Houston based- torn between BHGRE, BHHS, JLA, and EXP Realty

3 Replies

I'll be taking my Reak Estate exam next week and I've interviewed Better Homes and Gardens-Gary Greene, Berkshire Hathaway- Premier Properties, and will be interviewing JLA Realty and Next Home Realty Friday, and someone from EXP realty soon after. All have such good pros and cons that it's making it nearly impossible to choose. Some seem more advanced and modern, some have friendlier commission splits, some are a blend, some have everything I want but expensive fees. I'm looking for anyones thoughts and Experiences with the 5 companies I've listed please.

What do you want out of a broker?  Do you want more hand holding, advertising, leads, etc?   If so, those that charge a high % of commissions will provide that -- which is why they take a bit of your $.   

Personally I just wanted to be left alone.  I found a discount broker that charged $50/month or whatever, and $0 of my commissions and I was off to the races.

So really, it depends on what you level of service you're looking for.  The more service, the higher % of their take. 

I don't have experience with any of the agencies listed. But I would dig into into fees and commission splits. If you can find someone that is transaction based that's a pretty solid. Also, ask if the fees and splits start over each year or if they have any other weird quirks to determine splits that you should know about.  I've heard of agencies requiring you to recruit X number of producing agents in order to get your split down.   

@Robert J. Silva I'm with exp and love it....for me in my specific circumstances. I'm hustling hard to leave a service business I started over a decade ago. Between the two I'm "working" in one form or another 70+ hours a week with each day a mixture of both. Likely about 50/50 time commitment now and I'm ready to quit the service business yesterday. A normal brokerage would not have worked for me due to my schedule constraints. I have time, just not specifically when requested to be in morning training. I knew I wanted training that a transactional brokerage doesn't offer. If you're licensed solely for investment, a transaction broker would be the most cost effective. Exp has a low cap ($16000) before their 20% split ends and they've launched an improved mentorship program that you pay for out of the first three commissions, not out of pocket ahead of time. The old setup was 10% of the first 5 closings while the new is 20% of the first three. Either way, you'll get an absurd amount of training before you ever close a deal and "pay" so the logistics of it isn't as important as the concept to me. Mentorship is in person while there are 30+ hours per week of training to attend on the cloud campus or watch afterwards. My personal mentor is a broker associate who had 25+ years experience as an independent broker in a luxury market before joining exp. Her training is from a life of experience in the industry, not fed from corporate or anything. As I said, it works perfect for me. However, if you have an open schedule and prefer an office environment, one of the brick and mortar brokerages may be better suited to you. I know some say to hyper analyze the fees, but lower fees was not my main priority. If you feel more comfortable with one of the other brokers, that is more important than 10% one way or the other. Once you pop your head up from the hustle in a year or 18 months with some momentum, you can take a look at the fee structure again and compare, knowing what it has cost you. Honestly getting leads and building momentum has very little to do with what broker you choose.