• New Orleans, LA
Votes |
Preparing for the end of Eviction Moratorium

Nick Albrecht
  • Investor
  • New Orleans, LA
Posted Nov 11 2020, 07:15

Hello Bigger Pockets,

We own a small eight unit apartment complex (two neighboring 4-unit buildings) just outside of New Orleans. We are about to hit our three year anniversary of owning the property and we were on track to start seeing some nice profit and cash flow this year until covid and eviction moratoriums. Of the eight units, four of them are now far behind on rent. Of those four who are behind, I believe three are still doing what they can and at least making significant payments every month to not get completely behind. The fourth tenant however is really milking the situation. The last payment she made was in July for only $200 and she now owes over nine months worth of rent. We plan to file for an eviction the first moment that we can but my question is, are there things we should be doing now to prepare for that eviction and are there any alternatives we should consider in the case that the moratorium is extended?

She did provide the signed form from the CDC but I do not believe the statements made on that form are truthful for her. For example, right before the moratorium went into place we were telling her that she needs to get caught up or be evicted. She said she was receiving $5,000 from some car accident settlement and even had the attorney's office email us with that information. She stated that she would pay us that money as soon as she got it. Then the moratorium went into place and she paid nothing. I have heard you can challenge tenant's directly regarding their qualifications under the CDC but that situation likely requires hiring an attorney and may be a more drawn out process. To be honest, where we are outside New Orleans, in normal situations evictions are quick and cheap but with the moratorium in place we really feel stuck.

It will be 50 days until the new year tomorrow. Should I post a 50-day pay or vacate notice to try and motivate some action? Any recommendations greatly appreciated!

Loading replies...