Investor · Cumming, GA · Member since 2015 · 79 posts · 72 votes
I have a SFH and a renter who has rented from me for a while. I am ready to start an exit strategy and one idea would be to structure a rent to own program. This would spread out my tax hit. Has anyone done this successfully? How did you structure it? Pitfalls to avoid?
Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 569 posts · 334 votes
5mo
I've seen it work but only when it's structured very intentionally — otherwise it tends to create more gray areas than a clean sale or standard lease.
Most setups I've come across separate it into two pieces: a standard lease plus an option agreement. The tenant pays an option fee upfront (often non-refundable) for the right to purchase at a set price within a defined window and sometimes a portion of rent is credited toward the purchase.
Where it breaks down is usually in expectations. Tenants often think they’re “on a path to ownership,” but if financing, credit, or timelines don’t line up, it can turn into a difficult situation on both sides.
A few things that tend to matter:
• Clear purchase price and timeline upfront
• Defined option fee and how it’s applied (or not)
• No ambiguity around maintenance responsibilities
• Alignment on what happens if they don’t or can’t buy
From a risk standpoint, you’re taking on more complexity compared to a straight sale, so the structure and documentation really have to be tight.
Real Estate Agent · Temple, TX · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 700 votes
5mo
rent to own is pretty much just a different way to do seller financing - I would give them seller financing terms to work out the price / interest / loan term to make it similar to what the tenant is currently paying - maybe a bit more because they will own it eventually.
I have a SFH and a renter who has rented from me for a while. I am ready to start an exit strategy and one idea would be to structure a rent to own program. This would spread out my tax hit. Has anyone done this successfully? How did you structure it? Pitfalls to avoid?
Thanks!
T.
Since you haven't done one before, have an attorney set it up for you.
Real Estate Agent · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 569 posts · 334 votes
5mo
I've seen it work but only when it's structured very intentionally — otherwise it tends to create more gray areas than a clean sale or standard lease.
Most setups I've come across separate it into two pieces: a standard lease plus an option agreement. The tenant pays an option fee upfront (often non-refundable) for the right to purchase at a set price within a defined window and sometimes a portion of rent is credited toward the purchase.
Where it breaks down is usually in expectations. Tenants often think they’re “on a path to ownership,” but if financing, credit, or timelines don’t line up, it can turn into a difficult situation on both sides.
A few things that tend to matter:
• Clear purchase price and timeline upfront
• Defined option fee and how it’s applied (or not)
• No ambiguity around maintenance responsibilities
• Alignment on what happens if they don’t or can’t buy
From a risk standpoint, you’re taking on more complexity compared to a straight sale, so the structure and documentation really have to be tight.