Looking for second investment property in San Diego mid-term/house hack/short-term

Looking for second investment property in San Diego mid-term/house hack/short-term

Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 4 votes

We bought a house in the SDSU area last year with an attached JADU. We are mid-term leasing the attached studio to travel nurses. 

We are looking to purchase our next property: 2-4 units, $1 - $1.4 mid-term/house hack with 20% down. Prefer light renovations/updates, and ability to force equity with opportunity to add ADU(s).

The MTR market definitely seems to have gotten more competitive in San Diego over the last year. We are looking at mostly central San Diego (Normal Heights, University Heights, Hillcrest, Talmadge, SDSU). Open to La Mesa and West Chula Vista, although I have concerns that they will be tougher to appeal to MTR. We are open to STR and just applied for a license on our current place.

Looking off-market now because on-market is so slim. I know there are a few people on here that do MTR in San Diego, in different areas. Just trying to make a decision on what might work best right now for our next move on buy and hold. Any feedback/insight would be appreciated.

3Reply
177 views

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • AJ WongBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Oregon & California Coast · Member since 2022 · 834 posts · 696 votes
    2y

    HI Michael, congrats on the success to date. I specialize in STR's along the coast and have had a lot of success with MTR's for medical professionals as well. Here in SoCal I am very high on Chula Vista, Bonita and SDSU in general especially with the conventional center under construction. I also have some great investor jumbo loan resources as well. Feel free to connect anytime I can share a few multi family homes on my immediate radar. Cheers.

    Sesemi | STR Brokers powered by Fathom Realty 516 Reviews
  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Daley:

    We bought a house in the SDSU area last year with an attached JADU. We are mid-term leasing the attached studio to travel nurses. 

    We are looking to purchase our next property: 2-4 units, $1 - $1.4 mid-term/house hack with 20% down. Prefer light renovations/updates, and ability to force equity with opportunity to add ADU(s).

    The MTR market definitely seems to have gotten more competitive in San Diego over the last year. We are looking at mostly central San Diego (Normal Heights, University Heights, Hillcrest, Talmadge, SDSU). Open to La Mesa and West Chula Vista, although I have concerns that they will be tougher to appeal to MTR. We are open to STR and just applied for a license on our current place.

    Looking off-market now because on-market is so slim. I know there are a few people on here that do MTR in San Diego, in different areas. Just trying to make a decision on what might work best right now for our next move on buy and hold. Any feedback/insight would be appreciated.


     You may already know this (you should know this), the JADU requires owner occupancy on the property to be rented as an individual unit.   This should have been conveyed as a deed restriction.  This will impact the rents on your current home when you move to house hack.

    I believe the MTR/STR market in San Diego has suffered similar impacts as many other STR markets resulting from the fed trying to slow the economy. This off season was our slowest since the Great Recession (excluding COVID lockdown periods). So far the high season is performing much better than the off season, but not as well as 2019, 2021, or 2022.

    Good luck


  • Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    I actually didn't realize JADU rental had to be on-premise. I thought it only was required for STR. That will impact how we purchase our next property.

  • Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y
    Quote from @AJ Wong:

    HI Michael, congrats on the success to date. I specialize in STR's along the coast and have had a lot of success with MTR's for medical professionals as well. Here in SoCal I am very high on Chula Vista, Bonita and SDSU in general especially with the conventional center under construction. I also have some great investor jumbo loan resources as well. Feel free to connect anytime I can share a few multi family homes on my immediate radar. Cheers.


    Thank you, AJ. The Bayfront project and University make West Chula Vista interesting. I know it will have value in the near future, just wasn't sure how well STR and MTR is doing. You are having success?

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Daley:
    Quote from @AJ Wong:

    HI Michael, congrats on the success to date. I specialize in STR's along the coast and have had a lot of success with MTR's for medical professionals as well. Here in SoCal I am very high on Chula Vista, Bonita and SDSU in general especially with the conventional center under construction. I also have some great investor jumbo loan resources as well. Feel free to connect anytime I can share a few multi family homes on my immediate radar. Cheers.


    Thank you, AJ. The Bayfront project and University make West Chula Vista interesting. I know it will have value in the near future, just wasn't sure how well STR and MTR is doing. You are having success?


     In addition to the Chula Vista bay front redevelopment, South Bay also has the Brown Field expansion.  Buying raw land near brown field could be a good long term play.   Very passive, but expect it will require patience.  

    Good luck

  • Twana RasoulBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Daley:

    We bought a house in the SDSU area last year with an attached JADU. We are mid-term leasing the attached studio to travel nurses. 

    We are looking to purchase our next property: 2-4 units, $1 - $1.4 mid-term/house hack with 20% down. Prefer light renovations/updates, and ability to force equity with opportunity to add ADU(s).

    The MTR market definitely seems to have gotten more competitive in San Diego over the last year. We are looking at mostly central San Diego (Normal Heights, University Heights, Hillcrest, Talmadge, SDSU). Open to La Mesa and West Chula Vista, although I have concerns that they will be tougher to appeal to MTR. We are open to STR and just applied for a license on our current place.

    Looking off-market now because on-market is so slim. I know there are a few people on here that do MTR in San Diego, in different areas. Just trying to make a decision on what might work best right now for our next move on buy and hold. Any feedback/insight would be appreciated.


     I operate several mid term rentals and I'm still a big fan.  With that price range you are looking in I'd explore doing just 5% down conventional for a mutlifamily rather than 20% if you want to be able to save your funds to be able to purchase again sooner.

  • Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    We are fortunate to be getting 20% gifted to us. Even with 20% down I'm having a tough time getting it to pencil out with current inventory and rates in these areas.

  • Twana RasoulBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2y

    Nothing will pencil, value add opportunities are needed to make this happen in San Diego whether through renovations, additions, ADUs, etc.

  • Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    This is why I'm thinking more about taking the STR route until I can refi with a better interest rate. 2 units (2/1) in a good area at $1.3 with some ability to update and has a garage or ADU capability would work if we can get $5000 per month for each unit.

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    2y
    Quote from @Michael Daley:

    This is why I'm thinking more about taking the STR route until I can refi with a better interest rate. 2 units (2/1) in a good area at $1.3 with some ability to update and has a garage or ADU capability would work if we can get $5000 per month for each unit.

    $10k STR rent on $1.3m property at 80% LTV  will be negative cash flow when properly allocating for all the expenses.  Prop tax alone will be ~12% of the rent.  P&I will be ~70% of rent.  Pm likely ~25%.  I smmsssuming vacancy is built into your $10kmonth.   Before maintenance/cap, insurance, misc 107% of rent. 

    Next in this environment you may be challenged to get $10k rent on $1.3m property.   I know I will not obtain this rent to price ratio this year on my San Diego STRs.  

    make sure you do conservative underwriting. In my view an STR that does not project far over a 1% rent to cost ratio is going to bleed cash in our market.

    Good luck

  • Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    2y

    Thank you, Dan.  I appreciate your advice. I just got the deal sent over to me yesterday, before I posted, so I haven't run the numbers on it, and knew that it would be a stretch.

    I am still gathering info on the deal, and haven't done many projections for STR. It's in South Park, on a good street. One the units is updated with solar. The other is in good condition but needs updating. I haven't seen them yet. I am estimating at least $50,000 between furnishing it and updating.

    How does this look:

    $1.3 million with 20% down DSCR loan buy-down the rate from 9% to 8% 30 year = $9,332 (principal/interest/tax).

    Utilities - $750

    Income - Was thinking $250 per day but let's say $225 per day for each unit (30 days) just looked at AirBNB and AirDNA in area = $13,500 (.20 vacancy) = $10,800.

    I would manage it, but still need to think of cleaning fees. It would be new furniture and updated appliances, but still need to think of capital expenses.

    Basic Supplies (tp/shampoo/paper towels) - $200 per month

    Cleaning - $250?

    Maintenance/platform fees/cap ex/rental insurance - $2,000

    Income - $10,800

    Expenses - $12,532

    Is this somewhat accurate? Where can I look to get a better understanding on how to underwrite it?

    In this market I'm not looking to really cash flow, but want to at least break even until I can refi with better rates and value add.

    Where/what would you suggest to look at in San Diego right now?

  • Dan H.Pro Member
    Investor · Poway, CA · Member since 2015 · 7k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    2y

    I am not sure about what you are reflecting in the cleaning number but for me 1) it is shocking what cleaners charge but it is not where you want to try to save money for quality 2) it is a pass through, the guest pays it. 

    $250 per turn would be for larger unit and very good job.  Small units start about $150.  Most hosts pass this through to the guest.  It is big impact on short stays and less impact on longer stays. 

    My cleaners have the basic resupply built into their costs which means guest is paying for the consumables.  

    I have no units in South Park but 1) 3 of my 4 STR units had significantly higher vacancy than 20%. My 2 STR units in pt loma had over 50% vacancy. This was my slowest off season since the Great Recession (not counting Covid lock down periods) 2) when building up your reviews you will likely be best served by having a rate below market. If you charge market with a few reviews, why would I choose your unit over similar priced unit that has dozens of reviews? I think 1st year it will be real noticeable 2nd year slightly noticeable. So close to 2 full years to obtain optimized rents.

    Your maintenance/cap ex is far too low for the long term. You will be lucky to get 20 years out of kitchen at STR quality and should maybe plan for 15 years. I am thinking near $400/month per unit including furnishings. 2 units would be $9600. It may seem like my number seems high but the cap ex on the kitchen alone with 15 year life is approaching $100/month. Water heater 12 years to replacement (may need some service before replacement).

    Recognize many cap ex items are years away. Roof ~20 years, STR kitchen 15 years, HVAC 15 years, etc. However their monthly cost should be accounted for in your projections

    Good luck

  • Member since 2024 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    1y

    Fine a seller financing deal 10% down interest only payments for 10 years 4% I/O with option to extend until a ballon payment. Can't beat that cash on cash return. There are deals like that out there.

  • Zachary DealPro Member
    Lender · Member since 2023 · 465 posts · 425 votes
    1y

    Lots of people on here have great advice regarding location. I'd double check any addresses AirDNA for average projected revenue. Ideally you are exceeding the AirDNA numbers but it can be a good gut check on average rates/occupancy for that specific neighborhood, etc

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.