Where can I buy a good midterm rental for $250K?

Where can I buy a good midterm rental for $250K?

Arvada, CO · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 20 votes

I have decided it's time to expand my portfolio. I currently have two local long-term rentals and one midterm rental that is remote. This week I should be closing on a HELOC. I want to use that money for some properties that cash flow. However, the properties need to be around $250K. I thought for cash flow I would look at doing midterm rentals. I've done well with this on a condo in the Edgewater neighborhood of Chicago for the last four years. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that my best area of focus would be the southside flats in Pittsburgh. Alternative options were going to be Cleveland, Detroit, or possibly Kansas City. I'd love to get some input from people who have had experiences doing MTRs in any of these areas, but specifically, the southside flats in Pittsburgh. Also, how you personally search for properties. I've been just looking on Zillow, but now I am debating foreclosures, REOs and off market opportunities. I'm hoping to buy one property every year, with the plan that the cash flow from all of my properties will help to allow me to replenish my HELOC and buy another propertry the following year.

8Reply
573 views

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2019 · 235 posts · 107 votes
    2mo

    Hi Justin! I can only speak to the KC side of things.

    I pulled a search in some of the stronger appreciating and more desirable areas around Kansas City and found about 63 active properties around your ~$250k price point across single-family homes, townhomes, condos, and half-duplexes.

    If I were targeting affordable midterm rentals still in desirable areas, I'd put North Kansas City on my radar. It’s quaint little city about two miles north of downtown. Historically its been more of a blue collar community, but has become very popular over the last 10 years. It's close to several major hospitals, is a popular area for traveling professionals seeking proximity to the city, and has seen some of the strongest appreciation rates in the immediate region... and avoids Kansas City's 1% earnings tax 😉 to boot!

    Current on-market options in NKC include:

    • 1444 E. 24th Ave.
    • 811 E. 23rd Ave. ($237k)
    • 1021 E. 23rd Ave. (auction)

    Other properties elsewhere that caught my eye include:

    • 4118 Roanoke Rd. near downtown kc/midtown region
    • 8107 Ward Parkway in Waldo (looks pretty turnkey)
    • 5618 Lamar Ave. in Mission (above budget, but after 50+ days on market there may be some negotiating room)
    • 204 N. 83rd St. in KCK if you're betting on long-term appreciation around the Legends/Piper area.

    KCK legends/piper schools area is where the new Chiefs stadium is expected to be built. While Arrowhead never seemed to do much for surrounding property values in Raytown or Independence, I think this location has a better chance of benefiting from it since it's already anchored by the Speedway, Sporting KC, a popular school district, and a much newer and well planned residential and commercial base.

    I’m just kinda throwing spaghetti against the wall with some examples, so if you would like to get more specific and discuss your exact goals, I am happy to do so

    • Arvada, CO · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 20 votes
      2mo

      @Milton Chamberlain I'll let you know if I'm coming through this weekend. I'm still crunching numbers here trying to figure out what works and what doesn't. the $250,000 number is just my buy-in while trying to be conservative because if we're talking about something that needs updating that leaves me about $100,000 available to update the inside and furnished. Part of me is thinking about going LTR and maybe looking at Wichita instead. It's been over a decade since I've been to Kansas City so definitely I will do some searching on those properties you mentioned in the location suggested. Thanks!

  • Evan HoppleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2023 · 284 posts · 420 votes
    2mo
    Quote from @Justin Miller:

    I have decided it's time to expand my portfolio. I currently have two local long-term rentals and one midterm rental that is remote. This week I should be closing on a HELOC. I want to use that money for some properties that cash flow. However, the properties need to be around $250K. I thought for cash flow I would look at doing midterm rentals. I've done well with this on a condo in the Edgewater neighborhood of Chicago for the last four years. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that my best area of focus would be the southside flats in Pittsburgh. Alternative options were going to be Cleveland, Detroit, or possibly Kansas City. I'd love to get some input from people who have had experiences doing MTRs in any of these areas, but specifically, the southside flats in Pittsburgh. Also, how you personally search for properties. I've been just looking on Zillow, but now I am debating foreclosures, REOs and off market opportunities. I'm hoping to buy one property every year, with the plan that the cash flow from all of my properties will help to allow me to replenish my HELOC and buy another propertry the following year.

    Having one successful out-of-state MTR already under your belt definitely gives you an advantage. I'd just be careful not to force a market because it's popular for midterm rentals. A $250k budget can go a lot further in some cities than others, so I'd first identify markets where that price point can still buy a property that works well as an MTR.

    I also think you're on the right track by expanding your deal sources. The investors who consistently grow their portfolios usually aren't relying on a single place to find opportunities, especially when they're trying to buy year after year.

    If Cleveland stays on your list, I'd focus on neighborhoods with strong demand drivers rather than just the lowest-priced homes. Areas near the Cleveland Clinic, University Hospitals, and Case Western Reserve University tend to have consistent demand from traveling professionals, students, and relocating workers, and there are still neighborhoods where a $250k budget can still be competitive.

    Reafco Real Estate
    View Page
    • Arvada, CO · Member since 2016 · 14 posts · 20 votes
      2mo

      @Evan Hopple i'm still a little iffy on Cleveland. the area you speak in has some hit or miss neighborhoods on the outskirts and not many for sale within. I have a friend who just bought it into an Airbnb out there but I don't think he's seen recent changes in law. But if the numbers work, I'm interested.

  • Arman AhmedPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 930 votes
    2mo
    Quote from @Justin Miller:

    I have decided it's time to expand my portfolio. I currently have two local long-term rentals and one midterm rental that is remote. This week I should be closing on a HELOC. I want to use that money for some properties that cash flow. However, the properties need to be around $250K. I thought for cash flow I would look at doing midterm rentals. I've done well with this on a condo in the Edgewater neighborhood of Chicago for the last four years. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that my best area of focus would be the southside flats in Pittsburgh. Alternative options were going to be Cleveland, Detroit, or possibly Kansas City. I'd love to get some input from people who have had experiences doing MTRs in any of these areas, but specifically, the southside flats in Pittsburgh. Also, how you personally search for properties. I've been just looking on Zillow, but now I am debating foreclosures, REOs and off market opportunities. I'm hoping to buy one property every year, with the plan that the cash flow from all of my properties will help to allow me to replenish my HELOC and buy another propertry the following year.


    If you're open to the Midwest, I'd take a serious look at Cleveland. A $250K budget can still get you quality properties in strong neighborhoods, and there’s consistent demand for mid-term rentals from traveling healthcare workers, corporate relocations, and university staff. I’d also spend time networking with local wholesalers and investor-friendly agents because some of the best value-add and off-market opportunities never make it to Zillow. With the right location and a solid local team, Cleveland can be a great market to grow an out-of-state MTR portfolio.
  • Jamie DietzBusiness Member
    Lender · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2015 · 175 posts · 90 votes
    2mo

    The South Side Flats is an interesting choice for a remote mid-term rental (MTR) investment. You can definitely find properties under $250,000, but I would strongly recommend visiting the neighborhood if you're not already familiar with it.

    Over the years, the South Side has gone through significant cycles of growth and decline. While it remains one of Pittsburgh's most walkable neighborhoods with excellent access to Downtown, parts of the neighborhood are currently facing challenges with crime, commercial vacancies, and residents relocating to more desirable areas.

    In my opinion, these issues are most noticeable in the western portion of the neighborhood. The eastern end closer to South Side Works and the riverfront has generally held up better and continues to attract more investment and redevelopment.

    If you're investing remotely, I'd be cautious. Buying the right block is critical in the South Side Flats, as values, tenant quality, and overall appeal can vary dramatically within just a few streets.   

    Next Door Capital514 Reviews
  • Lender · Chicago IL · Member since 2020 · 357 posts · 229 votes
    2mo

    @Justin Miller I’ve owned a 3 bed / 2 bath MTR in Knoxville since 2022 and it’s been a strong market for me. One thing I like about Knoxville is that the MTR demand isn’t dependent on tourism or seasonality.

    I bought mine in late 2022 for $240K. Prices have definitely moved since then, but there are still areas where you can find properties around the $250K mark that could make sense as MTRs.

    Out of curiosity, if you’re already invested in another market, what’s pushing you toward Pittsburgh (and other areas) instead of adding another property in a market you already know well?

    -Jennie Berger

    Property People

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Justin Miller:

    I have decided it's time to expand my portfolio. I currently have two local long-term rentals and one midterm rental that is remote. This week I should be closing on a HELOC. I want to use that money for some properties that cash flow. However, the properties need to be around $250K. I thought for cash flow I would look at doing midterm rentals. I've done well with this on a condo in the Edgewater neighborhood of Chicago for the last four years. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that my best area of focus would be the southside flats in Pittsburgh. Alternative options were going to be Cleveland, Detroit, or possibly Kansas City. I'd love to get some input from people who have had experiences doing MTRs in any of these areas, but specifically, the southside flats in Pittsburgh. Also, how you personally search for properties. I've been just looking on Zillow, but now I am debating foreclosures, REOs and off market opportunities. I'm hoping to buy one property every year, with the plan that the cash flow from all of my properties will help to allow me to replenish my HELOC and buy another propertry the following year.

    Welcome to the community, Justin! Since you already have four years of MTR experience, I’d focus less on whether a market is generally good for MTRs and more on the specific demand drivers around each property—hospitals, corporate employers, universities, insurance/displacement stays, and how consistently furnished rentals are actually getting booked. I’d also look beyond Zillow. MLS listings are still worth watching, but off-market, REOs, and properties needing light work can give you more room to create equity and improve cash flow. One market I’d add to your list is Columbus. I moved here in 2020 and own 10+ rentals now, and around your $250K budget there are still plenty of options. There’s strong demand from healthcare, universities, and major employers, so I’d definitely underwrite both LTR and MTR numbers rather than relying on MTR income alone. With a HELOC strategy, I’d especially want the property to still work as a long-term rental if the MTR numbers soften. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!
  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Justin Miller:

    I have decided it's time to expand my portfolio. I currently have two local long-term rentals and one midterm rental that is remote. This week I should be closing on a HELOC. I want to use that money for some properties that cash flow. However, the properties need to be around $250K. I thought for cash flow I would look at doing midterm rentals. I've done well with this on a condo in the Edgewater neighborhood of Chicago for the last four years. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that my best area of focus would be the southside flats in Pittsburgh. Alternative options were going to be Cleveland, Detroit, or possibly Kansas City. I'd love to get some input from people who have had experiences doing MTRs in any of these areas, but specifically, the southside flats in Pittsburgh. Also, how you personally search for properties. I've been just looking on Zillow, but now I am debating foreclosures, REOs and off market opportunities. I'm hoping to buy one property every year, with the plan that the cash flow from all of my properties will help to allow me to replenish my HELOC and buy another propertry the following year.

    Cleveland and Dayton could work for you 

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1mo
    Quote from @Justin Miller:

    I have decided it's time to expand my portfolio. I currently have two local long-term rentals and one midterm rental that is remote. This week I should be closing on a HELOC. I want to use that money for some properties that cash flow. However, the properties need to be around $250K. I thought for cash flow I would look at doing midterm rentals. I've done well with this on a condo in the Edgewater neighborhood of Chicago for the last four years. After doing some research, I came to the conclusion that my best area of focus would be the southside flats in Pittsburgh. Alternative options were going to be Cleveland, Detroit, or possibly Kansas City. I'd love to get some input from people who have had experiences doing MTRs in any of these areas, but specifically, the southside flats in Pittsburgh. Also, how you personally search for properties. I've been just looking on Zillow, but now I am debating foreclosures, REOs and off market opportunities. I'm hoping to buy one property every year, with the plan that the cash flow from all of my properties will help to allow me to replenish my HELOC and buy another propertry the following year.


    Cleveland will be your best bet. It has the one of the highest CoC returns in the State/Nation. The fact that it is landlord friendly, affordable, and the city is able to keep up with growing rents and maintain demand is impressive.

    I have a core-4 team that works in Cleveland and cold-calls to find off-market deals. Let me know if you need any connection. Happy to refer others.

  • Michael K GallagherBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3w

    pittsburg is a solid market as is likely most of the midwest. Going after forclosures and REO's can be fine but they generally add time and complexity. there are deals on market right now, potentially even furnished and ready to go you could tap into, just gotta make the offer.

  • Gregory AcsPro Member
    Lender · MD · Member since 2025 · 182 posts · 70 votes
    3w

    It sounds like you've put a lot of thought into your expansion strategy. Since you're using a HELOC, I'd make sure each property not only cash flows on its own, but also generates enough to comfortably cover the HELOC payment while still leaving room for vacancies, maintenance, and reserves. Markets and rental strategies can change, but a deal that's conservative on the financing side is usually much easier to hold long term.

    I'd also compare your financing options before making an offer. Depending on the property and your long-term goals, there may be a structure that preserves more flexibility as you continue to grow. If you'd like to run through different financing scenarios or compare how they affect your cash flow, I'd be happy to help.

  • Contractor · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2017 · 315 posts · 156 votes
    6d

    I dont know what makes a good mid term prospect. I currently have a brand new 3/2 under construction. 1200 sf in Pensacola 2 miles from palafox place (the central hub of pensacola).

    Listed for 269000. I am considering keeping it but first strategy is selling.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.