How to properly price my rooms for rent

How to properly price my rooms for rent

Member since 2020 · 1 post · 1 vote

I own a newly built 4 bedroom town house I’m looking to find tenants now. My question is how do I determine how much my units are worth.

1Reply
30 views

Most Popular Reply

Jake AndronicoBusiness Member
Realtor · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
2y

@Mark Anthony

Generally Facebook will be the best place to research potential comps. Also, simply posting a price and seeing what kind of feedback you get can work as well. 

Who rents rooms in your area? Why would they want to do that as opposed to getting a 1 bedroom apartment/studio? What's likely the duration of their stay? Age? Do they want it furnished or likely have furniture? 

Once you have an idea of your likely avatar of a tenant you can market your rooms accordingly in the future. You may have to work backwards initially and market your property first to find that avatar and see patterns. 

I've rented by the room to students on two homes in Reno, NV and it's completely changed my life. 

Great strategy. 

Best of luck to you!!

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jake AndronicoBusiness Member
    Realtor · Reno, NV · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 938 votes
    2y

    @Mark Anthony

    Generally Facebook will be the best place to research potential comps. Also, simply posting a price and seeing what kind of feedback you get can work as well. 

    Who rents rooms in your area? Why would they want to do that as opposed to getting a 1 bedroom apartment/studio? What's likely the duration of their stay? Age? Do they want it furnished or likely have furniture? 

    Once you have an idea of your likely avatar of a tenant you can market your rooms accordingly in the future. You may have to work backwards initially and market your property first to find that avatar and see patterns. 

    I've rented by the room to students on two homes in Reno, NV and it's completely changed my life. 

    Great strategy. 

    Best of luck to you!!

  • Real Estate Agent · Miami, FL · Member since 2022 · 238 posts · 102 votes
    2y

    Hi Mark, where in Miami? 

  • Preston DeanBusiness Member
    Realtor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2021 · 779 posts · 368 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Mark Anthony:

    I own a newly built 4 bedroom town house I’m looking to find tenants now. My question is how do I determine how much my units are worth.


     Hey Mark, great question!

    To get a starting point I would suggest checking what some townhomes are renting for on Zillow. If your looking to not pay a mortgage at all then I would take your mortgage and just divide it by 3 and charge each room that amount

    IE.

    $2400 mortgage divided by 3 = $800/door and considering your in Miami that is relatively cheap rent. AND considering its a new build your going to be able to get more rent for those rooms.

    United Real Estate DFW Properties 565 Reviews
  • Lender · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 306 posts · 122 votes
    2y

    Facebook Marketplace is likely the best place to look for comps, but ultimately you may need to simply use trial and error to find the right price point (listing the rooms on the higher end and working the price down until you get interest). I would also consider whether you plan to rent the rooms furnished or unfurnished, as that will affect the price as well as how long the tenants are likely to stay. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.