Found Smokin Deal, can't find who owns it.

9 Replies

I drove by a vacant property yesterday and it turns out it's in foreclosure, probate and it has equity. Talked to the neighbor who was really friendly but didn't have contact info. The owner is deceased. Tried a skip trace..... no luck. 

How do I find the new owner? 

I would start with county records. You can do a property search and it should give you the information you are looking for. If not, it wouldn't hurt to mail something to that address and it will be forwarded to whomever is affiliated with the property.

There is a skip trace service findtheseller.com  I have used them very successfully.  You may need to contact relatives, but those are listed also.

1) Deep skip trace including all relatives

2) Hire a Private Investigator

Good Luck

Pull the death certificate. See if a 'next of kin' is listed as a relative. Also, try ancestry subscription sites. I can't say dot com because moderators will redact. 

Lastly, it ain't a smokin deal because you ain't got a seller. 

What you have is an opportunity that you are ill-equipped are unable to exploit.

Originally posted by @Nicholas Crum :

I would start with county records. You can do a property search and it should give you the information you are looking for. If not, it wouldn't hurt to mail something to that address and it will be forwarded to whomever is affiliated with the property.

You're really optimistic with that last part of your statement. :) I find it usually gets forwarded back to me.

Here are options to put on the envelope you will be sending:

What does each ancillary service mean?

Return Service Requested - Undeliverable mail is returned to you with the recipient’s new address or the reason for nondelivery; no charge.

Temp-Return Service Requested - If the recipient files a temporary change of address, the mail is forwarded at no charge. You won’t be notified.

Address Service Requested - In the first year after the recipient moves, the mail is forwarded. You’ll be given their new address and charged an address correction fee. In months 13-18, the mailpiece is returned to you with the recipient’s new address, at no charge. After 18 months, the mail is returned with the reason it couldn’t be delivered, for no charge.

Change Service Requested - You’ll be notified of the recipient’s new address or the reason the item couldn’t be delivered, and charged an address correction fee. The mailpiece is discarded or recycled.

Forwarding Service Requested - If the recipient has a change of address on file, mail will be forwarded for a year. In months 13-18, the mailpiece is returned to you with the recipient’s new address. After 18 months, mail is returned to you with the reason it couldn’t be delivered. All for no charge.

Robin,

I am not sure where you got your information from; but this is exactly what I was looking for.  Thanks for being so helpful/knowledgeable.  Have a blessed day.

Hi Jon,

Your best bet is propertyshark.com

Best,

Barry

This post has been removed.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here