19 Years Old – Looking to House Hack in Cleveland, Need Advice

19 Years Old – Looking to House Hack in Cleveland, Need Advice

Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 0 votes

Im 19 (turning 20 in less than a month) and looking to get started with house hacking here in Cleveland. I’m currently living at home but I’m ready to move out and want to do it strategically instead of just renting an apartment.

I recently changed jobs. I was at my previous employer for about two years, and I just started a new full-time warehouse position. I’ve heard lenders like to see at least two years of employment history, so I’m wondering how that works when you switch employers. Will changing jobs affect my chances of getting approved, even though I have a consistent two-year work history?

I’m planning to move out with my girlfriend, and we’ll both be contributing financially. We’re looking at duplexes or small multifamily properties in the $250k and under range. The plan is to live in one unit and rent out the other to help cover the mortgage.

Realistically, how much should we have saved before trying to move forward? I understand there’s the down payment and closing costs, but I want to make sure we’re prepared beyond just the minimum. What would you consider a responsible amount to have set aside for reserves, repairs, and unexpected expenses?

For those who have house hacked in Cleveland or similar markets, what were the biggest obstacles you ran into early on? I’m trying to think ahead and avoid common mistakes.

I’m serious about building a strong foundation and doing this the right way. I appreciate any advice or insight.

0Reply
104 views

Most Popular Reply

Ryan ThomsonBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
6mo

On the employment change: switching jobs in the same type of work is fine with most lenders. You want 30 days of pay stubs at the new job before closing. Two years of consistent employment history matters more than tenure at one specific company.

For reserves on a $250K duplex: budget roughly $7,500-10K to close with FHA (3.5% down plus costs), plus 3 months of mortgage payments in reserve. You want $15,000-18,000 saved before you make an offer. Less than that and one vacancy or one repair puts you in a tough spot.

One thing most new investors miss in Cleveland: there is solid FHA and VA assumable inventory from 2020-2022 at 2.75-3.5% rates. If you buy a duplex by assuming an existing low-rate loan instead of getting a new one at 6.25%, you save $400-500/month on a $200K balance. On a house hack where the whole goal is reducing your housing cost, that changes the math significantly.

I have closed 7+ assumable mortgage deals. They take 45-90 days and the equity gap is the main challenge, but in the $250K price range it is manageable.

What neighborhoods in Cleveland are you targeting?

The Assumable Guy544 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Ryan ThomsonBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo

    On the employment change: switching jobs in the same type of work is fine with most lenders. You want 30 days of pay stubs at the new job before closing. Two years of consistent employment history matters more than tenure at one specific company.

    For reserves on a $250K duplex: budget roughly $7,500-10K to close with FHA (3.5% down plus costs), plus 3 months of mortgage payments in reserve. You want $15,000-18,000 saved before you make an offer. Less than that and one vacancy or one repair puts you in a tough spot.

    One thing most new investors miss in Cleveland: there is solid FHA and VA assumable inventory from 2020-2022 at 2.75-3.5% rates. If you buy a duplex by assuming an existing low-rate loan instead of getting a new one at 6.25%, you save $400-500/month on a $200K balance. On a house hack where the whole goal is reducing your housing cost, that changes the math significantly.

    I have closed 7+ assumable mortgage deals. They take 45-90 days and the equity gap is the main challenge, but in the $250K price range it is manageable.

    What neighborhoods in Cleveland are you targeting?

    The Assumable Guy544 Reviews
  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo

    Sounds like a solid plan. Ensure you and girlfriend are on the same page with how the property will be held and what will happen in the event one or both of you want out. 

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 923 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Kamar Carter:

    Im 19 (turning 20 in less than a month) and looking to get started with house hacking here in Cleveland. I’m currently living at home but I’m ready to move out and want to do it strategically instead of just renting an apartment.

    I recently changed jobs. I was at my previous employer for about two years, and I just started a new full-time warehouse position. I’ve heard lenders like to see at least two years of employment history, so I’m wondering how that works when you switch employers. Will changing jobs affect my chances of getting approved, even though I have a consistent two-year work history?

    I’m planning to move out with my girlfriend, and we’ll both be contributing financially. We’re looking at duplexes or small multifamily properties in the $250k and under range. The plan is to live in one unit and rent out the other to help cover the mortgage.

    Realistically, how much should we have saved before trying to move forward? I understand there’s the down payment and closing costs, but I want to make sure we’re prepared beyond just the minimum. What would you consider a responsible amount to have set aside for reserves, repairs, and unexpected expenses?

    For those who have house hacked in Cleveland or similar markets, what were the biggest obstacles you ran into early on? I’m trying to think ahead and avoid common mistakes.

    I’m serious about building a strong foundation and doing this the right way. I appreciate any advice or insight.


    Love that you’re thinking about house hacking this early, that’s honestly how a lot of people get ahead fast. Job change usually isn’t a big deal as long as you stayed in the same line of work and have a steady W-2 income, most lenders want to see consistency, not the same employer forever. For a duplex around $250k in the area, you could get in with low-down options like FHA, but I'd still aim to have your down payment plus closing costs covered and at least 3–6 months of reserves so repairs or vacancies don't stress you out. The biggest early hurdles are underestimating maintenance and screening tenants, so buy for cash flow and keep a cushion. You're starting young and doing it strategically, which already puts you way ahead of most people.

  • Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2025 · 123 posts · 34 votes
    6mo

    Hi Kamar,

    What was your role at your previous employer? What is it at your current employer?

    Having a two year employment record puts you in a good position. If the roles are similar, even better.

  • Member since 2026 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    6mo

    Im looking at a few zip codes on the east side 44120, 44118, and pretty much all west side zipcodes

  • Aaron ZimmermanBusiness Member
    Accountant · Chicago, IL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    6mo

    I think $25-30k. You need some reserves for the property and personally. At $250k at 5% down, that's $12,500. With closing costs, you could be up to another $7k somewhat easily. Then pretty reserves plus personal reserves. 

  • Property Manager · Warsaw · Member since 2026 · 107 posts · 37 votes
    5mo

    The fact that you're thinking this strategically at 19 is genuinely impressive. Most people your age are signing apartment leases without a second thought — you're already two steps ahead.

  • Leo CarterPro Member
    Member since 2025 · 27 posts · 22 votes
    5mo

    Hi, I know you posted this a while ago, but I am an investor focused real estate agent here in Cleveland. I analyze properties for cashflow often and could help you find a property that will meet your needs if you are still looking... shoot me a message

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.