New member from northern Canada

8 Replies

I've been a subscriber to the podcast for awhile but finally signed up for an account today.  I'm living in Northern BC, smack dab in the middle of the LNG play.   I currently work in the construction industry and specialize in residential, multi family and commercial building.  I'm looking to find some other locals from western Canada to network with as I've just purchased my first investment property.

Hello and welcome aboard :D

Can you tell us something more about yourself?

Especially the Northern BC area, I am always curious what it is like in different countries.

It must be very unique.

How do you want to invest in Real Estate?

Do you want to WholeSale, Fix-n-Flip, Long Term buy and Holds?

How would you like to help the Bigger Pockets community?

How can the Bigger Pockets community help you become more successful?

You should definitely read the beginners guide

http://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing

Setup your Keyword alerts, so if something is happening in your area you will be notified.

Listen to the PODCAST, it is an amazing source of information and ideas.

Josh and Brandon do a great job of doing an informative and fun show.

Have a great day!

Hi John,

More about myself:  I've worked in the construction industry for the past 14 years, 10 of which have been in management.  Spent the early portion of my career in Winnipeg Manitoba as a Carpenter but moved out to western canada in 2005 when I purchased my first home.  We have bought and sold many 'personal' residences over the years but purchased our first investment property a few months ago.  Northern BC obviously comes with challenges; our build season is 6 months (although we do build 12 months of the year, its just more costly to do so).  Last November and December was challenging as we received over 6' of snow (a record for the area)  As I'm sure other members will comment, We are right in the oil and gas industry and it affects our real estate value significantly.  My interest is in building and holding properties.

I've listened to many of the podcasts and the US market seems very exciting, I suppose our interests are similar as I find other areas intriguing. 

As I mentioned in the first post, my interest is in knowing what other canadian investors are doing and how they're doing it.  I'm able to bring knowledge from a construction standpoint which has been a very popular trend in this corner of the province, there is significant equity opportunities to build equity by simply building from new.  

Thanks for the link to the guide, I'll be taking some time to read through.  

Cheers! 

welcome to biggerpockets, from south BC. I have been looking at both multi and SF in USA, as prices around where I live is too expensive. 

@Myron Dirks
Myron,

LNG I am assuming is a shale deposit?  

Are you an Edmonton or Calgary fan?  I follow the Black Hawks.

Mark
Originally posted by @Mark Creason:
@Myron Dirks
Myron,

LNG I am assuming is a shale deposit?  

Are you an Edmonton or Calgary fan?  I follow the Black Hawks.

Mark

Hi Mark!

LNG is Liquified Nitrogen Gas, essentially a form of what the shale deposits have up in this area.  

Well, If I had to pick either the Oilers or the Flames, I'd go with the Oilers!  I'm actually from Manitoba originally so I consider the Jets as my team!  With that being said, I'm a hockey fan so I could rattle off 10 teams I follow and the Hawks are certainly one of them!

Originally posted by @Shahriar K.:

welcome to biggerpockets, from south BC. I have been looking at both multi and SF in USA, as prices around where I live is too expensive. 

Hi Shahriar!

Prices are crazy down in the lower mainland but I've heard a lot of good deals are still possible to make!  Port Moody is one area that I've been told is going to have a lot of action in the near future!  I've certainly looked at the USA for investment as well, there are a lot of amazing multifamily properties but my concern is the distance between where I live and the properties.  Have you had a lot of success down south?

Hi @Myron Dirks, welcome to the forum. I live and invest in Edmonton and I'm definitely an Oilers fan! I've got some interest in FSJ but I'm not quite ready to seek out other markets. I may have some questions for you regarding that market in the future. 

If there's ever anything I can help you with just let me know.

Ash

Originally posted by @Ash Badry:

Hi @Myron Dirks, welcome to the forum. I live and invest in Edmonton and I'm definitely an Oilers fan! I've got some interest in FSJ but I'm not quite ready to seek out other markets. I may have some questions for you regarding that market in the future. 

If there's ever anything I can help you with just let me know.

Ash

Hi Ash!  Thanks for the warm welcome.  Great to see other local's on this forum, especially hockey fans!

FSJ is a very interesting market right now, there has been a lot of out of town investors moving in but not to the extend that Dawson Creek has had in the past few years.  I'm sure you've got some research into the area but I'm more than happy to help you out with any questions you may have about the area etc.  

Cheers!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here