How Do I Find My Own Probate Leads in this County?

How Do I Find My Own Probate Leads in this County?

Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes

I went to the Probate Court in Detroit a few days ago to take a stab at grabbing my own probate leads for Wayne County, Michigan.

Unlike some of the adjacent counties, that have a book of all of the probate case filings, Wayne County doesn't.  Wayne County has a search engine that you have to enter either a case number or a last name to search with.

It seems like the only option to find leads on my own in Wayne County is to reference the newspaper each week and document the names of people that pass away, then search for them over a period of time on the county's computer system.

This option isn't very appealing to me, and feels downright morbid.

Is there any other way to find the names or case numbers of filings that I can use to search the system to obtain my own probate leads?

0Reply
54 views

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y

    I would file a FOIA that's typical Wayne County.  That's another reason to stay out of the county.  The systems are all messed up.

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    Filing a Freedom of Information Act request, huh?  I have no experience doing that, and it sounds a little overwhelming, but I'll look into it.

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Scott K.:

    I would file a FOIA that's typical Wayne County.  That's another reason to stay out of the county.  The systems are all messed up.

     I just went to the FOIA.gov website, and it looks like FOIA requests can only be submitted to federal agencies, so I don't think a local county municipalities can receive them, unless I'm reading something wrong.

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Alvin Grier:
    Originally posted by @Scott K.:

    I would file a FOIA that's typical Wayne County.  That's another reason to stay out of the county.  The systems are all messed up.

     I just went to the FOIA.gov website, and it looks like FOIA requests can only be submitted to federal agencies, so I don't think a local county municipalities can receive them, unless I'm reading something wrong.

    No you read it wrong.  Any city, township or county must abide by the rules.  But you know rules and wayne county don't mix 

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Alvin Grier:

    Filing a Freedom of Information Act request, huh?  I have no experience doing that, and it sounds a little overwhelming, but I'll look into it.

    http://www.waynecounty.com/search.htm?q=freedom+of+information+act

    this might help

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Alvin Grier:

    I went to the Probate Court in Detroit a few days ago to take a stab at grabbing my own probate leads for Wayne County, Michigan.

    Unlike some of the adjacent counties, that have a book of all of the probate case filings, Wayne County doesn't.  Wayne County has a search engine that you have to enter either a case number or a last name to search with.

    It seems like the only option to find leads on my own in Wayne County is to reference the newspaper each week and document the names of people that pass away, then search for them over a period of time on the county's computer system.

    This option isn't very appealing to me, and feels downright morbid.

    Is there any other way to find the names or case numbers of filings that I can use to search the system to obtain my own probate leads?

    Freedom of Information Act

  • Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 174 posts · 64 votes
    11y

    @Scott K. 

    Morbidity or not, money is money, and your are helping the heirs get it!

      I use [email protected], and have found them to be quite inexpensive, compared to other probate list providers.

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    11y

    Thanks a lot.  I'm going to give that young lady a call first thing in the morning.  Like you, I haven't had the best of experiences dealing with Wayne County, but I'll give this a shot.

  • Detroit, MI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 21 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Dave Metsker:

    @Scott K. 

    Morbidity or not, money is money, and your are helping the heirs get it!

      I use [email protected], and have found them to be quite inexpensive, compared to other probate list providers.

     True.  And if this FOIA attempt fails with Wayne County, I might just have to start documenting deaths.  Maybe I'll just have to get over it.  

    As you eluded to, helping people with these probate issues is a win-win for everyone.

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    What's bad is good and what's ggod is bad.

    Be grateful that probates are not available for free online in your area.

    Winners find ways!

    Morbid? Naw! Someday, someone will have to deal with my estate and yours too, if you have assets. It's only stuff, after all. We won't be taking it anywhere. Your estate list folks didn't take their properties with them, either. 

  • Westland, MI · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y

    @Alvin GrierHey Im a new local investor in detroit .Just wanted to reach out to you to see how you are pulling probates now. I had the sme issue at the wayne county court house today and im looking for any advice on pulling probates here in wayne county or just michigan period

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    8y
    @Demetre Lopez you have to buy the list for $10 per each page . On that list they’ll provide case numbers in which you can look at people cases . You can purchase that list at the cashier inside the Colman young building 13th floor . Then you’ll have to do research on their computer
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.