What to say to motivated seller??

What to say to motivated seller??

Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 67 posts · 24 votes

Heres the scenario,
You've done your marketing, the phone is ringing......you have several good leads. Two or three are really good deals at the right price. You pick out a couple of the leads to call back. You call them.....the phone is ringing.......you're waiting on them to answer.....then they pick up, "Hello," an woman answers............after introducing myself... "Hi Mrs, Pockets, how are you today, this is Kenneth Lee, you left a message after reading one of my signs about selling a house."

What do i say to the seller, do i let them know that i wont be personally buying the house??

do i explain what wholesaling is to them??

What do i say to get around all that?

From a sellers point of view, how am i any different than a agent trying to sell my house??

Anyone use a certain script??

1Reply
134 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 181 posts · 66 votes
15y

I agree with Chris.

Here is how it goes for me

Me: Can you tell me about your property and why you need to sell

Seller: blah blah blah my house is great blah blah i need to sell fast for a random reason.

Me: What is your asking price

Seller: 55k

If this sounds like a good priced home that I can wholesale I continue the convo, if not I save their info and call them again when they become more motivated to sell.

Me: Is the home listed with a realtor

Seller : no its not (if yes then bye bye from me, save info and call if listing expires)

Me: ok great, when would be a good time for me to come view the home

After driving to the home & building rapport with the homeowners.

Me: Whats the lowest you would accept as a cash offer that can close in 2 weeks.... then I negotiate a price with the homeowner.

Seller: Well I only owe 50k on the mortgage so I would take 50k cash

Me: Ok that sounds great, i will not be purchasing the home myself but what I can do to help you out is put this property under contract so i have equitable interest in your home. I will then spend MY money to market your home and will also show it to my cash investors. I have a ton of friends who are buying properties right now to buy and hold as rentals, so I will mark up the price and sell it to them if thats ok with you.

Seller: Sounds great

If seller says "but what if i find my own buyer, I don't want to be stuck in a contract with you if I sell it on my own"

Me: Well thats not problem at all, we can just sign a simple one page addendum to the contract that states my contract is only valid if MY COMPANY finds the buyer, so if you sell it buy yourself I will happily rip my contract up.

Seller: Ok thank you so much for your help

Me: start blasting the property on CL, e-mails to my cash buyers, and go crazy with bandit signs.

This is for wholesale leads only, the conversations go much differently if the homeowner is behind on payments or something of that nature.

Hope this helps!

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    15y

    Honesty is always the best policy - NAR tells their agents to "disclose - disclose - disclose" but many do not and that is where problems develop.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 67 posts · 24 votes
    15y

    I agree, on the same hand.......to much explaining and complicating, especially being new, couldnt that scare off some potential sellers. Opinions?

    What do you say to your motivated sellers?
    are you guys Keeping it simple?
    Do you Use a script?

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    15y

    Basically - you are there to solve their problems. Let them know that you are an investor and will need to buy at a price that will allow you to make a profit. By being open and up front - you will be able to work with them easier.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 67 posts · 24 votes
    15y

    thats actually really good Realtyman.....simple and covers a lot of area. Being and investor to me broadens ways I'll make a profit on that particular propety. Thats definitely going to be in the script somwhere.........."investor"

    what do you say to your motivated sellers?

    Thanks realtyman
    Kenneth Lee

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Realtyman:
    Basically - you are there to solve their problems. Let them know that you are an investor and will need to buy at a price that will allow you to make a profit. By being open and up front - you will be able to work with them easier.

    Agreed 100%

  • Lender · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2008 · 166 posts · 46 votes
    15y

    Hi Kenneth,
    Realtyman is right on with being transparent with the seller. It all boils down to the fact that you are dealing with a "motivated" seller. So get to know what that motivation is..dont jump immediately into business. Get to know them, and be a friend.. someone who they know understands what they are going through.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2010 · 67 posts · 24 votes
    15y

    I like that Dan........sit back and let them tell you everything.

    So for the most part, there is no written script. You just have to go with the flow???

    Thanks guys
    Kenneth lee

  • Real Estate Agent · MA · Member since 2010 · 29 posts · 3 votes
    15y

    There are a couple of key questions to ask. First one is, if you had your ideal. Situation when would you like to see the property close? If the answer yesterday or tomorrow you know you have a potential deal. Then ask them to seperate there wants from there needs. Everybody wants top dollar for there home. But if they need to sell it in ten days there is a price to pay for that. Lastly build a rapor with them. Ask about there kids look at pictures on the walls and comment about them. Once this happens they will spill there guts to you. Also let them know you are there to help them and at the same time find a way to make a small profit
    Kenny

  • Real Estate Investor · Port St Lucie, FL · Member since 2009 · 41 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    After listening for a bit, I tell them up front if I will buy it, or if I will find an investor who will buy it.

    I tell them that I have a network of people who will want that house and they don't have to keep hunting and pecking and waiting for people, marketing etc. ..

    I don't go into the legalese of assignments and stuff unless they ask, but I tell them up front that is what I'm doing.

    But only after listening to see if I can buy it, or one of my investors will. If it's not a match, I tell them so. . with "I'm not the right buyer for you. I can't help you meet that goal."

    Chris

  • Real Estate Broker · Orlando, FL · Member since 2008 · 181 posts · 66 votes
    15y

    I agree with Chris.

    Here is how it goes for me

    Me: Can you tell me about your property and why you need to sell

    Seller: blah blah blah my house is great blah blah i need to sell fast for a random reason.

    Me: What is your asking price

    Seller: 55k

    If this sounds like a good priced home that I can wholesale I continue the convo, if not I save their info and call them again when they become more motivated to sell.

    Me: Is the home listed with a realtor

    Seller : no its not (if yes then bye bye from me, save info and call if listing expires)

    Me: ok great, when would be a good time for me to come view the home

    After driving to the home & building rapport with the homeowners.

    Me: Whats the lowest you would accept as a cash offer that can close in 2 weeks.... then I negotiate a price with the homeowner.

    Seller: Well I only owe 50k on the mortgage so I would take 50k cash

    Me: Ok that sounds great, i will not be purchasing the home myself but what I can do to help you out is put this property under contract so i have equitable interest in your home. I will then spend MY money to market your home and will also show it to my cash investors. I have a ton of friends who are buying properties right now to buy and hold as rentals, so I will mark up the price and sell it to them if thats ok with you.

    Seller: Sounds great

    If seller says "but what if i find my own buyer, I don't want to be stuck in a contract with you if I sell it on my own"

    Me: Well thats not problem at all, we can just sign a simple one page addendum to the contract that states my contract is only valid if MY COMPANY finds the buyer, so if you sell it buy yourself I will happily rip my contract up.

    Seller: Ok thank you so much for your help

    Me: start blasting the property on CL, e-mails to my cash buyers, and go crazy with bandit signs.

    This is for wholesale leads only, the conversations go much differently if the homeowner is behind on payments or something of that nature.

    Hope this helps!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Seminole, FL · Member since 2010 · 859 posts · 316 votes
    15y

    Sounds like armed with the right questions and converstational ability you will easily do well Kenneth. Nice thread btw.

  • Wholesaler · Yeadon, Philadelphia · Member since 2008 · 33 posts · 14 votes
    15y

    I ask several questions to the homeowner

    Like is there a mortage still owed on the property ?if so how much do you owe?

    Do you owe any back taxes for the property?

    so why are you looking to sell?
    try to get a specfic answer:divorce,moving out of state,need the money, the reason being you need to know there motive and that way you can kind of get a better feel of there situation and that will help in you negotiating.

    lets says the sellers is asking 100k for the property

    you would then say whats the least you can take if i were to pay in cash an close very quickly.

    sellers says 75k

    you say is that best you can do ?You have to consider im paying with cash and can close very quickly

    you can usually get the seller to drop a few thousand dollars after that.

    those are some of the questions i usually ask when talking to a seller

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 1 post · 0 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Johnny P.:

    I agree with Chris.

    Here is how it goes for me

    Me: Can you tell me about your property and why you need to sell

    Seller: blah blah blah my house is great blah blah i need to sell fast for a random reason.

    Me: What is your asking price

    Seller: 55k

    If this sounds like a good priced home that I can wholesale I continue the convo, if not I save their info and call them again when they become more motivated to sell.

    Me: Is the home listed with a realtor

    Seller : no its not (if yes then bye bye from me, save info and call if listing expires)

    Me: ok great, when would be a good time for me to come view the home

    After driving to the home & building rapport with the homeowners.

    Me: Whats the lowest you would accept as a cash offer that can close in 2 weeks.... then I negotiate a price with the homeowner.

    Seller: Well I only owe 50k on the mortgage so I would take 50k cash

    Me: Ok that sounds great, i will not be purchasing the home myself but what I can do to help you out is put this property under contract so i have equitable interest in your home. I will then spend MY money to market your home and will also show it to my cash investors. I have a ton of friends who are buying properties right now to buy and hold as rentals, so I will mark up the price and sell it to them if thats ok with you.

    Seller: Sounds great

    If seller says "but what if i find my own buyer, I don't want to be stuck in a contract with you if I sell it on my own"

    Me: Well thats not problem at all, we can just sign a simple one page addendum to the contract that states my contract is only valid if MY COMPANY finds the buyer, so if you sell it buy yourself I will happily rip my contract up.

    Seller: Ok thank you so much for your help

    Me: start blasting the property on CL, e-mails to my cash buyers, and go crazy with bandit signs.

    This is for wholesale leads only, the conversations go much differently if the homeowner is behind on payments or something of that nature.

    Hope this helps!

     Hey Johnny how are you. My question is; If the seller has the property listed with a Realtor Why would you not continue with this deal and try to wholesale it?

  • Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 141 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    Does everyone else agree with Johnny P above that you would tell them that you're not going to be buying the house yourself? Does that ever kill the deal? Are they ok when we tell them we are going to mark up the price to sell it? Are they ok when we mention we are a group of investors? What things have you said that killed your chances of buying the house and/or made them mad?

  • Hampton, VA · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y
    I know this is 6 years old but omg! This is what I needed. I was stuck at how exactly I should approach my prospects. Now I have a list of 30 properties. I have a ton of abandoned ones in the mix. I plan to look up all of these homes to get better details before I call. Are there any loop holes in regards to the abandoned homes? Also I am i Virginia and would love to know where to begin with the actual title company? Thank you for your amazing answers! Originally posted by @Johnny P.:

    I agree with Chris.

    Here is how it goes for me

    Me: Can you tell me about your property and why you need to sell

    Seller: blah blah blah my house is great blah blah i need to sell fast for a random reason.

    Me: What is your asking price

    Seller: 55k

    If this sounds like a good priced home that I can wholesale I continue the convo, if not I save their info and call them again when they become more motivated to sell.

    Me: Is the home listed with a realtor

    Seller : no its not (if yes then bye bye from me, save info and call if listing expires)

    Me: ok great, when would be a good time for me to come view the home

    After driving to the home & building rapport with the homeowners.

    Me: Whats the lowest you would accept as a cash offer that can close in 2 weeks.... then I negotiate a price with the homeowner.

    Seller: Well I only owe 50k on the mortgage so I would take 50k cash

    Me: Ok that sounds great, i will not be purchasing the home myself but what I can do to help you out is put this property under contract so i have equitable interest in your home. I will then spend MY money to market your home and will also show it to my cash investors. I have a ton of friends who are buying properties right now to buy and hold as rentals, so I will mark up the price and sell it to them if thats ok with you.

    Seller: Sounds great

    If seller says "but what if i find my own buyer, I don't want to be stuck in a contract with you if I sell it on my own"

    Me: Well thats not problem at all, we can just sign a simple one page addendum to the contract that states my contract is only valid if MY COMPANY finds the buyer, so if you sell it buy yourself I will happily rip my contract up.

    Seller: Ok thank you so much for your help

    Me: start blasting the property on CL, e-mails to my cash buyers, and go crazy with bandit signs.

    This is for wholesale leads only, the conversations go much differently if the homeowner is behind on payments or something of that nature.

    Hope this helps!

  • Central FL · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 1 vote
    9y
    Originally posted by @Johnny P.:

    I agree with Chris.

    Here is how it goes for me

    Me: Can you tell me about your property and why you need to sell

    Seller: blah blah blah my house is great blah blah i need to sell fast for a random reason.

    Me: What is your asking price

    Seller: 55k

    If this sounds like a good priced home that I can wholesale I continue the convo, if not I save their info and call them again when they become more motivated to sell.

    Me: Is the home listed with a realtor

    Seller : no its not (if yes then bye bye from me, save info and call if listing expires)

    Me: ok great, when would be a good time for me to come view the home

    After driving to the home & building rapport with the homeowners.

    Me: Whats the lowest you would accept as a cash offer that can close in 2 weeks.... then I negotiate a price with the homeowner.

    Seller: Well I only owe 50k on the mortgage so I would take 50k cash

    Me: Ok that sounds great, i will not be purchasing the home myself but what I can do to help you out is put this property under contract so i have equitable interest in your home. I will then spend MY money to market your home and will also show it to my cash investors. I have a ton of friends who are buying properties right now to buy and hold as rentals, so I will mark up the price and sell it to them if thats ok with you.

    Seller: Sounds great

    If seller says "but what if i find my own buyer, I don't want to be stuck in a contract with you if I sell it on my own"

    Me: Well thats not problem at all, we can just sign a simple one page addendum to the contract that states my contract is only valid if MY COMPANY finds the buyer, so if you sell it buy yourself I will happily rip my contract up.

    Seller: Ok thank you so much for your help

    Me: start blasting the property on CL, e-mails to my cash buyers, and go crazy with bandit signs.

    This is for wholesale leads only, the conversations go much differently if the homeowner is behind on payments or something of that nature.

    Hope this helps!

    Johnny. If I am a license agent but my license is in a voluntary inactive status and have never been used, do I still need to disclose to the seller that I have a license?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.