Sending yellow letters/probate

6 Replies

Hi everyone! I wanted to know y'alls opinion on sending yellow letters to people in probate. Mainly, what I would like to know is at what period of probate is the best target group. In other words if someones property just went into the probate phase is it a good time to send a letter or should I target properties that have filed 3 or more months ago or even longer?? I did a soft mailing with only about 25 letters to people who had filed within the last 3 months and I got five phone calls--all of whom were not close to being able to make a decision. I am going to follow up with these people but before I do my major mailings I would like to be as close as possible to my target group. Thanks in advance for your opinions and responses!!

If they were not ready to make a decision, what was it about your letter that would motivate    5 out of 25 people to call you?

Did you nurture them?

Did you follow up?

Your letters should not be an event but an ongoing connection to turn a lead into a prospect. It may be such that your campaign needs to include a series of letters, in sequence, that appears to create an ongoing relationship with your target audience.

@RickHarmon Well they were mostly curious about who I was and what my business was. Also they were curious as to how I got their information i.e the fact that they were in probate and addresses etc. I am currently following up with all the letters I sent and also starting a new cycle. I know it takes time, I am just trying to make sure I am on the right path :)

Re-send your letters every 30-45 days and follow up with a phone call if possible. Door knock decedent's neighbor's and ask questions. People love to talk/gossip about one another...

1‑415‑786‑6700 | CA Agent # 01858403

Originally posted by @Ashley Guzman :

@RickHarmon Well they were mostly curious about who I was and what my business was. Also they were curious as to how I got their information i.e the fact that they were in probate and addresses etc. I am currently following up with all the letters I sent and also starting a new cycle. I know it takes time, I am just trying to make sure I am on the right path :)

You're on the right path if you're taking action!

When people ask you where you got their information, just laugh and say that it's amazing what you can find in the Internet. Never fails to pacify the most curious of callers.

Part of your challenge is in becoming an effecive copywriter. The way to become a great copywriter is to talk to hundreds ane hundreds of people so that you become an expert at the type problems that bother them. 

Watergate's "deep throat" told report to follow the money. Harmon says, "follow the pain".

Thanks Rick! I am on it...maybe when I move into the California market we can have coffee sometime... :)

Originally posted by @Rick H. :
Originally posted by @Ashley Guzman:

You're on the right path if you're taking action!

When people ask you where you got their information, just laugh and say that it's amazing what you can find in the Internet. Never fails to pacify the most curious of callers.

Part of your challenge is in becoming an effecive copywriter. The way to become a great copywriter is to talk to hundreds ane hundreds of people so that you become an expert at the type problems that bother them. 

Watergate's "deep throat" told report to follow the money. Harmon says, "follow the pain".

Rick - You mentioned  a lot of great points!! :)

We also get SOME curious calls (not to many), they ask how we got their info - our comment:

"Sir - i'm sorry, this is public information, once you file with the recorders office (a public venue)

you are announcing to the world your intentions - i'm so sorry to inconvenient you - I truly respect your privacy - thank you for your time"  (now the phone number is captured) 

what I learned from this:   they're not ready to sell!!  YET---  the lead goes into our follow up system

we might get a call like this 3 times per month, not bad for what we mail per month

Key points:   learn how to handle rejection in this business

remember - when prospects say "NO" - to me it's a "NO" right now

trust me i'm calling them in 2 weeks again!!

(sorry, if i misspelled words - or grammar was off - inspected 4 probate properties today)

Michael Rae