Purchasing Tax Delinquent list

5 Replies

I'm trying to purchase Tax Delinquent list from my county (Indianapolis),

They told me there is a Tax sale on October and the list is posted 30 days before that.

Is it possible I have to with so long for the list?

Or are they talking about something else and Tax sale is not the same as Tax delinquent?

Thanks

@Maya Eshel each state is a little bit different but tax delinquent is not the same as Tax Default Sales. It's kind of like how a square is a rectangle but a rectangle is not a square. Tax Delinquent just means the property tax that was due did not come in on time. The Tax Sale means that the taxing authority has waited so long and/or the back due tax amount is so high that they are willing to sell the tax obligation to the highest bidder and in return, the buyer can typically also take ownership of the house. 

Said differently, tax sales are usually tax-delinquent but every tax delinquent is not necessarily up for tax sale. Hope it helps!

Thank you very much @Marvin McTaw , This is the information I was looking for.

So when they in the tax delinquent list how long back they haven't paid the taxes?

Originally posted by @Maya Eshel :

Thank you very much @Marvin McTaw, This is the information I was looking for.

So when they in the tax delinquent list how long back they haven't paid the taxes?

There's no standard answer. It changes from taxing authority to taxing authority. I would suggest you talk to someone in the office that handles these. They may have a standard and/or guideline for handling. 

Originally posted by @Marvin McTaw :
Originally posted by @Maya Eshel:

Thank you very much @Marvin McTaw, This is the information I was looking for.

There's no standard answer. It changes from taxing authority to taxing authority. I would suggest you talk to someone in the office that handles these. They may have a standard and/or guideline for handling. 

I agree with Marvin, but as a general rule, most counties won't do this for at least two years, usually more.

Thus, if you're interested in buying the property directly from the owner instead of a tax sale (a PreForeclosure), look out for properties that are 2+ years behind on their taxes.

How long counties wait to put a property in a tax sale varies from less than a  year to a couple of years and tax authorities might be speeding things up.  This year I have bought 5 properties that owned taxes just for last year 

Now, about the original question  inquiring about tax sales lists versus tax delinquent List, i want to point out that the Tax Sale List can be seen as an "Extremely Tax Delinquent  List " and its a great source of leads and  I have had much better response rates using the Tax Sale List.

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here