Wholesaling Flyer service, tired of doing it myself

15 Replies

Can anyone recommend a service for mailing wholesale flyers?  I usually do my own, but its too darn time consuming as I now have a buyers list of over 650 buyers in my state but only physical addresses.  I would prefer something that will get their attention. I used Word to print cursive addresses on standard envelopes.  I am looking for something I can put an address with a picture or two and some details.  

@James Stevens ,..... Ooor, thats actually how some people operate their business, and succeed. I know one of the biggest wholesaler/rehabber business (besides homevestors) in So Cal has over 3000 in his list, and his business is VERY successful. 

It may suprise you here on BP that people across the US are doing things different than what YOU believe is the ideal; But thats no reason for you to bring the guy down. Now, you have lost a potential network oppurtunity for Miami, Florida. 

@Mike Nelson ...I know that YellowLetters.com mails flyers. And there some others too, just google it and you may find.... you can to your local UPS and arragne something. I know mine will design print and mail for me

Some people use flyers/postcards/mailers to keep in touch with there buyers list. Not so much to sell a contact.

Mike, He is right about emails. If you are trying to assign a contract, just use an email service like mail chimp, icontact, constant contact, or a phone blast system

Hi Paul,

Thank you for the reply,  what would be the best way getting there email?  I only have addresses from cash buyers pulled from the county record.  I have mailed before using this route in a different county with a decent response.  

@Mike Nelson I would mail that list with a note about yourself and what you can offer them. Investors get hit up ALL the time from wholesalers who never provide good deals, so you'll need to convince them of how you'll be different. 

You can provide them with your email address or website and ask them to give you an email address of their own. 

Gotta say, I almost find it amusing that wholesalers don't understand, especially in Florida, that your "business" is like running a bookie joint, you're underground, black market, off the radar "business" is the target for regulators. Yet, you want to advertise!

What happens when you mail out your flyer and one of those cash buyers happens to be a Real Estate Broker, Real Estate Attorney, Title Attorney, Agent of a Banker type that is having a really bad day and decides to just nail some joker? 

My GF got one of these flyers, guess who has it now?

After the first of the year, I'll do something with it. Probably call and act stupid for him just to see how badly he screws up. Then comes the "meeting of the minds" and his education. I think if he seems agreeable and repents to better tactics (after I learn what they are) I might let him go his merry way, might even help him. If not, he'll be toast, depending on his methods. All because he sent a flyer out in the mail. 

Wow, just thought too, if he's dealing fraudulently then he might get mail fraud added to his list! Oh, that's bad stuff!

It just depends on what he tries to pull. 

My intention is to teach not seek and destroy. But, if a treaty cannot be reached and things aren't going to be done properly, there won't be screwy guru stuff going on in my area.

I'm pretty sure other feel the same way, you have thousands of agents running around down there, so I suggest you not mail anything! 

And, I'll let you know how this pigeon turns out. Hopefully it will work out well for him.  :) 

@Mike Nelson   I am not a supporter generally of the way wholesaling is being taught on BP and other venues.. however.

I do get a lot of these letters from wholesalers I would say 1 to 5 a week as I buy a lot of property in many states for all cash.. Now I know why I get these letters folks like you trolling the public records. 

So for some constructive feedback here Is mine

1. the letters are all canned someone on BP or some other place has written stock letters and wholesalers not really having any original material they just copy what they read from others.. so all these letters basically say exact same thing and scream of form letter from newbie.

2. The message is exactly the same . again canned and not any originality in it.. nothing makes it stand out.

3. phony handwriting .. I know it probably fakes out the little old ladies but I can tell you did not personally write it.

4. trying to sound folksy not professional.. I am not sure but I guess that works.. trying to get folks to think your just an ordinary Joe.

5. And this is for pre foreclosure letters... the one's that state " hey I was just like you once" so I get the feeling that everyone who is trying to buy a preforeclsoure has themselves been through foreclosure why would I want to work with a loser... LOL. ( get these letters on the counters of houses I buy at court house steps the old owners leave them behind many times so I have read thousands of them).

OK so set yourself apart.. first thing I would do is try to make the letter look very professional it will stand out just with this fact as all the others are doing exactly what your doing and send the same letter.  I would also include a list of properties that you have available so if I do open your letter I can then go write to the address 's and see if I want to buy them.. If you have no product to sell.. then I am not interested as I would think your just fishing.

Lastly I will call about 1 in 10 I get just to say hi and see what's up... guess how many answer the phone... well you guessed it pretty much no one... I will leave a message.. guess how long it takes to get a call back.. it ranges from Never to 3 to 5 days.. Not sure were these folks learned their sales training but that generally does not cut it.

So that's my feed back on direct mail and building a buyers list that actually will buy something.

And in all my years of investing and buying property I think I might have bought less than 10 properties from an actual wholesaler... I find very good local brokers to have the best deals.  And or those that have the money and buy court house steps and flip.

OK, time for an injection of truth into this thread....

Wholesaling is NOT illegal in Florida and you can certainly advertise.  Regulators couldn't care less.  Some people wish they did, but unless you're in Ohio, they don't care.

Some of the advice on BP comes from people that HATE wholesaling, so they will over-exaggerate the risks of doing it, tell you it's illegal, and make you think you're setting up a criminal enterprise.  That is simply ridiculous.

Even big time rehabber cash buyers I work with every day wholesale deals they don't want to take on.  It's not a black and white issue as the wholesale haters will present here in BP.  Assigning contract happens ALL THE TIME.

Back to your OP, I don't understand mailing "flyers".  To me that's a printed tri-fold piece or something like that.  I suggest lower cost postcards or letters; there are a number of companies such as yellowletters.com that can do that for you at a reasonable price.

(DISCLAIMER: I am not affiliated with nor do I receive any compensation from yellowletters.com, but we are a customer of theirs.)

Mike

Keep on wholesaling is bit different today then when I started 16 years ago. I was strictly a wholesaler. Going to local meeting, building buyers list.  Jay have to agree with you on the letters. I still get a few  week. Not paying much attention to them.

I am pretty active in the local rei meting. So I can then figure out who is sending the letters.

Wholesaling and  knowing your market is the key. I still find the need to flip wholesale deals in my town. I won't deal with the lower end rentals but there are a lot of investors who do.

Been making cash offers on these lower end in deals for years. I actually worked in one area now for 16 years. At the same time I can tell you about each and every single home in  that neighborhood. So wholesaling is more then just sending flyers , finding home owners. It is knowing the market as well ( comps, rental prices high and low, and  sales.  My real estate Partner  and I actually own a few rental in this area as well. So for wholesaler pick a target market. Learn everything about it. Becoming an expert on the numbers is the key.

I originally found two guys who taught me a lot in this business.

My first 5 years I sold them 27 homes in this area. Now  with that being said double closing was not frowned upon back then. They were getting 90 % financing from the local bank.

I was pulling $4500 to $8k deal. Some times I wish I never made the leap from wholesaling to owning an investment company. 

Jay I still call bandit signs and or flyers just see who is behind them.

Try to let them bring the deals to me now a day..

Alex

Originally posted by @Bill Gulley :

Gotta say, I almost find it amusing that wholesalers don't understand, especially in Florida, that your "business" is like running a bookie joint, you're underground, black market, off the radar "business" is the target for regulators. Yet, you want to advertise!

What happens when you mail out your flyer and one of those cash buyers happens to be a Real Estate Broker, Real Estate Attorney, Title Attorney, Agent of a Banker type that is having a really bad day and decides to just nail some joker? 

My GF got one of these flyers, guess who has it now?

After the first of the year, I'll do something with it. Probably call and act stupid for him just to see how badly he screws up. Then comes the "meeting of the minds" and his education. I think if he seems agreeable and repents to better tactics (after I learn what they are) I might let him go his merry way, might even help him. If not, he'll be toast, depending on his methods. All because he sent a flyer out in the mail. 

Wow, just thought too, if he's dealing fraudulently then he might get mail fraud added to his list! Oh, that's bad stuff!

It just depends on what he tries to pull. 

My intention is to teach not seek and destroy. But, if a treaty cannot be reached and things aren't going to be done properly, there won't be screwy guru stuff going on in my area.

I'm pretty sure other feel the same way, you have thousands of agents running around down there, so I suggest you not mail anything! 

And, I'll let you know how this pigeon turns out. Hopefully it will work out well for him.  :) 

With all due respect you are incorrect in your explanation of the RE Wholesale Market.  I actually just assigned a Wholesale Deal with a Real Estate Broker directly about a week ago.  Furthermore, about 25% of my Buyers List is made up of Brokers, Appraisers, and Real Estate Attorneys.  A RE Attorney is actually on my Wholesale Team. 

It is not no underground practice for people have been doing this way before the practice got it's name "Real Estate Wholesaling".  You can mail any Wholesale deal you want!  The board has no restrictions of wholesale practices.  I assign half my contracts to Brokers and Agents alike, and they have become somewhat of a extended team members for me.

Kind of aggravates me how you are in fact, 100% inaccurate on your rant above, yet are so assured that the stuff you are saying is of fact!  What can you GF do if I sent a Yellow Letter?  In the United States and Canada, one can market property contract if they have equitable interest in the property, no if's ands or buts.  If you sign a Purchase and Sales Agreement with a Seller, you have what is known as equitable title to the property (yes even though you haven't paid a dime yet). How do I know this? I have made over $2,000,000 in the past 3 years wholesaling real estate in Massachusetts, Georgia, TN, and all of Florida.  Actually, my go to buyer in FL is a Real Estate broker.  It is NO  black market my friend and NOTHING will happen to anyone advertising their contract for assignment.  Although, 60% of my investments I buy the property in cash and quickly sell within 2-3 weeks to a cash end buyer, or double close, I still assign a good majority of contracts.

What makes what I'm saying valid and why I am calling you out? Is because I am a licensed Real Estate Broker in Massachusetts (#952683390 Board of Realtor Lic # Pin).. Owned and operated Leonard's Real Estate from 2001 to 2013 and had 8 agents working for me. Yes, I was also wholesaling deals and assigning contracts on my off time to my buyers lists. There is a lot of Wholesalers (I will agree) who get into the business that have no idea what they are doing, and in turn, perform illegal acts knowingly or unknowingly. Most I see use inflated ARV's (goes back with not knowing how to find MLS data etc.)..A realtor is a Wholesalers important asset if you ask me! Every Wholesaler should seek out 3-5 agents, brokers, or attorneys to run them comparable market analysis on potential deals. Sometimes, when I wholesale remotely in FL (which I did this 2 months ago) in West Palm Beach I found a buyer through a Agent who hand delivered my deal (assignment) to their cash buyer clients! Me and you both know you have no clue what your saying and your uttering pure opinion and guessing. Your GF did Zero! If she reported any Wholesale flyer to a broker, agent etc. NOTHING will happen. As long as they have equitable interest, submitted their EMD, they have all the right to market THE PAPER WORK *AKA CONTRACT for Assignment. Basically the wholesaler's advertising is saying "HELLO, I HAVE A CONTRACT FOR SALE (ASSIGNMENT) TO CLOSE ON THIS PROPERTY- IF YOU WANT TO HOP IN MY SHOES AS THE BUYER, THERE WILL BE A ASSIGNMENT FEE AND EARNEST MONEY DEPOSIT..Quick thinking inside the box guy, and stating false statements on things you have no clue are true or otherwise. Wholesale is not a underground business, damn, a lot of brokerages are actually doing wholesale deals themselves. In Illinois and Oklaholma, however, due to Wholesalers who have no idea what they are doing, and advertise contracts that they dont actually have interest in,caused great concern for these 2 states. Like one time I met a 50 year old woman on Connected INvestor who was fishing for accolades from people that she got her first deal under contract and she was excited. But then continues to ask the community "ok now how should I close on this property and how do I assign a contract blah blah". I could tell this woman was clueless and that noway she was able to snag a deal without either a partner, or through the illegal act of BROKERING WITHOUT A LICENSE. So, as the well known vigilant broker I am, I investigated. She gave me the address and I find the property on the IL areas local MLS. It wasnt pending and still FOR SALE. I ask the woman "do you have equitable interest in this property" which she proceeded to say to me "what's that?".. I then asked her, I see the property is still "for sale", if she had it under contract, and she tells me "umm no I don't but the Seller told me he would pay me $3400 if I found a Buyer for the property"... I then calmly ( I was boiling inside) explained to her that she can get into a lot of trouble doing what she is doing without having a established signed contract with the Seller. She was Brokering without a license and had no idea what she was doing was wrong.. She just couldnt grasp the concept that one must have equitable interest to market the deal in which the property is under and NOT market the property for a fee from the Seller. NOW THAT IS ILLEGAL. And because of stuff like this happening in mass quantities, let legislation to regulate Wholesaling (like they did in OK) in which you can Wholesale 1 property per year without a license, however to continue wholesaling in these states, one must obtain a license by that state. Only 2 states out of 50 have this law, in which doesn't apply to me because although I'm not licensed in those states, I am still A licensed broker and the law has not specified license in which they consider NOT ALLOWED TO WHOLESALE. I do see it all the time, misinformed wholesalers brokering without a license and I don't tolerate that stuff as a Broker. Although my License is renewed year after year, I sold my brokerage to Century 21 North east in April of 2013 and created/opened my own Real Estate Wholesaling Business. I have much respent form many agents and brokers- hell most of them work part time for me. In all the other states, you don't need a license, however must follow the legalities of the practice. WHICH IS: YOU ARE TO HAVE EQUITABLE INTEREST AND MARKET THE CONTRACT (PAPERWORK TO BUY THE PROPERTY) ONLY.. Yes you can show photos etc etc. The only thing a Realtor or anyone can do is terminate a contract if they didn't prefer wholesalers. Me I tell them straight up.

Anyway, although many people have no idea what they are doing, leads them to do dumb stuff which gives wholesaling a bad connotation.. I do believe all Wholesalers who get licensed solely to have a firm educational BASE of the practice and harness a sense of fiduciary responsibility to their buyers and sellers to be straight up, and follow the guidelines. I've made more wholesaling than i did 12 years at my brokerage.... All I am saying is, KNOW YOU FACTS before climbing up on the soap box proclaiming stuff that is NOT true!  I know many agents in FL that would gladly show you their credentials, read my rebuttal to your statement and will agree with me 110%.. #knowyourfacts #statingopinionsasfactannoysme

@Billy Gulley  I bet you $5,000 you didn't do shi$ nor could you do anything!  Let him go?  Crush them?  Are you gonna call the Board of Realtors to report the Wholesaler? Ohh NO! NOT THAT- From your false and made up story above tells me you couldn't squash a butt.  Take a seat brother for you cannot and have never helped anyone in RE or taught anyone a "lesson"- If you ever defamed my wholesale ads I'd sue your *** for defamation of my business.  I think you should be cautious before stating false stories that sound ridiculous.