How to include the Assignment Fee

8 Replies

Hi all! I'm new to the wholesaling business and after two weeks, I got my first property under contract. When I advertise this deal to potential cash buyers/investors, is the assignment fee traditionally included within the asking price? Or is that something that is discussed separately with the buyer? 

Thank you.

Yes, include in the asking price. "Mr Buyer, I need to get xx dollars for this deal". Log the fee on an assignment form of your choosing, then pass that to the title company where you brought the executed contract. Make sure your buyers name and contact info are complete and correct. 

Most title companies wouldn't care if the assignment was written on toilet paper as long as everything is spelled correctly :-)

I've seen it done both ways. I typically roll it into the asking price. The only thing I would caution you on is the way you're marketing the property. Make sure you're being clear that you're assigning your equitable interest in the property. Also I would advise being transparent about the fact you're wholesaling the deal. Good luck!

Promotion
NestEgg
Smarter rental management
Outperform your peers by 71%
NestEgg landlords save $6,960/yr in fees & 20 hrs/mo*. Self-manage for free or go hands-off for $29.
Start now, get $500
Originally posted by @Jerry Puckett :

Yes, include in the asking price. "Mr Buyer, I need to get xx dollars for this deal". Log the fee on an assignment form of your choosing, then pass that to the title company where you brought the executed contract. Make sure your buyers name and contact info are complete and correct. 

Most title companies wouldn't care if the assignment was written on toilet paper as long as everything is spelled correctly :-)

I hear you! Thank you a lot. I'll be sure to do it this way. :))

Originally posted by @Melissa McRay Johnson :

I've seen it done both ways. I typically roll it into the asking price. The only thing I would caution you on is the way you're marketing the property. Make sure you're being clear that you're assigning your equitable interest in the property. Also I would advise being transparent about the fact you're wholesaling the deal. Good luck!

Got it! For clarification, are you saying to be transparent with the seller/realtor that I would be wholesaling the deal?

Originally posted by @Landon Kelly :
Originally posted by @Melissa McRay Johnson:

Got it! For clarification, are you saying to be transparent with the seller/realtor that I would be wholesaling the deal?

Yes, on both sides. Not all wholesalers do this, but I strongly recommend!

Originally posted by @Melissa McRay Johnson :
Originally posted by @Landon Kelly:
Originally posted by @Melissa McRay Johnson:

Yes, on both sides. Not all wholesalers do this, but I strongly recommend!

Will do! My plan is to build integrity and transparency from the jump. Thank you for the clarification.

Same as what others have said I roll the assignment fee into the asking price. Also make sure somewhere in the Purchase Agreement that you're using it stipulates that you're allowed to assign the Contract. For example the Purchase Agreement I use, after I put my name as the Buyer, it says "and/or assigns", which contractually allows me to assign our agreement. Good Luck wholesaling!