Are suburbs the sweet spot for mid-term rentals?

Are suburbs the sweet spot for mid-term rentals?

Investor · Member since 2022 · 234 posts · 144 votes

I recently heard from an investor who focuses on MTR that some of the best locations for them tend to be suburban areas rather than densely populated urban centers. Never really thought about it that way. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

1Reply
128 views

Most Popular Reply

Realtor · Oklahoma City · Member since 2020 · 258 posts · 139 votes
6mo

@Mose Gebremeskel, I used to have mine in the suburbs of Mid NW Oklahoma City. 

Right in between several different medical districts (10-15 mins) from several areas, plus close to the fairgrounds. In my opinion it was great since it was a typical homeowner neighborhood but didn't want to keep all the nice furnishings, so I left them there then did MTR for a couple years, while doing STR in between to fill in the gaps, before converting it to a LTR to a friend that has been there for almost 4 years!

As long as it can cash flow with it being a LTR, then making it a MTR (or STR if want to put in more work) is not as bad... You can hop on both AirBnB & FurnishedFinder (popular for travel professionals) in order to market the listing. This is just ensuring you are getting a good deal in case the MTR biz doesn't work out for whatever reason..

I think that there is a lot of competition in the MTR & STR space, but can still very on the area, location of the property, pricing, condition, amenities, and so much more. In an ethical perspective, are taking a potential LTR or homeowner home off market, that can technically lead to the housing issue most of everyone in the states is facing.. So that's also why I think just ensuring that it cash flows from a LTR then it can be more beneficial, otherwise you will have to figure out some other exit strategies. Ensuring that you still follow prudent principles in leasing out the property still applies.

Are you just wanting all the extra cash flow to include the extra write offs of owning the property?

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
    6mo

    Hi @Mose Gebremeskel, So nice to meet you. In my 35+ years in real estate; I’m a licensed agent with Long and Foster in PA and have managed my own portfolio and that of others including apartment communities in excess of 200 units. And that includes suburban and city. (Philly). And through those years I have learned it is usually much easier in the suburban locations. Cities tend to be tenant friendly and require a ridiculous amount of red tape like inspections and other things between tenants. And evictions… wow! I had a tenant use the tenant friendly laws and it took me almost two years to evict. I have friend that have had the same experience in Baltimore. Now that doesn’t always mean that suburban is better either, be sure to check with their individual requirements. Now, I only invest passively! Def got landlord burnout. Good luck in all your endeavors!!!

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
    • Investor · Member since 2022 · 234 posts · 144 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Denise Supplee:

      Hi @Mose Gebremeskel, So nice to meet you. In my 35+ years in real estate; I’m a licensed agent with Long and Foster in PA and have managed my own portfolio and that of others including apartment communities in excess of 200 units. And that includes suburban and city. (Philly). And through those years I have learned it is usually much easier in the suburban locations. Cities tend to be tenant friendly and require a ridiculous amount of red tape like inspections and other things between tenants. And evictions… wow! I had a tenant use the tenant friendly laws and it took me almost two years to evict. I have friend that have had the same experience in Baltimore. Now that doesn’t always mean that suburban is better either, be sure to check with their individual requirements. Now, I only invest passively! Def got landlord burnout. Good luck in all your endeavors!!!


      Great to meet you as well! 2 years for an eviction is rough. 

    • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
      Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Mose Gebremeskel:
      Quote from @Denise Supplee:

      Hi @Mose Gebremeskel, So nice to meet you. In my 35+ years in real estate; I’m a licensed agent with Long and Foster in PA and have managed my own portfolio and that of others including apartment communities in excess of 200 units. And that includes suburban and city. (Philly). And through those years I have learned it is usually much easier in the suburban locations. Cities tend to be tenant friendly and require a ridiculous amount of red tape like inspections and other things between tenants. And evictions… wow! I had a tenant use the tenant friendly laws and it took me almost two years to evict. I have friend that have had the same experience in Baltimore. Now that doesn’t always mean that suburban is better either, be sure to check with their individual requirements. Now, I only invest passively! Def got landlord burnout. Good luck in all your endeavors!!!


      Great to meet you as well! 2 years for an eviction is rough. 


      Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
  • Realtor · Oklahoma City · Member since 2020 · 258 posts · 139 votes
    6mo

    @Mose Gebremeskel, I used to have mine in the suburbs of Mid NW Oklahoma City. 

    Right in between several different medical districts (10-15 mins) from several areas, plus close to the fairgrounds. In my opinion it was great since it was a typical homeowner neighborhood but didn't want to keep all the nice furnishings, so I left them there then did MTR for a couple years, while doing STR in between to fill in the gaps, before converting it to a LTR to a friend that has been there for almost 4 years!

    As long as it can cash flow with it being a LTR, then making it a MTR (or STR if want to put in more work) is not as bad... You can hop on both AirBnB & FurnishedFinder (popular for travel professionals) in order to market the listing. This is just ensuring you are getting a good deal in case the MTR biz doesn't work out for whatever reason..

    I think that there is a lot of competition in the MTR & STR space, but can still very on the area, location of the property, pricing, condition, amenities, and so much more. In an ethical perspective, are taking a potential LTR or homeowner home off market, that can technically lead to the housing issue most of everyone in the states is facing.. So that's also why I think just ensuring that it cash flows from a LTR then it can be more beneficial, otherwise you will have to figure out some other exit strategies. Ensuring that you still follow prudent principles in leasing out the property still applies.

    Are you just wanting all the extra cash flow to include the extra write offs of owning the property?

    • Investor · Member since 2022 · 234 posts · 144 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Chase Busick:

      @Mose Gebremeskel, I used to have mine in the suburbs of Mid NW Oklahoma City. 

      Right in between several different medical districts (10-15 mins) from several areas, plus close to the fairgrounds. In my opinion it was great since it was a typical homeowner neighborhood but didn't want to keep all the nice furnishings, so I left them there then did MTR for a couple years, while doing STR in between to fill in the gaps, before converting it to a LTR to a friend that has been there for almost 4 years!

      As long as it can cash flow with it being a LTR, then making it a MTR (or STR if want to put in more work) is not as bad... You can hop on both AirBnB & FurnishedFinder (popular for travel professionals) in order to market the listing. This is just ensuring you are getting a good deal in case the MTR biz doesn't work out for whatever reason..

      I think that there is a lot of competition in the MTR & STR space, but can still very on the area, location of the property, pricing, condition, amenities, and so much more. In an ethical perspective, are taking a potential LTR or homeowner home off market, that can technically lead to the housing issue most of everyone in the states is facing.. So that's also why I think just ensuring that it cash flows from a LTR then it can be more beneficial, otherwise you will have to figure out some other exit strategies. Ensuring that you still follow prudent principles in leasing out the property still applies.

      Are you just wanting all the extra cash flow to include the extra write offs of owning the property?


       sounds like you had a really good setup being close to those medical districts. I've been with MTR for 2 years using Furnished Finder. So far, it's been great since I'm househacking. For me, it's mainly been about improving the cash flow compared to traditional LTR. 

  • Denise SuppleeBusiness Member
    Realtor · Willow Grove, PA · Member since 2017 · 979 posts · 642 votes
    6mo

    It was horrid! She was what I call a professional tenant. She used everything she could. Finally ended up offering cash for keys and that is how I got her out. 

    Spark Rental Co-Investing Club577 Reviews
  • Ben ScottPro Member
    Property Manager · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 577 posts · 351 votes
    6mo

    I've found that proximity to hospitals is a key factor for MTRs. Many of the tenants are traveling medical professions and how quick they can get to work 

  • Mike PaolucciBusiness Member
    Realtor · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2022 · 492 posts · 550 votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Mose Gebremeskel:

    I recently heard from an investor who focuses on MTR that some of the best locations for them tend to be suburban areas rather than densely populated urban centers. Never really thought about it that way. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

    Suburbs can be great if you have the right target market. There's more to it than simply picking a suburb though. Run your numbers through AirDNA + look at furnished finder to see where other people are currently operating. Should give you a pretty good idea of what other people are seeing. 

    Proximity to hosptials is big but there's also insurance companies who need housing. Ask that investor who he's targeting for his tenants and that'll also help figure out just how/why his experiences in the burbs has been so good.

  • Investor · Pacific Northwest · Member since 2026 · 538 posts · 302 votes
    6mo

    @Mose Gebremeskel 

    I’ve noticed something similar, and I think the reason has less to do with “suburbs vs cities” and more to do with who the typical mid-term renter actually is.

    A lot of MTR demand comes from people in temporary professional transitions — traveling nurses, insurance adjusters, project managers, relocation situations, people waiting on a home purchase or renovation.

    Those tenants usually aren’t optimizing for nightlife or dense urban amenities the way short-term renters might. They’re optimizing for predictability and proximity to where they need to be every day — hospitals, corporate campuses, regional offices, distribution centers, etc.

    Those anchors tend to sit in suburban rings rather than downtown cores, which is why you often see MTR perform well in those areas.

    The other advantage is that suburban housing stock tends to match the needs of that tenant profile better — parking, quiet neighborhoods, more space, easier logistics for a 2–6 month stay.

    So in my mind the key question isn’t “city vs suburb,” it’s where the temporary professional demand clusters in a given market. Once you identify those anchors, the location choice usually becomes pretty obvious.

    • Investor · Member since 2022 · 234 posts · 144 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Michael Eskenasy:

      @Mose Gebremeskel 

      I’ve noticed something similar, and I think the reason has less to do with “suburbs vs cities” and more to do with who the typical mid-term renter actually is.

      A lot of MTR demand comes from people in temporary professional transitions — traveling nurses, insurance adjusters, project managers, relocation situations, people waiting on a home purchase or renovation.

      Those tenants usually aren’t optimizing for nightlife or dense urban amenities the way short-term renters might. They’re optimizing for predictability and proximity to where they need to be every day — hospitals, corporate campuses, regional offices, distribution centers, etc.

      Those anchors tend to sit in suburban rings rather than downtown cores, which is why you often see MTR perform well in those areas.

      The other advantage is that suburban housing stock tends to match the needs of that tenant profile better — parking, quiet neighborhoods, more space, easier logistics for a 2–6 month stay.

      So in my mind the key question isn’t “city vs suburb,” it’s where the temporary professional demand clusters in a given market. Once you identify those anchors, the location choice usually becomes pretty obvious.


       good points!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.