Debating on wholesaling land vs properties in FL, any advice?

Debating on wholesaling land vs properties in FL, any advice?

Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 110 votes

I’m fairly new to FL and want to dive into real estate. Originally I was considering wholesaling properties (prior to getting licensed) however, I’ve stumbled across land wholesaling. I’ve purchased land in Putnam and Citrus counties and after researching land wholesaling I’m intrigued with the quick process of selling land vs selling homes.

Anyone has experience with land wholesaling? Thoughts on wholesaling homes vs land tips? How to find developers?

1Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
3y

I've only wholesale houses before but I'm currently looking for a developer for a 1.55 acres lot that I have under contract in Citrus County. I see that the developers in up-and-coming areas rather build in volume than house by house so It becomes a bit challenging when you are only offering one lot. Close to metropolitan cities I feel lot go by fast like houses. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Kerry Noble JrPro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    one easy way to find developers is, go by areas with new construction. The developers generally put their signs out. Take a pic of the sign and google them for an email address then reach out to them and introduce yourself. 

    Another way is to keep up with the development in the area based on what you see in the news paper. they generally tell you the name of the developers in the development and the location of it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes
    3y

    I've started to dive into this area myself and after wholesaling houses for about 14 years my conclusion is that wholesaling land is slower than wholesaling houses.  

    I have a friend who has done very well wholesaling land but he did tell us that builders are slow and need to be reminded of things.  I'm sure that's not all of them, but it has been his experience.

    I reached out to many builders and while I was able to get responses, it did take them a while.

    I would tell you go ahead and start building relationships with them, but also find out who the selling agents are that are selling land in that area, there's usually a handful of them doing most of the transactions.  They have already been doing business with the builders so sharing a piece of the pie with the Realtor will get your deals moving much faster.

  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    I've only wholesale houses before but I'm currently looking for a developer for a 1.55 acres lot that I have under contract in Citrus County. I see that the developers in up-and-coming areas rather build in volume than house by house so It becomes a bit challenging when you are only offering one lot. Close to metropolitan cities I feel lot go by fast like houses. 

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 110 votes
    3y

    @Kerry Noble Jr Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Very good advice I will look into both options.

    My only concerned about contacting developers is most areas I would wholesale are rural areas and developers may or may not be interested in developing in those type of locations but it doesn’t hurt to reach out and try. Thank you again!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 110 votes
    3y

    @Priscilla Z. Great information! Thank you for replying! I hear contacting agents is a good way to jump start into the business.

    I want to wholesale both land/homes. I don’t want to limit myself. I see the pros and cons with both situations but definitely more pros. Thanks again!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 110 votes
    3y

    @David Ramirez Yes, David I see that too and that was a concern of mine, builders wanting several lots vs a single lot which makes sense. Thank you for replying!

    I’m currently looking in Citrus County for a potential client. How much is the lot?

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes
    3y
    Quote from @David Ramirez:

    I've only wholesale houses before but I'm currently looking for a developer for a 1.55 acres lot that I have under contract in Citrus County. I see that the developers in up-and-coming areas rather build in volume than house by house so It becomes a bit challenging when you are only offering one lot. Close to metropolitan cities I feel lot go by fast like houses. 


     Have you marketed for an individual person that may want to buy it?  Street signs have worked for me in the past, also maybe do a search of the neighbors and send them a handwritten letter.

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Bay, FL · Member since 2009 · 511 posts · 290 votes
    3y
    Quote from @R. Elle Berry:

    @Kerry Noble Jr Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. Very good advice I will look into both options.

    My only concerned about contacting developers is most areas I would wholesale are rural areas and developers may or may not be interested in developing in those type of locations but it doesn’t hurt to reach out and try. Thank you again!

     Like I mentioned to @David Ramirez, for rural land you may just find an individual wanting to buy the land, or a neighbor wanting to increase their lot size.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.