• Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego
Votes |
DisHonest Property Management Company

Kyle Smith
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego
Posted Sep 16 2020, 15:44

Anyone in the Indianapolis area familiar with Honest Property Management Company or their owner Annie Scott? If so, I’d like your opinion. If not, avoid them like the plague.

The name of this company should be DisHonest Property Management Company. The owner, Annie Scott, speaks out of both sides of her mouth so often, she literally can’t remember the last lie she tells you.

We bought a property from her last year and subsequently hired HPM to manage the rental for us. As we are OOS investors, we relied on Annie to protect our best interests while also accounting for the well-being of the tenants.

Unfortunately, Annie’s standards for acceptable living conditions are FAR below anything we’ve ever seen and not what we want for our tenants. The filth and accumulation of garbage she allowed the tenants to live in was something out of the show ‘Hoarders.’ It was obvious that the annual inspections her company was contractually obligated to make of the property, either didn’t get done at all or was done and never followed through on.

As we had inherited these tenants when we purchased the property, we had to keep them until their leases expired. One particular tenant (the one who had the most abhorrent living conditions of all) was renting from us for 3/4 of market rent and when we suggested the rent be brought to close to market, she refused to do it.

The total cost to rehab the property once that tenant moved out was close to $25k. Needless to say, we fired Annie and DisHonest Property Management shortly thereafter. We’re still trying to recoup some of the damages done to our property under her watch 3 months later.

Annie is a nice person. I could never tell if she was intentionally deceiving, incompetent or both though. In any event, I would never rent from her or hire her to manage any of my properties again.

Loading replies...