How do you pitch creative finance to a seller

How do you pitch creative finance to a seller

Member since 2023 · 43 posts · 10 votes

I finally got a good lead while cold calling but the seller is stubborn and wants too much of a high price. No I believe i can use this opportunity to offer creative finance, my problem is how would i do that.

0Reply
368 views

Most Popular Reply

Wholesaler · Charleston WV · Member since 2026 · 243 posts · 132 votes
4mo

If a seller wants more than a cash buyer can pay, don't immediately pitch creative finance. First find out why they need that price. Ask questions about their timeline, motivation, and whether they need all the money at closing. A simple question like, "If I could get closer to your price, would you be open to receiving some of the money over time?" can tell you if they're open to creative terms. Focus on understanding their situation first, then determine whether a creative solution makes sense.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ismail Sogbaike:

    I finally got a good lead while cold calling but the seller is stubborn and wants too much of a high price. No I believe i can use this opportunity to offer creative finance, my problem is how would i do that.


     What do you consider creative financing? What are you attempting to accomplish? This is what needs to be spelled out. "creative financing" which to me is an overused term, typically only occurs when a seller is desperate and needs to sell OR if the seller is trying to shift some tax burden. 

    Create terms that work for you and make the offer is what you need to do. I would first ask if they would consider seller financing, if the answer is no - then you can move on to the next one. 

    If someone called me today and asked me to sell of course I would say yes, and I would throw a number 2x what it is worth. 

    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y

    You know who always asks for 'creative financing?"  People who don't have money, credit, or the knowledge to do the deal.  And, you just said the seller wants too much for the property - and he's stubborn.  What is the 'too much' based on in your estimation?  Is he stubborn or does he simply know the value of his property?

    I get these calls every day and every day I find that what is meant by 'creative' is will the seller carry the financing or do a rent to own or adopt the person.  The answer is always no.

    Be the real deal and find a deal that is priced right and within your means to acquire it.  That's what serious and successful investors do...

  • Investor · Pacific Northwest · Member since 2026 · 65 posts · 16 votes
    4mo

    I would not start by pitching creative finance. Start by finding the seller's pain. Do they need cash now, monthly income, tax deferral, debt relief, speed, or price? The structure should solve the constraint. If they need all cash now, terms probably will not land. If they care about price and income, seller financing becomes easier to explain. A great way to work this is to identify and empathize with their pain and find a way that you can structure the deal so that it offers a strong solution. Connecting with the seller will go miles farther than focusing on just the deal structure itself.

    I've had great success just talking and listening to their experience and showing a clear understanding that I can see what they're going through and why it's causing their situation.

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      4mo
      Quote from @Andrew Caranto:

      I would not start by pitching creative finance. Start by finding the seller's pain. Do they need cash now, monthly income, tax deferral, debt relief, speed, or price? The structure should solve the constraint. If they need all cash now, terms probably will not land. If they care about price and income, seller financing becomes easier to explain. A great way to work this is to identify and empathize with their pain and find a way that you can structure the deal so that it offers a strong solution. Connecting with the seller will go miles farther than focusing on just the deal structure itself.

      I've had great success just talking and listening to their experience and showing a clear understanding that I can see what they're going through and why it's causing their situation.


      when I would actually talk to sellers I did this.

      I would list out in writing 3 offers. 

      and let them choose

      Cash close tomorrow as I dont need a bank

      Sub to 

      bank loan

      each with a different price..  lowest to highest. U need to put some perspective into it and get them thinking you just hit them with creative finance right off the bat you made your job harder.
  • Wholesaler · Charleston WV · Member since 2026 · 243 posts · 132 votes
    4mo

    If a seller wants more than a cash buyer can pay, don't immediately pitch creative finance. First find out why they need that price. Ask questions about their timeline, motivation, and whether they need all the money at closing. A simple question like, "If I could get closer to your price, would you be open to receiving some of the money over time?" can tell you if they're open to creative terms. Focus on understanding their situation first, then determine whether a creative solution makes sense.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.