Is price for removing and replacing gutters reasonable?

8 Replies

Hello!

So we have to replace a gutter on the home we purchased since water can overflow right down a wall. The wood facia is completely rotted and has to be torn off and replaced. We also have to get a cricket installed since water is coming down where the chimney is. We also need to have the drip skirt so water won't overflow and come back into the house again, and extra large downspouts since apparently they could clog when they shouldn't.

Anyways, I know gutter installation is expensive, but I'm not totally sure if the price I was given is reasonable. We had our own gutters and roof completely replaced on our own home and it was a little over 13k, but I am not home to see if we had a copy of the itemized receipt. Does this seem reasonable (Twin Cities, MN)?:

DESCRIPTION QTY REMOVE REPLACE TAX O&P TOTAL

1. R&R Gutter / downspout (aluminum - 6") - 88.00 LF  $1,294.30 

2. Fascia - 1" x 8" - # 55.00 LF   $577.85

3. Fascia - metal - 8" 55.00 LF $386.29

4. Siding Installer - per hour 3.50 HR $469.70

5. Saddle or cricket - 26 to 50 SF 1.00 EA $335.83

6. Drip edge/gutter apron 55.00 LF $162.13

Totals: Repair Fascia/Gutter $3,226.10 (including P&O and tax)

Thanks for your thoughts!

Nope, looks way to high to me. I think you should get some more quotes. 

That seems high

In my area of Maryland , its pretty close , a bit low by about 10%

My property would benefit from gutters, if you find a cheaper option please share who you use @Kelly Conrad

Thanks!

A handyman should be able do install gutters and replace rotten facia. Of course there's also the liability of hiring an unlicensed guy on a ladder too. Find a licensed contracter that will work for $40-50 an hour if you provide materials.

@Kelly Conrad I can't comment on the entire breakdown as I have never had any of that individual work done. However my last gutter company charged $7.00/LF (elbows were considered 1') for remove and replace. $6.00 a foot if you did removal. This was for standard gutters and downspouts, not upsized.

@Oscar Brooks I booked Jeramy from Mid Wess Gutters, LLC, and he quoted me 1400 (he doesn't to crickets), so less than half for the same thing. He was also able to book me on November 8th (other folks were saying they were booking a month out currently). I can let you know once it's done if we are happy with the installation, but here is his Home Advisor's page: https://www.homeadvisor.com/myhomeadvisor/myprojects/102571008/profile/55173272/?template_id=80017&todo_id=1802344924&entry_point_id=31109931&entityID=69587273&comm_auth_dt=201710241619&comm_auth_id=homeadv&comm_auth_hash=bdd51c7532e73d05d857ba86a3d606e5#ratings

Originally posted by @Samantha Klein :

A handyman should be able do install gutters and replace rotten facia. Of course there's also the liability of hiring an unlicensed guy on a ladder too. Find a licensed contracter that will work for $40-50 an hour if you provide materials.

Well , a  " Handyman " usually doesnt own a gutter machine  since they are about a $ 20,000 dollar piece of equipment .   And getting a contractor for around $ 45 an hour is a possibility , but  hanging gutters takes a minimum of 2 people so  thats $ 90 an hour .   The sectional gutters you buy at the store look like crap and  dont hold up long .

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here