Craigslist ad looking for buyers and the reply i received back.

9 Replies

I posted an ad on craigslist looking for interested investors / cash buyers who are looking to purchase when i have properties available in the future. I did not say I had a property and then say oh sorry its sold but give me your info and ill get back to you. I was upfront that i am building my buyers database. 

I got an email that asked if I still have the house for sale. I replied that as my ad stated, I have no house just looking for buyers for the future. here is the next email from this person. Obvious a wholesaler which is fine but the response is a "robo response" as i call it. I am looking at wholesaling and this type of person ,to me ,is the type that cause people to hate wholesalers. 

"Great. We have a few questions before we call you.

Is the house in good condition ? Does it need any repairs ?
How long have you been in the property ?
Why are you selling it ?
Are you flexible on the price ?
If we paid all cash and closed quickly what would you need ?
What's the best number to call you if we have anymore questions ?
Thanks,"

I get those almost daily, and it always starts with " is the house still for sale". You say yes and get the robo response and then nothing. They could probably make a frigging killing if they actually followed through. I made the mistake when I started out of answering back. 

But now that I think about it, this is probably how those scammers get property info. You know the ones that have a house for rent, they are leaving the country, mail them a check and you'll get the keys.

I would advise if you want to wholesale get a agent/broker's license in the state you invest.

Originally posted by @Keith Belzner :

I posted an ad on craigslist looking for interested investors / cash buyers who are looking to purchase when i have properties available in the future. I did not say I had a property and then say oh sorry its sold but give me your info and ill get back to you. I was upfront that i am building my buyers database. 

I got an email that asked if I still have the house for sale. I replied that as my ad stated, I have no house just looking for buyers for the future. here is the next email from this person. Obvious a wholesaler which is fine but the response is a "robo response" as i call it. I am looking at wholesaling and this type of person ,to me ,is the type that cause people to hate wholesalers. 

"Great. We have a few questions before we call you.

Is the house in good condition ? Does it need any repairs ?
Why are you selling it ?
Thanks,"

Hilarious, Keith. This is your competition. Are you excited yet?

Originally posted by @AJ S. :

I would advise if you want to wholesale get a agent/broker's license in the state you invest.

For what? Really?

It wasn't specific to CA, but in past wholesalers could assign/buy contracts easily. If your wholesaler having a license gives you credibility for other opportunities.

Hey @Jacob Michaels  yes knowing that how people operate I am ahead of the game. I had to mess with them a bit, i doubt they even saw this:

Great. We have a few questions before we call you.
Is the house in good condition ?

I feel it is in pretty good shape.

Does it need any repairs ?

Other then its missing 3 walls and the roof I dont believe so.

Why are you selling it ?

I need cash for my "operation"

No I need what I am asking.

At Least $75,000 plus a ZR1 corvete.

The one that does not involve an automatic email response. If you read my email I stated that I am a wholesaler like yourself and that I did not have a house. I am looking for buyers to add to my data base.

Originally posted by @Keith Belzner :

Hey @Jacob Michaels  yes knowing that how people operate I am ahead of the game. I had to mess with them a bit, i doubt they even saw this:

Great. We have a few questions before we call you.
Is the house in good condition ?

I feel it is in pretty good shape.

Does it need any repairs ?

Other then its missing 3 walls and the roof I dont believe so.

Why are you selling it ?

I need cash for my "operation"

I love the "3" and needing cash for your "operation" bit.  Did they respond?

I'd just say focus on finding a deal as opposed to building a buyers list. Like you said, some people post fake deals so that cash buyers will respond and they add them to their buyers list. Well if you find a real deal those same cash buyers will respond too. People who are buying homes aren't just sitting around waiting for an email from the many lists that they're on, they're out there looking too. 

Get the deal, don't waste time and energy on buyers lists.