Wholesaler · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
I self manage 30 units. Up until now, I have tenants pay through Zelle. Every month I am texting 4 or 5 tenants to remind them to pay rent or trying to collect rent fees. Several times a year I am am sending out a text message to all tenants (freeze warnings, inspection reminder, etc) I am looking for an online platform that has a good app as well as a website that I can use to do those tasks. I primarily want to automate rent reminders, late fee warnings, send blanket text messages, as well as have a user friendly app or website platform where my tenants can make ACH payments, or possibly even pay rent with a credit card. It looks like Buildium may be a "go to" but looks more robust than what I may need. I have seen suggestions for Innago, Stessa, and Rent Redi. Before I start spending time getting to know each application I was curious if there were any other owner/managers that had experience with an online platform they liked? I am ok paying for the service but would like to keep the monthly fee under $100 a month. Thanks in advance for your thoughts and advise!
Attorney · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2025 · 144 posts · 180 votes
1y
Hey Scott!
It sounds like you need something that’s more than just a basic rent collection app, but not as heavy and expensive as a full property management system. The goal is to automate payment reminders, late fee notices, and bulk messages, without paying for features you’ll never use.
One great option for small landlords is Innago. It’s free for landlords (tenants cover any payment processing fees) and lets renters pay via ACH, debit, or credit card. You can set up automatic rent reminders and late fee notices, plus send announcements to a single tenant or everyone at once. The app is really straightforward, so you can get it running quickly without a big learning curve.
RentRedi is another solid choice. It costs about $20/month (or $108/year if you grab the BiggerPockets discount), and like Innago, it supports ACH, debit, and credit card payments. It also automates reminders and late fees.
If you want something very simple and widely recognized, Apartments.com (formerly Cozy) might work. It’s free for landlords and allows ACH or credit card payments, with automatic rent reminders and autopay options. The only downside is that bulk messaging works more like email blasts, so it’s not as quick for urgent notices.
TurboTenant also offers a free plan (or $99/year premium). It has ACH and card payment options, automated reminders, and late fee enforcement. Messaging is in-app or email only—not true text messaging—but it’s easy to use if you just need to get info out.
While Buildium is a popular “go-to” in the property management world, it’s much more robust and starts at around $55/month for under 50 units. It’s great if you want full accounting and advanced reporting, but for 30 units you might be paying for more than you need right now.
Note: This information is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication.
Attorney · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2025 · 144 posts · 180 votes
1y
Hey Scott!
It sounds like you need something that’s more than just a basic rent collection app, but not as heavy and expensive as a full property management system. The goal is to automate payment reminders, late fee notices, and bulk messages, without paying for features you’ll never use.
One great option for small landlords is Innago. It’s free for landlords (tenants cover any payment processing fees) and lets renters pay via ACH, debit, or credit card. You can set up automatic rent reminders and late fee notices, plus send announcements to a single tenant or everyone at once. The app is really straightforward, so you can get it running quickly without a big learning curve.
RentRedi is another solid choice. It costs about $20/month (or $108/year if you grab the BiggerPockets discount), and like Innago, it supports ACH, debit, and credit card payments. It also automates reminders and late fees.
If you want something very simple and widely recognized, Apartments.com (formerly Cozy) might work. It’s free for landlords and allows ACH or credit card payments, with automatic rent reminders and autopay options. The only downside is that bulk messaging works more like email blasts, so it’s not as quick for urgent notices.
TurboTenant also offers a free plan (or $99/year premium). It has ACH and card payment options, automated reminders, and late fee enforcement. Messaging is in-app or email only—not true text messaging—but it’s easy to use if you just need to get info out.
While Buildium is a popular “go-to” in the property management world, it’s much more robust and starts at around $55/month for under 50 units. It’s great if you want full accounting and advanced reporting, but for 30 units you might be paying for more than you need right now.
Note: This information is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication.
It sounds like you need something that’s more than just a basic rent collection app, but not as heavy and expensive as a full property management system. The goal is to automate payment reminders, late fee notices, and bulk messages, without paying for features you’ll never use.
One great option for small landlords is Innago. It’s free for landlords (tenants cover any payment processing fees) and lets renters pay via ACH, debit, or credit card. You can set up automatic rent reminders and late fee notices, plus send announcements to a single tenant or everyone at once. The app is really straightforward, so you can get it running quickly without a big learning curve.
RentRedi is another solid choice. It costs about $20/month (or $108/year if you grab the BiggerPockets discount), and like Innago, it supports ACH, debit, and credit card payments. It also automates reminders and late fees.
If you want something very simple and widely recognized, Apartments.com (formerly Cozy) might work. It’s free for landlords and allows ACH or credit card payments, with automatic rent reminders and autopay options. The only downside is that bulk messaging works more like email blasts, so it’s not as quick for urgent notices.
TurboTenant also offers a free plan (or $99/year premium). It has ACH and card payment options, automated reminders, and late fee enforcement. Messaging is in-app or email only—not true text messaging—but it’s easy to use if you just need to get info out.
While Buildium is a popular “go-to” in the property management world, it’s much more robust and starts at around $55/month for under 50 units. It’s great if you want full accounting and advanced reporting, but for 30 units you might be paying for more than you need right now.
Note: This information is for educational and informational purposes only and does not constitute legal, tax, financial, or investment advice. No attorney-client, fiduciary, or professional relationship is established through this communication.
This is so thoughtful! I learned from this as well. I'm an Innago user, but I'm on a smaller scale than you @Scott Sammons. Getting into a system will dramatically simplify your life! I love the flexibility of Innago and having a splash page to see everything I need in one place.
@Christina Calderon I personally love Innago as well. I tried a few others before switching to Innago and it is pretty easy to use. I only have 2 units and could easily see how it is scalable to much more.
Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
1y
I would use a PM software that is lower costs than a big one like Yardi. My suggestion for your size is Buildium, I use that for my PM side of the business and personal rentals. It is lower costs gives a lot of ability to do accounting, ACH payments, and a ton of other stuff for a lower price for people not managing 200 or 500 units.
Specialist · New Roads LA · Member since 2025 · 11 posts · 4 votes
11mo
Hi Scott
You may want to check out having an AI platform build exactly what you need. For example you can prompt "Build an App that will allow my tenants to pay online via Credit Card or ACH"
With AI, it's like having a full-time programmer building custom systems for you, on-demand, for about $50/month.
Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2024 · 37 posts · 24 votes
10mo
I have been using Baselane as my “go to” platform for my 4 units so far and love it. I screen tenants, generate lease agreements, collect rent, automate the late fees, reminders, etc. It hits most if not all of the items you mentioned having the need for, so I would definitely check them out.