MTR via Airbnb (1–2 months): Do you require lease, background check, or ID?

MTR via Airbnb (1–2 months): Do you require lease, background check, or ID?

Hamidou KeitaPro Member
Member since 2024 · 47 posts · 16 votes

Hi everyone,

I have a question for hosts who do midterm rentals (30–90 days) through Airbnb.

If a guest books 1–2 months and pays through Airbnb, do you still require additional screening such as:

  • A lease agreement

  • Background check

  • Copy of government ID

  • Additional security deposit

  • Signed house rules or rental agreement

Or do you rely solely on Airbnb’s verification and platform protections?

I currently host a midterm rental in Tucson, AZ, and I’m trying to decide what the best practice is for stays longer than 30 days booked through Airbnb.

Some concerns I have are:

  • Tenant rights after 30 days

  • Liability and damages

  • Guest screening

  • For those of you doing midterm rentals through Airbnb, what is your standard process?

  • Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

    — Hamidou

2Reply
214 views

Most Popular Reply

Andrew GlissonBusiness Member
Property Manager · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 135 posts · 95 votes
6mo

If off of platform, we 100% require a lease and screen like you would a tenant. If it's on the platform, you'll have aircover. Check tenant right laws locally. 

LPS Short and Long Term Property Management
See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Andrew GlissonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Memphis · Member since 2026 · 135 posts · 95 votes
    6mo

    If off of platform, we 100% require a lease and screen like you would a tenant. If it's on the platform, you'll have aircover. Check tenant right laws locally. 

    LPS Short and Long Term Property Management
    • Hamidou KeitaPro Member
      OP
      Member since 2024 · 47 posts · 16 votes
      6mo
      Quote from @Andrew Glisson:

      If off of platform, we 100% require a lease and screen like you would a tenant. If it's on the platform, you'll have aircover. Check tenant right laws locally. 


       Thanks a bunch

  • Allen DuanPro Member
    Property Manager · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2022 · 590 posts · 463 votes
    6mo

    Hi Hamidou!

    We don't require the full screening and lease package that we use for direct bookings when we get a booking on Airbnb, but we do use Hospitable to do some of this.

    Our Airbnb guests have to sign a rental agreement and complete an ID verification with a selfie and a photo of their ID. For whatever it's worth, we also require that their Airbnb account is verified and that they have a photo of themselves for their profile.

    Every operator and host has to decide what their risk tolerance is for Airbnb bookings, tenant rights, etc. I know some operators who simply don't use Airbnb because they're not comfortable with it. Like all things, there are trade-offs.

    I manage mid-term rentals in Los Angeles, so I totally understand where you're coming from when it comes to tenant rights. =)

  • Investor · Houston · Member since 2022 · 56 posts · 27 votes
    6mo

    Good question. This is one of those areas where the model really starts to shift from “platform hosting” to “operating a property.”

    I’ve run a shared housing setup for several years using Airbnb as part of the funnel, including longer stays, and one thing I learned fairly early is that the platform is helpful, but it’s not a complete operating system.

    Airbnb does a decent job with baseline verification and payment handling, but it doesn’t fully solve for compatibility, house dynamics, or longer-term risk once someone is in the property.

    For shorter stays, I tend to rely more on the platform itself.

    For longer stays, especially as you approach or cross that 30-day threshold, I start thinking differently. At that point it begins to behave less like a booking and more like a living arrangement.

    A few things that have mattered most in my experience:

    1. Communication before acceptance

    How someone communicates upfront is often a strong signal for how they’ll behave during the stay.

    2. Fit for the environment

    Not every guest is a good fit for shared housing. The best outcomes usually come from people whose situation naturally aligns with the setup.

    3. Clear expectations

    The smoother properties tend to be the ones where expectations are defined early and consistently.

    I’ve found that the real risk isn’t just verification. It’s how well the person fits the environment they’re entering.

    Curious how others here draw that line between “platform trust” and “operator control” as stays get longer.

  • Rental Property Investor · Asheville, NC · Member since 2026 · 17 posts · 13 votes
    6mo

    For anything 30 days or longer I require a real lease regardless of how they booked. In North Carolina that 30-day mark is where you start picking up landlord-tenant obligations whether you want them or not, and the last thing I want is a situation where Airbnb's short-stay terms are the only thing governing a guest who now has legal tenant standing.

    My two MTRs near Asheville are mostly travel nurses through Furnished Finder so I do the full package - background check, lease, security deposit, phone call. But I've also had the occasional 45-day booking come through Airbnb, and I treat it the same way. I send a direct lease outside the platform and require them to sign before I confirm the stay details. Most people who are legitimate have no issue with it. The ones who push back on signing a lease for a month-long stay are usually telling you something.

    The AirCover thing is worth paying attention to as well. My understanding is it doesn't really hold up the same way once a stay crosses into tenant-right territory, so I stopped counting on it for longer bookings and started leaning on my own screening and proper STR insurance instead.

  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    6mo
    Quote from @Hamidou Keita:

    Hi everyone,

    I have a question for hosts who do midterm rentals (30–90 days) through Airbnb.

    If a guest books 1–2 months and pays through Airbnb, do you still require additional screening such as:

    • A lease agreement

    • Background check

    • Copy of government ID

    • Additional security deposit

    • Signed house rules or rental agreement

    Or do you rely solely on Airbnb’s verification and platform protections?

    I currently host a midterm rental in Tucson, AZ, and I’m trying to decide what the best practice is for stays longer than 30 days booked through Airbnb.

    Some concerns I have are:

    • Tenant rights after 30 days

    • Liability and damages

    • Guest screening

    • For those of you doing midterm rentals through Airbnb, what is your standard process?

    • Thanks in advance for sharing your experience.

      — Hamidou


    Abbreviated lease and copy of their DL. 

  • Investor · Houston · Member since 2022 · 56 posts · 27 votes
    6mo

    One thing I’ve found helpful, especially for that 30+ day gray area, is structuring the stay in phases rather than treating it as a single decision upfront.

    For example, if someone books for 1–2 months, I’ll often view that initial period as a functional trial rather than a fully “committed” living arrangement. The platform handles payment and baseline verification, but I’m really paying attention to how they operate in the environment.

    How they communicate, how they use shared space, how they interact with others if it’s a shared setup. Those signals tend to be much more predictive than anything a background check will tell you.

    If things align, extending or transitioning into a longer-term agreement becomes much cleaner because you’re working from observed behavior instead of assumptions.

    If it doesn’t, you’re not locked into trying to unwind a longer-term situation.

    I’ve found that approach reduces risk more than trying to perfect screening upfront, especially in shared or mid-term setups.

    Curious if anyone else has leaned into a “trial → extend” structure versus deciding everything upfront.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.