For those that invest in Ontario,

13 Replies

Where do you find your deals? I have access to the Toronto MLS, but would like to know where to find off-market deals, and how to go about finding deals outside of the GTA.

Currently I'm actively looking for off-market deals in Ottawa and am also wondering about the best places to find off-market deals. I am in a few whatsapp and facebook real estate groups that sometimes have a for sale by owner deal pop up, and I also look on kijiji and craigslist. 

I am in ottawa and am about to start hunting for my next deal once my refi comes through.   

When I was in hamilton I found a few by talking to my neighbours. There is great value to a person who doesn’t want open houses or people coming through. I’m going to hit my neighbourhood first and maybe a few in Vanier  

Kate, are you in Ottawa? Or just looking here? 

We have found the best deals seem to come through older landlords in the area. They tend to be getting older, and don't want to deal with the new rules, and don't want to put the work into their properties. They just want to get out of the game, it seems. We've come across three landlords locally in the past year who have called us asking when we're interested in buying again.

We also found a recent deal through a private lender that we met with. We were talking with him the other day and he told us to let him know when we're interested in picking up our next project. We met with him originally about a loan, that we didn't end up needing, but we really hit it off, and he has a lot of deals come across his desk, and they're usually people who can't get loans, so need to private lending or have to sell if he says no.

Originally posted by @James Edgar :

I am in ottawa and am about to start hunting for my next deal once my refi comes through.   

When I was in hamilton I found a few by talking to my neighbours. There is great value to a person who doesn’t want open houses or people coming through. I’m going to hit my neighbourhood first and maybe a few in Vanier  

Kate, are you in Ottawa? Or just looking here? 

I'm currently in Toronto but looking to buy my next property in Ottawa and move there within the next year and unfortunately do not know anyone in Ottawa yet

Hey guys! Another great way to find off market deals is by sending Direct Mail to specific areas you are targeting. I would love to network with some local REI's ! Any upcoming rei meetups coming up you're attending? I'm looking to network with possible business partners, brokers & realtors. My PM is always open to new friends.

My deals have been found though MLS, wholesalers as well as private deals though my network. Local meetups, like the one I run, are great places to get the word out that you're looking to buy!

I knock on doors and look for run down houses or 2 mailboxes or meters. Some owners are tired of being landlords and just want an easy way out. 

I think most of this advice can be summed up in two words:

Networking and Knocking.

I found my first (and only) deal through driving for dollars. Actually, a friend and I were driving, he knew of an abandoned house, so we went to look at it. Later, I went to the city tax records, looked up who they were sending the tax bill too, and mailed them a simple letter. A couple weeks later I got a call.

The most responsive tactic I've experienced is this method of finding vacant, boarded up buildings, looking up the owner's mailing info, and sending them a personal letter. I'm negotiating on a 7-plex in Hamilton right now because of this tactic.

Kijiji, direct mail blasts and bandit signs are other tactics I'm using. Nothing has directly led to a deal yet. Kijiji yeilds the most response though. My next tactic is cold calling with Mojo Dialer.

There are many ways to find deals. My style is marketing, marketing and more marketing. (my website, letters & flyers, outdoor signs, pay for referrals, etc) As a wholesaler I sometimes buy from other wholesalers when I want to get busier and I obviously see other people buying the deals that I wholesale!

I find great deals.  I can't tell you my secrets. But I can tell you this....you need to have your financing in place to get a great deals. Because usually, the seller needs to sell quickly and their is no time for the banks to get approval.  

Just closed on a Penthouse at Axiom in downtown Toronto. Bought it a few months ago on assignment, it was under-priced by $100k