Are all AirBnb renters this entitled!?

Are all AirBnb renters this entitled!?

Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Got our first booking through AirBnb. Guest left us private feedback (wrote it on a notebook and texted us photos), although she emphasized that she "WANTED" to make it public. Some of it was warranted, but some of it was someone expecting a luxury stay from a mid-tier rental. I have not written my review of her yet.

As an AirBnb host, I should "always" provide AC, all basic condiments, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, throw blankets, cling wrap and foil, charging cords, a fire pit, and wood. I should "sometimes" supply ice, a welcome basket with mini snacks and water, and a notebook to leave comments. I have never had any of these supplied for me at an AirBnb.

She called my towels cheap, the neighborhood so-so, and was upset that there was no dishwasher or AC. Everyone has told is we need to raise our prices; she said we were overpriced.

This is a 500 SF house in the suburbs of northeast Ohio. It isn't a tourist destination. Neither a dishwasher nor an AC was listed as an amenity, so I don't know why she expected them. There physically isn't room for a dishwasher. You can see that in the photos. And we do supply a window AC unit for the bedroom.

The crazy thing is, this woman was local. She was renting an AirBnb about 20 minutes from her own house. We have someone there now and two more bookings before a month-long Furnished Finder renter comes in. We wanted to use AirBnb to fill the gaps between our 30+ day stays, but now I'm worried we're going to get destroyed with bad reviews.

2Reply
155 views

Most Popular Reply

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Nicole Heasley Beitenman:
Quote from @Mike Dymski:

Take this with a grain of salt as I don't own any STR but, as a guest, I would want to know that the house did not have AC (without having to find it in an amenity). Time will tell if you get that feedback from other guests.

As an Ohioian, I only expect AC if I'm traveling south. In September, it would never occur to me to even look for AC. I guess it's a culture difference. We can add a second unit to the living room. I always check the amenities before I book a place. 

 Most guests are not going to be Ohioans. You need to think like your average guest, not a local. Most people expect AC when traveling. Doesn't matter if that's right or not, it's reality...

See this reply in the discussion

45 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Zachary Deal:

    I wouldn't worry about it! As a frequent guest of Airbnbs throughout the country I think the most important thing is be honest and clear in your description about the property and it's location so your guests know what to expect. Having basics like soap, shampoo, etc is important but I don't think condiments, fancy towels, charging etc are ever expected or included unless specifically noted in the description (can drive more bookings depending on the market)


    I used to have long term Airbnb room only tenant that's acting like a Property Inspector. She told in review such and such room is missing smoke alarm and so on. Well, she's  an Airbnb superhost as well. Next time I would deny request if the booker is Superhost LOL.

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nicole Heasley Beitenman:

    Got our first booking through AirBnb. Guest left us private feedback (wrote it on a notebook and texted us photos), although she emphasized that she "WANTED" to make it public. Some of it was warranted, but some of it was someone expecting a luxury stay from a mid-tier rental. I have not written my review of her yet.

    As an AirBnb host, I should "always" provide AC, all basic condiments, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, throw blankets, cling wrap and foil, charging cords, a fire pit, and wood. I should "sometimes" supply ice, a welcome basket with mini snacks and water, and a notebook to leave comments. I have never had any of these supplied for me at an AirBnb.

    She called my towels cheap, the neighborhood so-so, and was upset that there was no dishwasher or AC. Everyone has told is we need to raise our prices; she said we were overpriced.

    This is a 500 SF house in the suburbs of northeast Ohio. It isn't a tourist destination. Neither a dishwasher nor an AC was listed as an amenity, so I don't know why she expected them. There physically isn't room for a dishwasher. You can see that in the photos. And we do supply a window AC unit for the bedroom.

    The crazy thing is, this woman was local. She was renting an AirBnb about 20 minutes from her own house. We have someone there now and two more bookings before a month-long Furnished Finder renter comes in. We wanted to use AirBnb to fill the gaps between our 30+ day stays, but now I'm worried we're going to get destroyed with bad reviews.

    I’ve been on both sides of the equation, as a landlord and as a renter.  I think we are at the point now with STR that it’s a good idea to disclose anything someone may regard as a negative in the description.  Nothing wrong with saying something like “ this is NOT a luxury rental - it’s a clean, well kept BASIC house with the essentials.  Please note there is no ac as it’s not necessary in this area most of the time.”   
    Should eliminate disappointment on renters behalf. 
    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Member since 2021 · 401 posts · 254 votes
    3y

    I thought the point of AIrbnb was to provide a hotel like turnkey experience wile providing a kitchen and a location that hotels don't reside in. Otherwise, why not just go to a hotel?

    I think the tenants are as entitled as the owners. Tons of fees like extra for pets, extra for guests, extra for charging etc and stipulations like no fireplace use, no parties, no whatever. I've lived in plenty of hotels around the world and they're hasle free, house keeping every day and room service etc.

    If you can't provide that hotel like turnkey experience to guests then maybe renovate and fix all those problems she complained about. That's what I did with my rental and the units I'm building out. The customer should drive these decisions, not the equally entitled owners opinions on this forum.

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @K S.:

    I thought the point of AIrbnb was to provide a hotel like turnkey experience wile providing a kitchen and a location that hotels don't reside in. Otherwise, why not just go to a hotel?

    I think the tenants are as entitled as the owners. Tons of fees like extra for pets, extra for guests, extra for charging etc and stipulations like no fireplace use, no parties, no whatever. I've lived in plenty of hotels around the world and they're hasle free, house keeping every day and room service etc.

    If you can't provide that hotel like turnkey experience to guests then maybe renovate and fix all those problems she complained about. That's what I did with my rental and the units I'm building out. The customer should drive these decisions, not the equally entitled owners opinions on this forum.


    Actually, the original point of AirBnb was to allow consumers to save money by staying in someone's house instead of getting a hotel. 

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Don Konipol:
    I’ve been on both sides of the equation, as a landlord and as a renter.  I think we are at the point now with STR that it’s a good idea to disclose anything someone may regard as a negative in the description.  Nothing wrong with saying something like “ this is NOT a luxury rental - it’s a clean, well kept BASIC house with the essentials.  Please note there is no ac as it’s not necessary in this area most of the time.”   
    Should eliminate disappointment on renters behalf. 
    I did imply in my description that it was not a luxury stay and priced it accordingly. But implying probably isn't going to help me when I'm dealing with guests who don't even look at all the photos. I agree with you that my description needs revised to be more explicit. I appreciate the advice!
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Sedona, AZ · Member since 2017 · 754 posts · 504 votes
    3y
    Quote from @K S.:

    I thought the point of AIrbnb was to provide a hotel like turnkey experience wile providing a kitchen and a location that hotels don't reside in. Otherwise, why not just go to a hotel?

    I think the tenants are as entitled as the owners. Tons of fees like extra for pets, extra for guests, extra for charging etc and stipulations like no fireplace use, no parties, no whatever. I've lived in plenty of hotels around the world and they're hasle free, house keeping every day and room service etc.

    If you can't provide that hotel like turnkey experience to guests then maybe renovate and fix all those problems she complained about. That's what I did with my rental and the units I'm building out. The customer should drive these decisions, not the equally entitled owners opinions on this forum.

    The point is to provide lots of getaway options for renters and provide rental income for owners. I only book hotels if it's a 1-2 night stay, as the cleaning and other fees don't feel worth it to me for short stays. I LOVE treating my wife and sons to a private getaway, regardless of whether hotels are in the area.

    In fact on Airbnb you can post stays without kitchens, or any other features- hence the ability to search for and require those features that are important to you.

    That being said, my advice (so they have the strongest ROI) to clients is to provide a polished and pampered experience for guests, and beautify homes, both curb appeal + interior + yard/hangout spots. Homes that stick out in all the right ways, generally perform the best, by far- usually 20%-50% higher occupancy + market or even above market ADR.

  • Member since 2021 · 401 posts · 254 votes
    3y
    Ok lets revise that, like Chad said, it gives you the flexibility to pick and choose what ammenities you want but as far as saving money, are you really?. I'd rather stay in an $80 hotel cabin in the mountains than an $80 shack right next to it on airbnb. It's hit or miss with airbnb but the consistency with hotels seems much better. I don't have to read the fine print at a hotel to know weather or not I have to bring my own towels and shampoo.
  • Member since 2021 · 401 posts · 254 votes
    3y

    Isn't that what I said? Listen to the customer insteead dismissing them as entitled narcisists. It's a business and you have to cater towards entitled narcisists like every other business does on the planet. Otherwise, if they aren't getting anything more than you can get from a hotel, then people will just get the hotel. Look at tenants like machine objects who will help your business with their critisism and not let them destroy you emotionally. They are actually helping you plug the holes in your game. I'd find a cheap shower kit like the ones you've seen at every hotel you've ever been to for starters. I saw one airbnb with custom towles with their mascot on it called Babe Bear. Won't ever forget that place.

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nicole Heasley Beitenman:

    You're getting good advice, but you probably already knew most of it. Your place sounds fine and I think the guest is a little wacko, but hey it's part of the game....

    Just fine-tune it up a little bit and you'll be fine I think....

    But yes, be really specific in your listing about what you do and don't have. Don't apologize, just state the facts so you're covered....


  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @K S.:

    I thought the point of AIrbnb was to provide a hotel like turnkey experience wile providing a kitchen and a location that hotels don't reside in. Otherwise, why not just go to a hotel?

    I think the tenants are as entitled as the owners. Tons of fees like extra for pets, extra for guests, extra for charging etc and stipulations like no fireplace use, no parties, no whatever. I've lived in plenty of hotels around the world and they're hasle free, house keeping every day and room service etc.

    If you can't provide that hotel like turnkey experience to guests then maybe renovate and fix all those problems she complained about. That's what I did with my rental and the units I'm building out. The customer should drive these decisions, not the equally entitled owners opinions on this forum.

     Big NOOOOO.

    It's all in pricing.

    But Airbnb support at that time mentioned we should disclose like @Don Konipol mentioned above.

    You want luxury ? pay 6 star.

  • Lender · CA · Member since 2018 · 638 posts · 393 votes
    3y

    Learned this one the hard way. NEVER let someone stay at your Airbnb if they are local.  For whatever reason it only leads to trouble.  

  • Member since 2019 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Clayton Silva:

    Learned this one the hard way. NEVER let someone stay at your Airbnb if they are local.  For whatever reason it only leads to trouble.  


     You are 100% correct. That's why I pre-screen my tenant first, if they come from the same town it's automatic rejection. If they don't have professional job, it's auto rejection as well.

    Actually I hate doing that but it's kinda necessary. It's also reason why I switched back to LTR from STR, more sleep at very least.

  • Lender · CA · Member since 2018 · 638 posts · 393 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Clayton Silva:

    Learned this one the hard way. NEVER let someone stay at your Airbnb if they are local.  For whatever reason it only leads to trouble.  


     You are 100% correct. That's why I pre-screen my tenant first, if they come from the same town it's automatic rejection. If they don't have professional job, it's auto rejection as well.

    Actually I hate doing that but it's kinda necessary. It's also reason why I switched back to LTR from STR, more sleep at very least.


     100% I couldn't agree more!

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Mark Cruse:

    Maybe it is cultural but in DC, AC is without question a basic requirement you better have. For me personally, I have come accustomed to dishwashers as well. The only airbnbs I've ever been in are my own, but in all my timeshare locations I have never been in one without AC or dishwasher.  Maybe ohio is different but I use my timeshare all over the country.  


     There's physically no space for a dishwasher. Otherwise, I wouldn't cheap out on that. All my other rentals have always had one. That being said, she could see in the photos that the house didn't have one. We did have an AC unit in the bedroom which is sufficient for Northeast Ohio in September. We do intend to add a second unit next spring, but I'll probably bump that purchase up since all the AC units are on sale or clearance now.

  • Investor · Youngstown, OH · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:
    Quote from @Zachary Deal:

    I wouldn't worry about it! As a frequent guest of Airbnbs throughout the country I think the most important thing is be honest and clear in your description about the property and it's location so your guests know what to expect. Having basics like soap, shampoo, etc is important but I don't think condiments, fancy towels, charging etc are ever expected or included unless specifically noted in the description (can drive more bookings depending on the market)


    I used to have long term Airbnb room only tenant that's acting like a Property Inspector. She told in review such and such room is missing smoke alarm and so on. Well, she's  an Airbnb superhost as well. Next time I would deny request if the booker is Superhost LOL.


     I'm guessing I could look at their profile and see if they're an AirBnb host, right?

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nicole Heasley Beitenman:
    It should tell you when they book....
  • Rental Property Investor · Mukilteo, WA · Member since 2017 · 52 posts · 53 votes
    3y

    @Carlos Ptriawan recently switched both my STRs to LTRs. All the guest bullsh*t wasn’t worth it anymore.

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Nicole Heasley Beitenman:

    Got our first booking through AirBnb. Guest left us private feedback (wrote it on a notebook and texted us photos), although she emphasized that she "WANTED" to make it public. Some of it was warranted, but some of it was someone expecting a luxury stay from a mid-tier rental. I have not written my review of her yet.

    As an AirBnb host, I should "always" provide AC, all basic condiments, shampoo, conditioner, body wash, throw blankets, cling wrap and foil, charging cords, a fire pit, and wood. I should "sometimes" supply ice, a welcome basket with mini snacks and water, and a notebook to leave comments. I have never had any of these supplied for me at an AirBnb.

    She called my towels cheap, the neighborhood so-so, and was upset that there was no dishwasher or AC. Everyone has told is we need to raise our prices; she said we were overpriced.

    This is a 500 SF house in the suburbs of northeast Ohio. It isn't a tourist destination. Neither a dishwasher nor an AC was listed as an amenity, so I don't know why she expected them. There physically isn't room for a dishwasher. You can see that in the photos. And we do supply a window AC unit for the bedroom.

    The crazy thing is, this woman was local. She was renting an AirBnb about 20 minutes from her own house. We have someone there now and two more bookings before a month-long Furnished Finder renter comes in. We wanted to use AirBnb to fill the gaps between our 30+ day stays, but now I'm worried we're going to get destroyed with bad reviews.


     Some guests are very entitled. I've noticed that in my investing journey. This is the case with mid-term rentals as well. However, I would try to provide as much value to guests as possible. These things are common in the business. 

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @K S.  You won't get daily housekeeping in most hotels anymore. 

    I  think sometimes people do have higher expectations and don't read the ad.  You do have to downsell by highlighting what you don't have.  Please note:  Window AC.  south of Rt 74, drive to xyz location.  Realistic but not negative.

  • Andrew SteffensBusiness Member
    Tampa, FL · Member since 2022 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    Its purely numbers.  If you analyzed 100 rentals you will see a few are bad (leave a mess, leave late, etc), a few are complainers/nitpickers, a few are extraordinarily good, and the majority are just fine.  We have done nearly 30,000 reservations in 7 years and have seen quite a few people like this pass through our doors.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.