No deal yet

No deal yet

Wholesaler · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2024 · 32 posts · 7 votes

While still wholesaling about about a year I find it hard to wholesale real estate while having a full time job (truck driving) I have a a lot of capital but rarely any time to call on these leads. should I do something else ? DTA ? 

1Reply
174 views

Most Popular Reply

Don KonipolBusiness Member
Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
8mo
Quote from @Christopher Espinoza:

While still wholesaling about about a year I find it hard to wholesale real estate while having a full time job (truck driving) I have a a lot of capital but rarely any time to call on these leads. should I do something else ? DTA ? 

Wholesaling successfully (as in a profitable return on yourTIME and capital) is a full time pursuit. Even then your "business" (wholesaling is running a service business, NOT investing) has only about a 5% chance or less of success. You're competing against (1) well financed licensed brokers, (2) an MLS system that provides instant, worldwide access to the vast majority of residential properties for sale in the USA, (3) wholesalers spending $10,000 per month or more on marketing, (4) individual investors seeking deals on their own or thru brokers and (5) institutional buyers (I - buyers) that will make a on line cash offer on just about any residential property out there.

After 50 years of seeing the hype, misleading “advice”, biased “opinions”,outright fraud, incompetence, lies, and distortions promoting “wholesaling” as a path to wealth/profit, I can state unequivocally that almost all the “positive” information being promoted in all forums is absolute BS.  

If you’re interested, you can search my previous posts for the stories of successful wholesalers I’ve done business with, particularly one new to real estate who created a specialty in RV parks in Texas. 

Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Playa del Carmen, México · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Christopher Espinoza:

    While still wholesaling about about a year I find it hard to wholesale real estate while having a full time job (truck driving) I have a a lot of capital but rarely any time to call on these leads. should I do something else ? DTA ? 


    It's not easy, but it IS possible: One of the sharpest guys I know started his wholesaling business from the cab of his long-haul truck.

    He was analyzing deals and calling sellers on the road, while at truck stops, whenever he could find the time.

    That said, if you have more capital than time, why wholesale at all?

    You might be far better off putting your capital to work more passively as a private lender!

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    8mo

    Yeah the time thing with trucking is no joke. Something that really helped me - instead of trying to squeeze calls in randomly, I'd block out like 2-3 hours when I was actually off and just hammer through everything. Then set up some kind of automated follow-up to keep touching those leads while I'm on the road. Most deals get lost in the follow-up anyway, not the first call. How are you staying on top of leads when you're driving?

    • Wholesaler · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2024 · 32 posts · 7 votes
      8mo

      @Bo Smith I'm using GHL for crm also automation I'm partnering with a guy out in Tampa in the same REI community as me as of now he's the one calling the leads back from my VA generating daily last week and splitting evenly except on a portfolio we going 60/40 obviously it's take much time from his day which I don't mind at all . But I'm not sure if I should get a different job or start at work during the night so it gives me time to talk to people during the day time or keep the partner. 

    • Bo SmithPro Member
      Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Christopher Espinoza:

      @Bo Smith I'm using GHL for crm also automation I'm partnering with a guy out in Tampa in the same REI community as me as of now he's the one calling the leads back from my VA generating daily last week and splitting evenly except on a portfolio we going 60/40 obviously it's take much time from his day which I don't mind at all . But I'm not sure if I should get a different job or start at work during the night so it gives me time to talk to people during the day time or keep the partner. 


      That partnership setup sounds solid actually - having someone who can work the leads while you're driving is huge. The real question is whether you're getting enough volume through to make it worth splitting vs having full control with a night job switch. Are you guys getting consistent appointments from those daily leads or still working through the follow-up system?




  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Christopher Espinoza:

    While still wholesaling about about a year I find it hard to wholesale real estate while having a full time job (truck driving) I have a a lot of capital but rarely any time to call on these leads. should I do something else ? DTA ? 

    Wholesaling successfully (as in a profitable return on yourTIME and capital) is a full time pursuit. Even then your "business" (wholesaling is running a service business, NOT investing) has only about a 5% chance or less of success. You're competing against (1) well financed licensed brokers, (2) an MLS system that provides instant, worldwide access to the vast majority of residential properties for sale in the USA, (3) wholesalers spending $10,000 per month or more on marketing, (4) individual investors seeking deals on their own or thru brokers and (5) institutional buyers (I - buyers) that will make a on line cash offer on just about any residential property out there.

    After 50 years of seeing the hype, misleading “advice”, biased “opinions”,outright fraud, incompetence, lies, and distortions promoting “wholesaling” as a path to wealth/profit, I can state unequivocally that almost all the “positive” information being promoted in all forums is absolute BS.  

    If you’re interested, you can search my previous posts for the stories of successful wholesalers I’ve done business with, particularly one new to real estate who created a specialty in RV parks in Texas. 

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
    • Joe S.Pro Member
      Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
      8mo
      Quote from @Don Konipol:
      Quote from @Christopher Espinoza:

      While still wholesaling about about a year I find it hard to wholesale real estate while having a full time job (truck driving) I have a a lot of capital but rarely any time to call on these leads. should I do something else ? DTA ? 

      Wholesaling successfully (as in a profitable return on yourTIME and capital) is a full time pursuit. Even then your "business" (wholesaling is running a service business, NOT investing) has only about a 5% chance or less of success. You're competing against (1) well financed licensed brokers, (2) an MLS system that provides instant, worldwide access to the vast majority of residential properties for sale in the USA, (3) wholesalers spending $10,000 per month or more on marketing, (4) individual investors seeking deals on their own or thru brokers and (5) institutional buyers (I - buyers) that will make a on line cash offer on just about any residential property out there.

      After 50 years of seeing the hype, misleading “advice”, biased “opinions”,outright fraud, incompetence, lies, and distortions promoting “wholesaling” as a path to wealth/profit, I can state unequivocally that almost all the “positive” information being promoted in all forums is absolute BS.  

      If you’re interested, you can search my previous posts for the stories of successful wholesalers I’ve done business with, particularly one new to real estate who created a specialty in RV parks in Texas. 


       After 50 years of seeing the hype, misleading “advice”, biased “opinions”,outright fraud, incompetence, lies, and distortions promoting “wholesaling” as a path to wealth/profit, I can state unequivocally that almost all the “positive” information being promoted in all forums is absolute BS.

      Well, Don, why don’t you tell the poster what you really think. Lol.

  • Inland Empire, CA · Member since 2017 · 151 posts · 79 votes
    8mo
    Hey Christopher, good to meet you. I’m based out of SoCal about an hour and a half south from LA, and my partners are based out of the beach cities. We don’t do wholesaling but we do invest out of state. Happy to connect and share experiences if interested
  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    8mo

    If you have the cash, do your own deal first. I wouldn’t quit wholesaling if that’s the lane you like, I’d just strengthen it. Using your capital to complete one deal gives you a real case study you can point to the before, the after, how you bought it, how you structured it, and how it made money. Once you’ve been your own buyer, wholesaling gets easier because sellers and buyers trust you more and your package hits differently since you’re speaking from experience, not theory. With a full-time job, time is the real constraint, so let the capital back up what you’re selling, then go back to wholesaling with proof, confidence, and a stronger story. At the end of the day, buyers don’t just trust deals, they trust people and numbers presented by someone who’s been there. The same deal, shared by someone with real results, moves faster because trust removes friction. 25 in the business and there been years where I haven't sold a lot specially at the beginning.

    Graystone Investment Group517 Reviews
  • Joe S.Pro Member
    Investor · San Antonio · Member since 2020 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8mo
    Quote from @Christopher Espinoza:

    While still wholesaling about about a year I find it hard to wholesale real estate while having a full time job (truck driving) I have a a lot of capital but rarely any time to call on these leads. should I do something else ? DTA ? 

     Wholesaling is not easy. I don’t think I know of anyone that successfully has done it on a part-time basis unless it’s a one off deal.

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8mo

    Wholesaling is a dream that is being sold to new investors who don't have cash or credit. Or just enough cash to pay for the weekend course. It sounds great in theory, but in reality, it is the hardest thing to do. Literally harder than any other strategy that you can pick.

    You have to learn how to generate leads, which is an entire career. Then you have to learn how to negotiate deals and get them under contract, a totally different skill set. Then you need to understand construction and remodeling cost. You also need to know market rents and investing. And finally, you need to know how to run comps, which is something most agents struggle with often. If any one of these pieces is not 100%, you can succeed. So it is possible, but it is very very, hard and I have seen so many getting started and so very few actually close deals.

    Instead, focus on one thing. Getting licensed and working as a part-time agent is MUCH easier than wholesaling. Or BRRRR. The easiest thing is to buy a property and rent it out - which BTW is also the only true "investing in real estate"

  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8mo

    Hey Christopher,

    Balancing a full-time job with wholesaling is tough. Wholesaling is typically an entry point for people who have time but little or no capital. You’re trading your hours and effort for assignment fees instead of putting money down. 

    An option is to partner up as the money guy. Team with marketers or other wholesalers who handle the leads and calls—you provide the capital for the deals or assignment fees and split profits, often 50/50. This way, you put in minimal hours but still capture upside. You could also buy direct with your capital. That way you’re building equity instead of chasing fees, and your money works for you even if your time is limited.

  • Bo SmithPro Member
    Hinton, WV · Member since 2026 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    8mo

    Honestly the time thing with trucking is brutal but you've got something most don't - actual capital. What's been working for me is batching calls into chunks instead of trying to squeeze them in randomly. Like spend your drive time planning who to call next, then bang out 15-20 calls when you're home for the day. Are you trying to squeeze calls in during breaks or just waiting for those bigger windows at home?

  • Wholesaler · Long Beach, CA · Member since 2024 · 32 posts · 7 votes
    8mo
    Waiting for bigger windows at home
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.