House Hackers in Expensive Markets: What do you look for?
I'm in the process of buying my first multi-unit property (2-4) in South Florida using FHA, and after months of running numbers, I keep coming back to the same question: What actually matters when you’re house hacking your first property? Is it Cash flow? Appreciation? Or honestly just surviving the first year until you get another tenant
In Miami, finding a 3–4 unit that even remotely passes the self sufficiency feels like a win by itself. So right now my mindset is pretty simple: Year 1 is about staying afloat; let the rents cover the SS and have my job cover the rest of the negative cashflow (NWROI is still positive). By Year 2, once I move out and all the units are rented, I’m hoping the property can at least produce some positive cash flow, even if it’s not huge. I underwrite 3-5 years out. The bigger goal is making sure the property carries itself well enough that it helps me qualify for the next one: stronger debt coverage, better loan profile, more reserves, and eventually having enough saved for Property 2.
That’s really how I see Property 1, just the bridge that gets me to the next deal. One thing I’ve noticed while digging through listings is how much unit mix changes everything. A lot of the only 1BR and even 2BR and 1BR mix just don’t generate enough rent to justify a $650K+ purchase price here, even when the building looks good on paper. At least when i base the rent off of SAMFR.
For people who’ve already done this, especially in expensive markets, what were you focused on when you bought your first one? And did that change once you were actually living through it?