DFW deal: how would you comp a house hack vs flip with a converted garage?

DFW deal: how would you comp a house hack vs flip with a converted garage?

Investor · Dallas-Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2026 · 14 posts · 6 votes

I looked at a property in the Garland/Dallas area and I am trying to figure out the best way to evaluate it.

It is a 4/3, but part of that includes a converted garage that is already split into multiple rooms with its own entrance and AC. With some work like adding a bathroom and kitchenette, it could realistically become a separate 1 bed unit.

The main house has been nicely updated. Kitchen, bathrooms, and flooring are all done well and it is fully move in ready. What makes this one tricky is that it is both renovated and still has a lot of potential at the same time.

As it sits now, it could be rented or sold without doing anything. But the garage space is more outdated and set up in an odd way, so I think most buyers will just see it as wasted space rather than fully understanding what it could become. There is also an insulated building in the back with AC that could have additional use with some cleanup or light work.

The challenge I am running into is comps. There is really only one nearby property with a similar converted garage, and it is basically the finished version of what this one could be. If I use that as ARV, the deal starts to make more sense. But most of the other comps are standard 3/2 homes with actual garages. If I underwrite it that way, as a 3 bedroom with some converted garage space, the numbers get very tight.

So it feels like this property can be viewed a few different ways depending on the buyer.
- As is, it is basically a 3 bedroom with bonus space.
- With some work, it could be a 4 or even 5 bedroom
- Or it could be set up as a house hack with a separate unit.

I originally tried to make it work as a wholesale deal and could not get it to a number that made sense for the seller using traditional flip metrics, which I understand from their side. At the same time, I do think there is real potential here, just for a different type of buyer. That is where I am getting stuck on how to confidently land on a number that makes sense for both sides.

- How do you approach ARV when there is really only one semi relevant comp and everything else is a different product type?

- If you were buying this as a house hack or co living setup, would you still stick to strict investor discounts or be more flexible based on the potential?

- Would something like being around 20k- 30K under a realistic retail price be enough to make this interesting in that kind of strategy?

I am still learning on the house hacking side. I have reached out to someone local who does co living to get their perspective, but I wanted to ask here as well. I would really appreciate any insight from people who have dealt with properties like this.

Thank you! - Haley

0Reply
121 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Landon ReidPro Member
    Investor · South Jordan, UT · Member since 2026 · 62 posts · 38 votes
    5mo

    Haley, before you comp this either way — check whether that garage conversion was permitted.

    In most DFW municipalities, converting a garage to living space without permits means it doesn't count as legal square footage. Appraisers won't include it, and lenders won't lend against it.

    If it's unpermitted, your ARV is the 3/2 with a garage, not the 4/3. That changes the entire deal.

    If it WAS permitted, comp it as a 4/3 and you'll find more support. Either way, that's the first question to answer before anything else.

  • Investor · Dallas-Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2026 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    5mo

    @Landon ReidThat’s really helpful, thank you for pointing that out.

    I haven’t been able to confirm the permit yet, but I did check DCAD and it shows the garage as an enclosed improvement (~418 sq ft) rather than part of the main living area.

    So it seems like it’s not being counted as true square footage, which lines up with what you’re saying. I’ll keep looking into it, but I’m leaning toward underwriting it as a 3/2 with upside.

  • Diego AlvaradoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Flower Mound, TX · Member since 2016 · 297 posts · 139 votes
    5mo

    As you put it, having a different unit will make sense, however that is a investment and it has to be permitted. Mainly an new bathroom will add a lot of additional cost.

    My view here is to have it as a coliving space, Garland is a very nice area to offer that service, but the investment to have it functional is a problem, it adds a lot of risk to the investor which will be looking to a higher discount.

  • Investor · Dallas-Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2026 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    5mo

    Thanks Diego, that makes a lot of sense. I did find out that the garage conversion was permitted. Still, I can definitely see the risks and added costs are to much without a bigger discount than the seller is willing to accept. I really appreciate you taking the time to look!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.