Finding Mentors

5 Replies

What's the best way to find mentors in your local area that aren't crazy guru expensive?

What do you consider crazy expensive?  

Usually the people you want to mentor you who are actually active dont have time to do this as they are busy and the cost is not enough for their time. 

On the other hand, someone who might have the time to mentor you for a small cost might not be the person you want as a mentor as why are they not active and busy?  

You should go to the closest REIA meeting and meet others in your area whom you can affiliate with?

There are cost effective national speakers who have courses, boot camps and materials that are not too expensive.  Usually $2,500 or less on average.  IF that is too expensive you might want to reconsider if real estate is for you. 

Good luck

Medium buymemphisnow stacksCurt Davis, Buy Memphis Now | [email protected] | 605‑310‑7929 | http://www.BuyMemphisNow.com

@Damian Johnson  

I recommend attending cash flow meetups as well-- search meetups for Cash Flow games and attend them.  You will meet a higher level of investor at these meetings, and find good networking for educational resources. 

Honestly, if you connect well with someone, they will be happy to mentor you, FOR FREE-- but you have to be respectful of their time and effort, and be willing to have something to offer them in return.  Could this be your time?  Could this be bringing them in on a percentage of your deals?  Get creative!  We all have skills.  :)

I've learned a lot from attending seminars--not from the seminars, but from the PEOPLE attending the seminars!!  The seminars are a good way to get very basic information, but it's all info you can find on here if you really want it--and it serves as a basic overview to what investing is all about.  I've never been to a course that will actually teach you step by step, but then again, I haven't been to every single course that's offered out there.  My latest and greatest deals/connections came from getting out there and MEETING people.  I hope this helps.  :) 

I, too, am seeking a mentor to help me get to the next level--so I'm attending Toastmasters, Cash Flow games, seminars, boot camps, and networking/mastermind groups.  I forgot all about the REIC's, lol-- but I'll go for those as well!!  

I agree with you both. A true mentor will mentor you for free and most likely you would have to add value to them in some way (helping them find deals, helping them out in one of their projects, etc.)

I am also very new to REI and found it surprising that the advice kurt davis gave is that you need money to gain knowledge. This site is a wealth of information with lots of very wise people. It seems to me, this is a great place to find a mentor

Originally posted by @Curt Davis:

There are cost effective national speakers who have courses, boot camps and materials that are not too expensive.  Usually $2,500 or less on average.  IF that is too expensive you might want to reconsider if real estate is for you. 

I disagree.  The goal of these "speakers" is to upsell you to the next level NOT to truly educate you.  Yo may pick up a few things, but anything they have to offer is all available here.  Just read and ask questions.