What happens when a seller backs out of a signed contract ?

What happens when a seller backs out of a signed contract ?

Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 2 votes

I had a house under contract as of Feb, 28th. Mind you this is my first wholesale deal. The seller said he had to move to California. I found a buyer Last week and we signed assignment contract today. To good to be true right? So, I faxed over the original contract and assignment both to my attorney to help me through the wholesale process and my assignee's attorney. A few minutes later I get a call from the seller saying something came up and he is no longer moving. Sounds a little suspect. I informed my attorney and my assignee right after. Has this ever happened to anyone? If so what happened next? I didn't know you could just back out of a contract that has not expired and with earnest money given etc...Another good question is what would happen if I never found a buyer? I am awaiting to see what the attorneys decide to do...

0Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

Your problem is backing out of your buyers contract - - you are now in a position of RE Fraud, attempting to sell what you do not own.  Good luck.

See this reply in the discussion

15 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Largo, FL · Member since 2016 · 92 posts · 52 votes
    9y

    @Anita Gee, so as a wholesaler you get payed to solve problems.  If the seller has no more problems(loss of motivation) for you solve SOMETIMES it's best to agree to disagree.  I've never had this happen to me, but you might not want to burn bridges, just my .02 cents.  What you might be able to do is simply follow up as you chase the next deal.  Always stay top of mind.  Perhaps they might run into another problem for you to solve down the road!  Best of luck.  Let us know how this turned out.

  • Professional Auctioneer · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Provided your contract is in order and legal - you have a right to force the sale or record your contract in order to put yourself in the chain of title.

    He will have to pay you to go away -

    Yes we have had that happen to us - my son recently got a seller to pay him a large amount to walk away from his contract.

    This is serious - you don't need to be abused by the seller - he have a profit that was made - he - the seller needs to pay you!  

  • Investor · Lodi, NJ · Member since 2013 · 487 posts · 179 votes
    9y
    Anita Gee I'm sure this happens on a regular basis, so don't feel bad. Just get your attorneys opinion and make a decision accordingly. You may have a legal case, but the fees may outweigh the end profit. Your attorney should be able to give you options. Also get feedback on your contracts to see if there were weakness there which may be fixable in the future. Did you go to a notary? If it, get feedback there as well. Basically, do your best to put yourself in the best legal situation possible and move forward. Worse case, this is a lesson learned that will make your better in the long run.
  • Buy & Hold Owner · Redlands, CA · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    Your problem is backing out of your buyers contract - - you are now in a position of RE Fraud, attempting to sell what you do not own.  Good luck.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    The assignee is aware of the situation as I called her immediately. We will see what the attorneys suggests...@Jeff B.  I will keep everyone posted.  I am sure it happens and that's life but I just want to try to prevent mistakes like this from arising in the future...It's not fun when it happens to you....

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    I was informed by my attorney that she received a cancellation of contract today via sellers attorney.  It's expected I suppose and will happen again.  This just motivates me to try harder and have several deals pending at once so one won't seem so bad.....

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Account Closed  terrible advice... its one thing to be a bona fide buyer and another being a wholesaler trying to make middle man fee's with no real ability to close.

    clouding title is a bush league move.. unless you are buying it put up a ton of EM and seller is backing out then you can sue for performance... however probably not many have ever done this.. I myself have.

    you then need to put 100% of the purchase price in cash into escrow while you litigate.. Most wholesalers I suspect simply can't do that plus come up with the 10 to 20k in legal fees to prosecute the litigation.

    sometimes sellers change their minds its the risk real estate agents and ( wholesalers which are really real estate agents with no license) run.. it happens move on

  • Real Estate Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2012 · 427 posts · 297 votes
    9y

    I've had this happen a couple of times for various reasons and I just ate the time and money. Technically I could try to recover the money I spent on a title search, etc. but I don't bother. I even let them keep the $200 earnest money (1 might have been $100). Now I usually do more earnest money so I would maybe go after it, but back then I didn't. If the seller backed out to went around my back or something that would be a different story, but both times they ended up not moving in with their boyfriend/girlfriend or whatever their plan was. I can afford to put the closing money in escrow if I really want to and fight it, but the time + legal fees are not worth it. Take that time and effort and find more deals!  

    I would just chalk it up to the cost of doing business. If it turns out the investor went around your back, then don't work with them ever again. Since they understand the situation and are not mad about it, I'm assuming they are a professional and did not do this. These things happen, deals fall apart, everyone knows it, professionals don't get upset about it. It is no different than thinking you have a deal on a free and clear house and then BOOM huge liens from the title search no one knew about, the seller included. This is why I only show deals to people I know are pros until I close. Everyone has had a deal fall apart due to title issues at some point so they know it is all part of the business. @Jeff B. mentioned the buyer getting mad and trying to get you in trouble. This is another reason to only deal with legit real estate investors until you have closed. They know this stuff happens, they are not going to get mad at you over it. Don't post it on craigslist or anything until you own it. 

    Keep your chin up @Anita Gee . I like your last part about getting more deals so type of stuff doesn't bother you. My first wholesale I got under contract fell apart due to some title issues. I was going to make 15k. The deal fell apart, but I still got the confidence I could do this business from it. I still feel bad for the seller. They inherited the house, it was worth 50k then (probably 70k now depending on condition) but there is some lien on the house for like 100k so they flat out cannot sell it. I drive by it every now and then and they still live in it. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Hello everyone,

    Here's an update about that wholesale deal! Well mind you the seller supposedly claimed that he wasn't moving any longer.  He then had his attorney send my attorney a letter stating the deal would not take place.  This morning I happened to get an email from another wholesaler I informed about the deal when it was under contract. To my surprise the house was on his list of homes.  Which means my intuition of the seller going with someone else was correct.  Not only that I told the wholesaler about the deal thinking he'd be interested and next thing you know it's a cancelled contract and he now has it under contract.  I am learning fast that this game can be cut throat.  I informed my attorney because she works with the other  wholesaler sometimes for deals.  He referred the attorney to me actually.  She said he didn't send that deal to her; as he works with a few other attorneys sometimes.        My question is how do I prevent this from happening again in the future? 

  • Specialist · El Paso, TX · Member since 2016 · 105 posts · 84 votes
    9y

    Being the middle man/woman, you get in where you fit in. If it doesn't fit just move on, whatever you get in wholesaling is just a bonus. Because we have no intentions of buying in the first place. I had wholesaler/scavenger swoop in and take one of my deals before, I know it sucks. That was the first lesson I learned, never tell another wholesaler about a potential deal you don't have under contract yet.Maybe a Non disclosure before you tell another wholesaler ab a deal. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    thanks @Damarius Gilbert.. 

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    I've had it happen twice. Both times I had filed a memorandum/affidavit, stating that I have a valid contract to purchase this property. That clouded the title. 

    I sued for performance and got both of those properties.

  • Real Estate Syndication and Property Management · Studio City, CA · Member since 2011 · 48 posts · 71 votes
    9y
    This opens you up liability if your end buyer assignee decides to sue you for specific performance. Since you have a contract with your end buyer (assumption) they can go after you for not delivering title to them! Go after your seller for specific performance. Make them pay you for breach of contract.
  • Allen, TX · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    @Anita Gee thanks so much for sharing your experience. Keep your head up; you're a better investor after going through this. ☺

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    9y

    @Jared K.  although correct etc... most wholesalers who find them selves in this situation the last thing they have is funds for litigation.

    I just did my first specific performance suit as a buyer this last year it took about 2 years and a little over 10k.. I won though

    and the only reason I did it was that I paid the ladys back tax's she was going to lose it.. and that was 42k... then she went 1000% dark and holed up in her extreme hoarder house. I even sent the cops over on a wellness check I thought maybe she expired.

    but no just was not going to sell.. so she lived in a home that was uninhabitable to most humans for 2 years for free.. once the judge signed my order the title company transferred title based on that order but waited another 60 days incase she appealed.

    and in Oregon at least I had to have the full cash money to buy the property sit in escrow for those two years and this was 6 figures.. so while granted some wholesaler may be able to pull this off economically .. the reality is they won't..

    wholesaler are just real estate agents selling real estate illegally by and large.. so its nothing different than us brokers having a sale fail.. it happens get over it move on.

    we are now just tearing this house down.. I am going to post pictures of what a house looks like with 6 feet of garbage through out it.. we had to knock the side walls out to get the garbage out...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.