Why MTR "arbitrage" is a terrible business model (in my opinion)

Why MTR "arbitrage" is a terrible business model (in my opinion)

Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 231 posts · 256 votes

Hey everyone — Bailey here 👋 I own 10 Mid-Term Rentals (all owned, no partners) and co-host several more.

Over the years, I’ve watched a lot of people jump into “MTR Arbitrage” (and also Airbnb Arbitrage) because it looks like an easy shortcut into the space. I get why it’s tempting…

But in my opinion, it’s actually one of the worst business models you can build if your goal is long-term wealth.

Here’s why:

  • All the risk, none of the upside — you handle cleaning, utilities, furniture, and tenant issues… but get zero appreciation, equity, or tax benefits that OWNERS get.
  • You’re building on a foundation you don’t own — long-term wealth comes from ownership, not subleasing.

  • Arbitrage is short-term cashflow; ownership is long-term wealth — one builds you an income stream, the other builds nothing after you stop working.

  • Landlords change their mind — sales, refinancing, or rule changes can instantly kill your business.

  • Your business depends on someone else’s asset — one non-renewal and your “business” disappears overnight.

  • You can’t reposition, refinance, or force value — you’re stuck with whatever rent the landlord charges you.

    Curious to hear all opinions on ownership vs. arbitrage —

    except from the gurus who make 90% of their income teaching arbitrage instead of doing it...

  • 1Reply
    129 views

    Most Popular Reply

    Payton HaightBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 86 votes
    9mo

    My opinion is: it has it's place. It is important to recognize it is a hospitality business - not real estate investing. I am arbitraging several units purely for the income. I can then use that money to buy more real estate. In my case, the owner is furnishing the properties and we have a long-term lease which establishes the rent structure over the next 4-years, with options to opt-out. I would not be interested in arbitrage if I was paying to furnish the properties. The payback for the initial investment would take too long. 

    Since I way already managing a small portfolio of my own MTR's and STR's, it was not a heavy lift to add a few more units. With that said, I do not love rental arbitrage model as I do not have full control of the assets (for example I need to request the owner to get capex items fixed, etc.) and my longer-term plan is to manage only properties I own.

    See this reply in the discussion

    6 Replies

    Jump to latestLatest
    • Payton HaightBusiness Member
      Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 86 votes
      9mo

      My opinion is: it has it's place. It is important to recognize it is a hospitality business - not real estate investing. I am arbitraging several units purely for the income. I can then use that money to buy more real estate. In my case, the owner is furnishing the properties and we have a long-term lease which establishes the rent structure over the next 4-years, with options to opt-out. I would not be interested in arbitrage if I was paying to furnish the properties. The payback for the initial investment would take too long. 

      Since I way already managing a small portfolio of my own MTR's and STR's, it was not a heavy lift to add a few more units. With that said, I do not love rental arbitrage model as I do not have full control of the assets (for example I need to request the owner to get capex items fixed, etc.) and my longer-term plan is to manage only properties I own.

    • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 231 posts · 256 votes
      9mo

      Appreciate the perspective, Payton — and I agree with a lot of this.

      Arbitrage definitely can work when the terms are unusually favorable (furnished units, long leases, opt-outs, etc.) and when you already run a hospitality operation.

      My main point is just this:

      Arbitrage is a cashflow tactic.
      Ownership is a wealth strategy.

      Most beginners get sold arbitrage as “real estate investing,” when really it’s a high-overhead hospitality business built on someone else’s asset.

      Totally respect that you’re using the income to buy more property — that’s the smart way to do it.

      Thanks for adding to the convo!

      • Payton HaightBusiness Member
        Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2021 · 124 posts · 86 votes
        9mo
        Quote from @Bailey Kramer:

        Appreciate the perspective, Payton — and I agree with a lot of this.

        Arbitrage definitely can work when the terms are unusually favorable (furnished units, long leases, opt-outs, etc.) and when you already run a hospitality operation.

        My main point is just this:

        Arbitrage is a cashflow tactic.
        Ownership is a wealth strategy.

        Most beginners get sold arbitrage as “real estate investing,” when really it’s a high-overhead hospitality business built on someone else’s asset.

        Totally respect that you’re using the income to buy more property — that’s the smart way to do it.

        Thanks for adding to the convo!

        Hey Bailey, I agree with your main points. Rental arbitrage is a business to generate cash flow. It is also a business that operators/owners have very limited control over. Considering that lack of control, I would not consider 'retiring' of off a rental arbitrage business no matter how much cash flow it is generating. That cash flow could be gone in a few years if/when the owner decides to sell or not renew their lease. 

        I definitely would not consider arbitrage if I had to furnish the place with only a 1-year lease in place. Best case, it will likely take a few weeks to get the property set up, pictures taken, and listed. Then 6 months to recoup the initial investment in furniture. MAYBE get a few months of cash flow before the owner decides whether they want to renew your lease. Agree that is risky and a LOT of work for minimal upside.

        Ownership provides much more control in addition to the tax and appreciation benefits. Long-term that is a more stable foundation to build on. Great discussion.

    • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      9mo

      Very true. Arbitrage is a business. You are utilizing Real Estate as part of it but as you said you don't own it. It's purely for cashflow and run as a hospitality business. 

    • Allen DuanPro Member
      Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 590 posts · 463 votes
      9mo

      Hey Bailey, I have some pretty strong opinions about MTR arbitrage as this is how we got started and we had 10+ properties at one point before we pivoted to what we're doing now: MTR property management.

      The key phrase you mentioned is "if your goal is long-term wealth." I mostly agree with this because an arbitrage business does not gain any equity in the real estate obviously. I don't agree in part because a successful arbitrage business is an asset unto itself that has market value and can be sold. 

      This is a big "if" though. The question is, can someone build a big successful arbitrage business that has value? With the recent closure of Sonder which may be the largest arbitrage business in the world, maybe it's already been proven that it can't be done at scale.

      Most people who do arbitrage are not doing it for long-term wealth building. They're doing it for immediate cash flow. If cash flow is the goal, arbitrage done right is much better than purchasing real estate.

      I remember when I first realized the insane amount of leverage when building a business compared to the returns on investing in real estate. Of course building a successful business is much harder than owning rental property. More risk, more reward right? =)

      I love your last line too. Some great advice I heard a while ago: "Don't pay coaches who make all of their money from coaching."

      • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 231 posts · 256 votes
        9mo
        Quote from @Allen Duan:

        Hey Bailey, I have some pretty strong opinions about MTR arbitrage as this is how we got started and we had 10+ properties at one point before we pivoted to what we're doing now: MTR property management.

        The key phrase you mentioned is "if your goal is long-term wealth." I mostly agree with this because an arbitrage business does not gain any equity in the real estate obviously. I don't agree in part because a successful arbitrage business is an asset unto itself that has market value and can be sold. 

        This is a big "if" though. The question is, can someone build a big successful arbitrage business that has value? With the recent closure of Sonder which may be the largest arbitrage business in the world, maybe it's already been proven that it can't be done at scale.

        Most people who do arbitrage are not doing it for long-term wealth building. They're doing it for immediate cash flow. If cash flow is the goal, arbitrage done right is much better than purchasing real estate.

        I remember when I first realized the insane amount of leverage when building a business compared to the returns on investing in real estate. Of course building a successful business is much harder than owning rental property. More risk, more reward right? =)

        I love your last line too. Some great advice I heard a while ago: "Don't pay coaches who make all of their money from coaching."


         Yea totally fair - and I know there's tons of people who make money through Arbitrage!

        But when you say "Immediate cashflow" that sounds great, but it's not true.  Because you have to buy furniture...

        Of course every property can differ, and if you score deals with properties that already have furniture, than that's a huge win!  But from the people I know who've done or do arbitrage, there spending a significant amount of money in furniture, and they don't "break even" from the furniture investment for 6-12 months.  Which at that time, they hope and pray the landlord doesn't kick them out (or sell the property, etc.)

        I do like the management or co-hosting side of things tho - because there's no financial risk, only upside!  Some may argue the upside isn't as big as arbitrage, but the downsides aren't even close!

    Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.