How can I get insurance on a property I will only own a few weeks?

How can I get insurance on a property I will only own a few weeks?

Will GastonPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Hello All,

I'm closing on two properties this week for $5,000 each. I am trying to find somebody to wholesale them to but may not be able to before I have close on them on Friday. (I do not want to push the closing back because of the relationship I have with the seller).

How can I get insurance on them? I will probably only own these properties for a week or two max.  Not worried about the property, but rather about my liability.

My insurance agent does not want to insure them on a landlord's policy for one week and he doesn't think that I could add them to my homeowner's.  I also have an umbrella policy with another company that has an additional liability on all of my other rentals. But I believe if I added those to the umbrella policy they would require a regular landlord policy to be place as well.

Anybody have in suggestions?  I doubt anything will happen, but that's what insurance is for, right?

0Reply
10 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
11y

The company given in the profile of @Tim Norris should be able to insure this for you. 

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Will Gaston 

    Since your plans are to wholesale, these properties are inventory, not capital assets, which is why an landlord policy is not appropriate.   

    At $5000.00 each, are they really worth insuring?  Your deductible will likely be at least half that amount ... and it you are only holding them for two weeks, what is your real risk?

    However, if insurance is a must, what do you have for business insurance?  Does it, or could it have, an inventory rider? {then the big question becomes will the insurer see real estate as inventory}.

  • Will GastonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Roy N. Thanks for your reply.  I am not worried about the risk of the actual property, but rather someone trying to sue me if they hurt themselves while on the property and then try and and go after me or my business.  

    I don't have business insurance, but rather a commercial umbrella policy that covers additional liability above and beyond my landlord policies. 

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Will Gaston 

    If it is only liability you seek, check your umbrella policy to see if it will cover, or can be enhanced to cover, these "inventory properties".

  • Will GastonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Roy N. Thanks.  I just emailed my agent to ask and will report back.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11y

    The company given in the profile of @Tim Norris should be able to insure this for you. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Will Gaston 

      you may be able to put them on a builders risk policy.. my builders risk you just add and subtract properties monthly by filling out a simple form...

  • Will GastonPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Columbia, SC · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Roy N. I spoke with my agent and she can add them to my commercial liability policy.

    @Steve Babiak and @Jay Hinrichs Thank you for your responses. I think both of the suggestions could be great for future projects.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.