"How did you get my address?"

10 Replies

I was just asked by a potential seller, via email, how I got their address. I used Listsource to pull my first list and sent out a mailer. Should I just mention the county assessor page? Lol

Does anyone have an example of how to respond?

Thanks,

Stephen

Just tell them you used a service that pulls public records, such as homeowner information. Using the term "public record" might remind them that their information is no secret, and therefore, you did nothing wrong/illegal/shady in getting that information.

Well it’s one of my first leads, but telling a seller I found them on whichever list seems like it’d make them feel uneasy. But I do agree that honesty and transparency is best.

Originally posted by @Nicole A. :

Just tell them you used a service that pulls public records, such as homeowner information. Using the term "public record" might remind them that their information is no secret, and therefore, you did nothing wrong/illegal/shady in getting that information.

I love this!! Thanks!! 

Part of this whole industry involves people feeling uneasy. But you can deliver the message in a manner that is friendly and informative. They'll learn something (or be reminded of it) whether they're happy about it or not. :-)

During my day job when I get this question - I just tell them honestly. I use a vendor (similar to List Source) that pulls from public record or whichever other avenue I used to pull the information from,  like someone above suggested.  It's easier to remember the truth than a lie and ppl like honesty. Mostly everything can be found on the internet and I think most ppl understand that by now. 

Originally posted by @Matt P. :
Since this thread is one of the first links that pops up when I Google your name your cirty and "real estate" I'd tell the truth lol.

Lol well I am super new

"Its on the front of the building..."

But sarcasm aside, I would say something like "I got your address from the public record on file in *blah blah* county/city/state."

Then follow up with the pitch,

"I noticed you are getting tax bill for *property I want* sent to *out of area*, would you be interested in selling your out-of-area property?"

Trying to think of a better term then out-of-area but you get the idea I assume.