Where am I going wrong? Costs increasing and rents flat
Hello BP Community,
My wife and I own two self-managed rental properties in Southwest Florida—one in Sarasota and one in Riverview. We purchased both around 2017 and, overall, the experience has been positive.
Like many in this market, rents jumped meaningfully in 2021 due to COVID-driven migration to Florida. Fast forward to today, and the environment feels very different: several active hurricane seasons, sharply higher insurance and property taxes, and rents that have now been flat for three consecutive years.
Both properties are on 15-year mortgages refinanced in 2020 at ~3%, which is obviously a huge positive. That said, current cash flow is thin:
- Sarasota: ~$150/month
- Riverview: ~$75/month
I’m hesitant to push rents. The Sarasota tenant has been excellent and is approaching four years with us. The Riverview tenant pays on time but requires significantly more hands-on management.
My concern is simple:
Do we continue holding, accepting minimal cash flow today while costs steadily rise—and risk slipping negative over the next few years? Or does it make more sense to hold until the market stabilizes and look for an opportunity to exit, even if that means giving up historically low mortgage rates?
I hate the idea of walking away from 3% debt, but I also don’t want to blindly hold assets that could become a cash-flow drag.
For those who’ve navigated similar situations—especially in high-cost, hurricane-prone markets—how would you think about this decision? Are there specific metrics, timelines, or triggers you’d focus on?
Appreciate any insight or perspective.
Thank you,
Justin