This might be your sign to start asking about mid-term rentals

This might be your sign to start asking about mid-term rentals

Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 5 votes

I keep running into investors who feel stuck between two options:

• Long-term rentals that feel “safe” but are underperforming
• Short-term rentals that can be high-revenue but operationally heavy

There’s a third option that doesn’t get talked about enough: mid-term rentals (30+ day furnished stays).

Here’s what I’ve seen work well with this model:

1. Demand is more stable than most people expect
Traveling professionals, medical workers, relocation clients, and insurance placements all need housing for 1–6 months. This isn’t seasonal vacation demand, it’s need-based.

2. Lower operational intensity than STRs
Fewer turns, fewer cleanings, and less day-to-day communication compared to nightly rentals.

3. More flexibility than long-term leases
You’re not locked into 12-month terms, which lets you adjust pricing and strategy more frequently.

4. Furnishing matters
Functionality and comfort drive bookings. A well-designed, fully equipped unit often outperforms a better-located but poorly furnished one.

5. It’s not passive
You still need systems: screening, lease management, cleaning coordination, and communication. But it's a different kind of workload than STR.

I’m curious how others here are feeling about this strategy.

Are you seeing better returns with long-term, short-term, or something in between right now?

2Reply
143 views

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    5mo

    I have a couple midterm rentals and looking to expand. I also have LTR's and STR's. Not every area is conducive to MTR or STR. It's all about location.

    It has worked out better than I thought.  My properties are near military bases, hospitals and lots of construction activity.  The military need for training for 3-6 months at a time has been a great niche for me.

    Like all investments you have to conduct research.  I use Furnished Finder and Airbnb to look at demand and competition.  

    • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 5 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Kenneth Garrett:

      I have a couple midterm rentals and looking to expand. I also have LTR's and STR's. Not every area is conducive to MTR or STR. It's all about location.

      It has worked out better than I thought.  My properties are near military bases, hospitals and lots of construction activity.  The military need for training for 3-6 months at a time has been a great niche for me.

      Like all investments you have to conduct research.  I use Furnished Finder and Airbnb to look at demand and competition.  


      That’s exactly it, and honestly you’re already hitting on the why behind why mid-term works so well when it works.

      I’m in Columbus, Ohio and we’re seeing the same thing play out, just with a slightly different mix of demand drivers. It still comes down to being near consistent, non-optional demand.

      In your case it’s military. Here it’s:

      • Major hospital systems (travel nurses, medical rotations)
      • Corporate relocations and project-based work
      • Contractors tied to ongoing development
      • Large universities feeding interns, grad students, and short-term housing needs

      Different sources, same pattern: people who need 30–120 day housing that isn’t a hotel and doesn’t lock them into a year lease.

      I also agree 100% on location being everything. Not every market or even every submarket supports MTR. What we’ve seen is it really clicks in areas where:

      • There’s a steady inflow of people in transition (not seasonal spikes)
      • Traditional housing options don’t fit their timeline
      • And there’s a gap in quality furnished inventory

      That last piece is bigger than most people think. A lot of markets technically have MTR demand, but the existing supply is outdated, poorly furnished, or inconsistent. That’s where you can outperform pretty quickly.

      Your point about research is spot on too. We use platforms like Furnished Finder and Airbnb the same way, but more as signals than exact comps:

      • Are there enough listings in that 30–90 day range?
      • Are they actually booked or just sitting?
      • What level of quality are guests choosing?

      End of the day, like you said, it’s not a one-size-fits-all strategy. But if you can identify those pockets of reliable, repeatable demand like you've done with military, that's where MTR really starts to outperform both LTR and STR.

  • Ryan SpathBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Boise, ID · Member since 2017 · 562 posts · 377 votes
    5mo

    Great post, In Idaho, more specifically Boise proper there are a lot of people moving here to work at Micron and they are specifically looking for MTR that is furnished. These folks are moving here for work, and they want an in-between while they become familiar with the area.  In talking with a PM Tuesday about this I was told the clients he manages properties for generate +/-$3500 for rent. I asked what the same property would generate in LTR he said 2300ish. The consideration becomes these MTR the owner pays for all utilities, furnishings, etc. I'm sure this is a great model and you can definitely make more cash flow, at face value this just seems like you would be investing a lot more capital upfront for an extra $500 a month. I would be curious to hear from people that do this and to know what they spend in furniture, actual vacancy, how much more they receive in rent etc.

    • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2025 · 7 posts · 5 votes
      5mo
      Quote from @Ryan Spath:

      Great post, In Idaho, more specifically Boise proper there are a lot of people moving here to work at Micron and they are specifically looking for MTR that is furnished. These folks are moving here for work, and they want an in-between while they become familiar with the area.  In talking with a PM Tuesday about this I was told the clients he manages properties for generate +/-$3500 for rent. I asked what the same property would generate in LTR he said 2300ish. The consideration becomes these MTR the owner pays for all utilities, furnishings, etc. I'm sure this is a great model and you can definitely make more cash flow, at face value this just seems like you would be investing a lot more capital upfront for an extra $500 a month. I would be curious to hear from people that do this and to know what they spend in furniture, actual vacancy, how much more they receive in rent etc.


      Great questions!

      We’re seeing similar numbers in Columbus, Ohio but the difference shows up when you look beyond just rent.

      We average about $16/sq ft to furnish, and it’s very much “buy once, cry once.” That upfront cost stings, but it’s not recurring and gets paid back quickly.

      Where MTR really separates from LTR:

      • Long-term tenants can be hard on properties and you have less control. Are they changing furnace filters? Keeping up with maintenance?
      • With MTR, we have monthly professional cleans (guest-paid), quarterly maintenance checks, and 2x/year 150-point safety inspections. We’re even checking roofs and gutters with a drone.

      Our goal is to maximize appreciation AND capture higher monthly revenue, not just chase rent.

      What we consistently see:

      • Higher quality tenants (often employer-paid)
      • Less long-term wear
      • Flexibility to adjust pricing vs being locked for 12 months

      And where it really gets interesting is pairing this with outreach. We’ll literally go to local hotels, read company names off work trucks, contact them, and offer housing that’s cheaper than hotels for them but higher than our target MTR rent. Everyone wins.

      If the demand is there, the upside isn’t just a few hundred a month. The ceiling is much higher than most people realize.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.