• San Diego, CA
Votes |
Spartan Invest Hidden Fees

Joseph Lin
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Posted Apr 9 2020, 08:34

Hi,

I would like to talk to other people who are investors with Spartan Invest in Alabama to see if they are seeing similar issues.

A little background. I purchased an investment home with them around 12/2018. It took them a while but was finally able to get tenants in around 3/2019 on two year lease. During that three months, I was not charged anything and because it took 3 months to put in tenants, they did not take first months rent as placement fee. Around 2/2020 the tenant broke the lease due to work. Because the tenant broke the lease and owned a pet, I was expecting to receive 2 months rent. Here is where a few things start feeling sketchy to me.

1. They still considered the early-termination fee and pet fee as rent so I was charged the usual management fee.

2. They charged me a lot of fees on move-out, one of which was a double charge for lock change that I had to ask multiple times to remove before they finally did.

3. Even after these move out fees, I'm still getting charged for things such as utility ($139.50), lawn mowing ($45.00), and house cleaning ($50.00). This does not seem right as I did not have to pay for these during the initial three months my property stood empty.

I feel like this is an attempt on their end to recoup losses caused by COVID. Anyone else having these issues with them?

Loading replies...