• Rental Property Investor
  • BC, Canada
Votes |
Out of province or across border?

Yulin Wang
  • Rental Property Investor
  • BC, Canada
Posted Mar 3 2021, 08:19

Hi my fellow Canadians! I was wondering whether any of you have experience investing out of province within Canada or across the border in the US. Looking to buy a multi-plex with a maximum 200k down (including down payment, closing cost, renos, etc.). I'm located in lower mainland and clearly priced out. Been looking at Kamloops/ Kelowna BC and can't even find anything that fits the bill - never mind the crazy bidding wars going on all over the place. It seems like the only options are either out of province or across the border.

Here are some of my thoughts: Washington/ Oregon states are still accessible by car once the border opens back up, prices look workable, but definitely raises challenges in financing and taxation, as well as poses exchange rate risks; out of province - the closest would be AB and that's further than a weekend quick trip, while any other provinces would definitely require flying which I would much rather avoid (husband is extremely afraid of flying lol).

Care to provide some insight if you have experience investing out of province or across the border? Thank you!

Loading replies...