BIRD DOGGING ADVICE

5 Replies

Is it legal to pay someone not licensed a fee for a referral aka bird dogging? If people start calling you and giving referrals how can you compensate them? I’ve heard of a rule/law in Texas for non licensed individuals. They can only receive a gift not to exceed a value over $50.

This is a great question.  

Nathan, I am not sure that you understood the question.  It is about paying for information about some property that might be coming up for sale, or about some person that is looking to buy something.  (buying information, NOT buying real estate)

I offered a bird dog fee for info at one time.  But apparently, this is illegal in Florida, so I quit doing it.  A Realtor explained to me that it was illegal, and I accepted his advice at that time.

But, I'm not sure I understand the logic.  Can someone explain it?

@James Barnhart   some RE agents don't understand the investing world. I recently met one in Atlanta and he never heard of wholesaling and never worked with one (now he is!) in all his 10+ years of RE. 

To pay a fee is not illegal, consider it administrative/consulting. Keep it simple. 

RE agents tell me what I am doing is not possible yet I still cash the checks and pay taxes. 

Originally posted by Account Closed:

@James Barnhart  some RE agents don't understand the investing world. I recently met one in Atlanta and he never heard of wholesaling and never worked with one (now he is!) in all his 10+ years of RE. 

To pay a fee is not illegal, consider it administrative/consulting. Keep it simple. 

RE agents tell me what I am doing is not possible yet I still cash the checks and pay taxes. 

Thank you, Barbee.  I loved what you said.  

This made my day.