Investing in Calgary

7 Replies

There seem to be some good deals out there for Calgary condos. I currently hold two in the same building that have been rented out to the same tenants for the last two years and are run by a management company (I live in Toronto)

I’m thinking of picking up a couple more since the prices have dropped. I haven’t had to replace a tenant yet, how are the vacancy rates? Are you having trouble finding tenants in the depressed market? 

Hi Tushar, You're right about there being good deals on condos in Calgary. I work in the Calgary real estate space and have recently seen clients get some great deals. The vacancy rate is dropping, closer to about 6% now. Net migration is due to increase in the next couple of years and tougher mortgage rules have forced potential first-time buyers to stay in the rental market. The future is looking great for condo landlords. 

@Kash Jawed I am in Michigan and like to invest in Ontario (Outside Toronto) . Is it possible for US investors to get a loan on investment properties Through Canadian banks ? if yes what are the loan terms ? Thanks, Amir
I am not sure about US investors getting a loan here. I'd suggest talking to a mortgage broker. 
If I was you, i'd be investing in US, far better opportunities than Ontario + there are many landlord friendly states

Originally posted by @Amir Khan :
@Kash Jawed I am in Michigan and like to invest in Ontario (Outside Toronto) . Is it possible for US investors to get a loan on investment properties Through Canadian banks ? if yes what are the loan terms ?

Thanks, Amir

Originally posted by @Kash Jawed :

how’s the market for smaller multiifamily there?

i echo this question. Not a fan of condo's due to the strata... but i am interested in other options like freehold townhouses as well. Any experiences you'd like to share?

Hi everyone,

Greetings from Calgary!

I have been trying to sell my rental property and for the past few years but the market price keep decreasing where my mortgage owed = market price, currently almost no equity in there

I've considered/ tried following:

- conventional way using realtor - even though seller's realtor willing to take less commission, no guarantee that buyer's realtor is willing to do it as well.

- agreement for sale/ rent to own - fail because tenant buyer defaulted.

- no fee/ low fee realtor brokerage (commfree, 1% realty etc.) - actually they charge more than what it shows in the ad.

- direct marketing through kijiji, facebook, reach out to my real estate investor friends for direct sale or another rent to own - this is what I am doing now.

- 1% fee realtor website (bodecanada) - this is pretty new and I start to put my property there

- rent out to tenants - this is what I am doing now

My property is half duplex with illegal walk out basement suite so I rent out upstairs for $1200 and basement for $700. Tenant pays all utility. I am blessed with great tenants but I still want to sell at market price ($335K-ish) because I lost my job and I am planning to leave the country to find job elsewhere. Although I don’t have enough equity/ extra money for full commission, I am willing to give $5K max for finder's fee.

So, I am wondering if any of you can give me some suggestions of other things that I have to try? :)

Thank you in advance!