
Anything under 5 stars is unacceptable. The tech gets compensated accordingly (and he pays well). They are the only PM company I know that has a 4.8 star google rating. Most are under 2 stars.
Their retention rate is incredibly high, despite very high rents and annual increases. Everything he does is with the bottom line in mind and they are incredibly profitable.
Property Manager · Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 6 posts · 5 votes
1y
Very reasonable request. I recommend that you have booties (Shoe covers) in your vehicle when you go out on site visits, along with your other property management supplies (Cleaning supplies, gloves, etc).
Investor · Regina, SK · Member since 2025 · 54 posts · 42 votes
1y
If it's a situation where you need to keep your shoes on bring along some shower caps or the like to pull over your shoes. Any 3rd party contractors I deal with do this and state in advance they won't remove shoes, but will have shoe covers to use.
Be thankful you have a tenant that wants to take care of the place. That's not common a lot of the times.