Newbie's first presentation, meeting/networking event

23 Replies

Hello guys... so next week or so I'll be going to a networking event regarding assigning contracts, double closings, etc 

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ny-101-how-to-do-assi...

Very nervous lol. I'm very introverted; kind of daunting. What should I bring with me? How should I (re)present myself? What are the kind of topics, things to say to other people who may be more experienced? Any tips, pointers, etc. any input is appreciated

Thank you for your time

300+ business cards, and a way to take info down quickly, good old spiral pocket notebook and a pencil, or electronically, although I find it difficult to organize my spur of the moment thoughts electronically.

@Cornel Smith

I’m fairly new myself but at all networking events like reias or seminars it makes me the most comfortable to be totally transparent about being new. If you are very passionate about this business that’s a plus. Exchange business cards w everyone you feel comfortable with. Take a list of all your questions about the business and get some clarity on all the things you need to know about. You’ll do great. Usually at the reias I go to the magic happens when I start networking. Potential deals seem to just manifest when you start meeting people and finding out what they do and how to help them and how they can help you. 

Originally posted by @Joel Warner :
300+ business cards, and a way to take info down quickly, good old spiral pocket notebook and a pencil, or electronically, although I find it difficult to organize my spur of the moment thoughts electronically.

Thank you. To be honest... I'm kind of struggling with what I should put on a business card. 

Originally posted by @Mark Russell :

@Cornel Smith

I’m fairly new myself but at all networking events like reias or seminars it makes me the most comfortable to be totally transparent about being new. If you are very passionate about this business that’s a plus. Exchange business cards w everyone you feel comfortable with. Take a list of all your questions about the business and get some clarity on all the things you need to know about. You’ll do great. Usually at the reias I go to the magic happens when I start networking. Potential deals seem to just manifest when you start meeting people and finding out what they do and how to help them and how they can help you. 

Thank you. 

Guess what, it's okay to be a newbie.  We all were at one time.  Be honest when talking to investors.  Learn what you can.  There is a lot of help being offered.

Originally posted by @Roland Paicely :

Guess what, it's okay to be a newbie.  We all were at one time.  Be honest when talking to investors.  Learn what you can.  There is a lot of help being offered.

Thank you 

@Cornel Smith , I'm with you about not being sure what to put on a business card.  Though my situation is a bit different.  I'm looking to just get information and learn more about being a serious investor.  (I've got 3 properties, but wasn't a serious investor until now.)  I'm in Asheville, but not looking to invest here.  I'm planning to start buying in Raleigh next year.

For business cards, I was thinking of putting my phone number and e-mail address.  I don't have a company name.  Perhaps I'd put that I was looking to invest in SFRs or small multi-4 or less units in Raleigh.  And I suppose it would be good to put my pic so they could remember who they were talking to.  That's all I can think to include.  I'd appreciate any suggestions or recommendations, as I'm sure Cornel would as well for his cards.  :-)

Originally posted by @Jody Schnurrenberger :

@Cornel Smith, I'm with you about not being sure what to put on a business card.  Though my situation is a bit different.  I'm looking to just get information and learn more about being a serious investor.  (I've got 3 properties, but wasn't a serious investor until now.)  I'm in Asheville, but not looking to invest here.  I'm planning to start buying in Raleigh next year.

For business cards, I was thinking of putting my phone number and e-mail address.  I don't have a company name.  Perhaps I'd put that I was looking to invest in SFRs or small multi-4 or less units in Raleigh.  And I suppose it would be good to put my pic so they could remember who they were talking to.  That's all I can think to include.  I'd appreciate any suggestions or recommendations, as I'm sure Cornel would as well for his cards.  :-)

Thank you. Yes. Outside of what you named; I'm really blank... for me guess it would be name, # or email... and maybe that I wholesale/buy houses since I'm considering learning how to wholesale. Yea all suggestions are welcome!!!

@Cornel Smith  Likely, the majority of the people attending the event are in the same boat you are. The beauty is, unlike being in school, nobody is "grading" you (although people always judge...). Anyway, start with the end in mind...what might the other person be looking for, and how can you help (rather than be helped)? 

In terms of business cards, IMO, make the card EASY TO READ! I hate business cards with small print, on a cute background that blends in with the words...Name/Entity, email, phone number, and what you do...(Wholesaler, as an example) should suffice. Regarding a photo, that's a good idea (unless you have an ugly mug...lol).

Originally posted by @Adam Schneider :

@Cornel Smith  Likely, the majority of the people attending the event are in the same boat you are. The beauty is, unlike being in school, nobody is "grading" you (although people always judge...). Anyway, start with the end in mind...what might the other person be looking for, and how can you help (rather than be helped)? 

In terms of business cards, IMO, make the card EASY TO READ! I hate business cards with small print, on a cute background that blends in with the words...Name/Entity, email, phone number, and what you do...(Wholesaler, as an example) should suffice. Regarding a photo, that's a good idea (unless you have an ugly mug...lol).

Lol. Might be a silly question... but being that I have no entity yet, it would be best tot leave that out right? Thank you for your input; it's much appreciated.

That's what I did--Totally left off the entity name portion. 

Fyi, this thread inspired me to create some business cards as we speak. I'm going to an event in a couple of weeks and wanted to be ready. Even though I don't think this event is for me as it's about MFR and I assume they mean larger ones, I thought it was a great place to practice networking...perhaps an even better place because less is riding on it since I don't plan on buying a larger MFR...not to mention, I don't plan on buying in this area. (I'm planning to buy in Raleigh next year.) But it will help me get ready for the real situation. Not to mention, perhaps I'll meet someone that I didn't expect to be there. :-)

@Carol Bloom , for several reasons. First, while I do live in Asheville, I don't consider it home. I just got out of the Army last year and for various reasons (like the excellent VA), I needed to be here. I talked to my financial planner about getting another property in Auburn, AL (my "real" home and where I have 3 properties), but he said I needed to find another city for diversification.

I started looking at other college towns because that was what I knew and was comfortable with.  I was also looking for a town where there was more than 1 draw--not just college.  While Asheville has a number of schools (all small), the houses are more expensive, crime is higher, the population is smaller, and in my opinion, it doesn't have the draws that Raleigh has (capital plus it's part of that famous triangle lol).  

Next year I'm hoping to go to school for my master's in social work.  However, there isn't a school in Asheville that does that, so I'd have to travel at least some (2 schools have programs partially here), an hour or an hour and a half, depending on where I got in.  Well, I have a brain injury from Iraq, so I can't drive these days.  NC State (Raleigh) has a program so if I lived there, I'd just have to Uber across town and hopefully could make friends in school and just pay for gas to class.  Though, even if I don't get into NC State, I still think Raleigh is someplace I'd rather invest.  I don't mind Asheville, but don't really have a desire to come back here on a regular basis to check on my properties once I finish my treatments and move away.

After I'd mostly decided on Raleigh, I found the blog post about the best places for rentals these days and that basically cemented my idea since Raleigh was listed.  lol

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/cities-rental-investingdata/

(Sorry for the long answer...I'm naturally talkative.  lol)

Originally posted by @Jody Schnurrenberger :

That's what I did--Totally left off the entity name portion. 

Fyi, this thread inspired me to create some business cards as we speak. I'm going to an event in a couple of weeks and wanted to be ready. Even though I don't think this event is for me as it's about MFR and I assume they mean larger ones, I thought it was a great place to practice networking...perhaps an even better place because less is riding on it since I don't plan on buying a larger MFR...not to mention, I don't plan on buying in this area. (I'm planning to buy in Raleigh next year.) But it will help me get ready for the real situation. Not to mention, perhaps I'll meet someone that I didn't expect to be there. :-)

Thank you. To anyone and everyone; where's a good place to get business cards from? 

@Jody Schnurrenberger

First and foremost thank YOU for your service! I am very sorry to hear about your brain injury I hope the VA can provide you excellent care, you and all service people deserve it!

It makes complete sense why you are looking into Raleigh plus they have excellent hospitals/teaching institutions not sure if they are part of the VA system for you.

I wish you continue success.

Carol

@Cornel Smith , I've had good luck with business card paper from Office Max and such.  It's a regular sized piece of paper, but has micro perforations so you can tear them apart.  Not sure about buying online because of the minimum number required, but there's probably somewhere that you can buy 50-100 cards if you prefer to go that way.

@Carol Bloom , thanks for your kind words. And there is a VA in Durham. I've had to go there for testing, too. But it's not as good as the Asheville one...not bad, but not as good. lol

@Jody Schnurrenberger , thanks for posting that link to best places for rentals.  I'm in the same situation as the OP, which is why I'm reading this thread, but I also really need to understand whether there's any potential for getting into rentals in my local market (Denver area).  The link you posted is exactly the kind of information I've been searching the forums for. Thanks, and good luck with your investing!

@Cornel Smith   If you want to order business cards online I've had good experiences with vistaprint.com.  Looks like you can get 100 very basic cards for $16 plus shipping ($7 standard or $20 for 3-day express). 

Originally posted by @Janice D. :

@Cornel Smith  If you want to order business cards online I've had good experiences with vistaprint.com.  Looks like you can get 100 very basic cards for $16 plus shipping ($7 standard or $20 for 3-day express). 

Thank you it's much appreciated

Vistaprint is great for business cards and always have your picture on it. Don't be afraid to be new, all the others were new at some point. Just be yourself and learn everything you can 

I sent out my order for some business cards 😁

Shortly after realized I didn't include where I'm from/market area 🤦♂️ 

Issa process...

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.