Quit My Job and Plan to Wholesale

537 Replies

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden :
Originally posted by @Terrell Johnson:
rtmann how do you begin to wholesale house like I'm truly ignorant as to how one would begin

Wholesaling:

1. You need discounted properties. 
  2. You need a countract with an escape clause that you should NEVER use
  3. You need backend buyers

Now from there take each point and work backwards. 

The reason I refuse to give you a recipe is because you will inherently just follow tasks without thinking. That is the sure way to end up where 90% of the wholesalers end up at.

Nowhere.

You need to think. Be smart. Think outside the box.

OK now.. go backwards,

What is the best way to get discounted properties?

1. You should have no competition
  2. You should spend little to no money on said leds
  3. Should be effortless

What does all this? A ranking website. SO: Get a website, Lear SEO, Rank it high and this will happen...

This is the #1 thing you should have no matter what you do in REI. Wholesaling Flipping, BRRRRRRRR, you need a continuous flow of leads coming in.

Then go to step 2, and work again backwards.

Now to the following step till you have it all laid out. Now you have a complete list of tasks and steps in front of you that you now should convert into actionable steps.

Do not rely on others her eon the forums to magically give you the magic guide how to. 

It

Doesn't

Help

Trust me I have been there and no one by far has worked as hard as I have to make it.. NO ONE, no ot you , not you and not you. Don't care what you all think, I have done the unthinkable obsessively maniac beat mode to get here.

How do I know no one did as much as I did? I ranked my site # 1 in 3 to 4 months... I thik that is a record.

So believe me I tried and now I have the magic guide .. how I did it... ad this guide will not help you... unless you are doing what @Melanie Hartmann is doing, and what I did. Relentlessly making it work.

That is seriously the best thing you can do. 

Do the research get the education get what you need and just make it happen.

It is practically unheard of to have your site rank #1 that quickly. There are so many things you have to do to get there. I'm learning new ways every single day. It's literally blowing my mind wide open. I'm getting my business verified by Google now. It'll be my first piece of mail to my business's address. :)

I read recently that less than 6% of sites even rank on google's first page within their first year. Most sites at the top are closer to 3 years old. So, Jerryll, you rock! And because of you, I'm rocking too!

It's crazy because Google actually supplies all of the tools you need to get there for FREE. You just have to implement them and work on them often. It is incredibly time consuming to learn and implement though for someone who has never done this before. You gotta do what you gotta do though. If you want something bad enough you work at and on it every single day. Get better!

I'm no stranger to busting my ***. I've had to do that repeatedly to get to where I was and the job I'm leaving. However, all that busting butt to get to where I just left, it was not enough of a "pay-off" for me, as far as my emotional health and freedom. Also, the money was not any sort of compensation for what I was expected to endure on a daily basis. Once I figured out what my take-home pay was, I just shook my head. $70K sounds like a lot to someone who grew up incredibly poor on the verge of being evicted from our apartment on a monthly basis but I was only bringing home about $35K to spend/invest how I wanted. Growing up, I had to keep any birthday money I received and get a part-time job as soon as I could because my mother was incredibly irresponsible with money. If I didn't want to be on the streets... well, I worked and went without so I wouldn't be homeless and on the streets. So I could help pay the rent that my mother couldn't manage to do. We don't have a great relationship these days - haven't spoken to her in a year now because she continued to want me to take care of her and I just couldn't anymore. I did not bust my *** just so I could keep taking care of her. I busted my *** so I wouldn't be like her as an adult and I could take care of own my family, like she couldn't do. I wanted to ensure that my children did not have to go through all of what I went through growing up. (Though, I do hope they still find GRIT somewhere and don't become lazy adults, haha)

So far, yes this work is incredibly time consuming, but it's not tiresome or exhausting. It's seriously a walk in the mother-f*ing park compared to what I've endured for the past 15-20 years of my young life. It ain't no thang. I wake up in the middle of the night, I work on my business. I'm doing dishes/laundry - I'm watching videos about working my business. Even if I'm supposed to be "relaxing" and hanging out with my family, I'm working on my business. I can't even begin to think about truly relaxing until I've gotten that first check. How can I say what I'm doing is actually working until I close that first deal. When that happens, I'll allow myself a true breather. Well to be honest, I have allowed myself about 4-5 hours of "breathing" since I've started this venture about 10 days ago. I've even had my oldest child expedite his learning in cooking and helping to take care of his younger sister so I can focus more on this business. And he's actually loving it (most of the time, haha). 

You do what you do. Don't let anyone tell you you can't. Engage in self-love. I've even begun listening to motivational speeches on YouTube these past couple of days while I'm doing chores - as part of a mental break and to keep me on my toes. I'm loving every damn second of it. I know what I want. It's not inspired by greed or materialistic things. I want freedom. I want to work for myself. I want to give back to those who came from where I did, once I make it big. I have GRIT. I persevere. Anything in life that I have TRULY wanted, I've gotten. I did what it took and I GOT IT. This I will get too because I want it. I'm pushing myself and getting out of my comfort zone to do it, because I want this and I will have it. Plain and simple. 

Writing these posts do not directly help my business but it helps me and my mindset. It helps process my thoughts and motivate myself to keep going. Even replies/posts I've written but then completely deleted without posting. They have helped too. Odds and statistics do not scare me. They motivate me. I've beaten so many that have been thrown my way, you wouldn't even believe. Again, those are just numbers. They do not define a person. I am not a bunch of numbers. I am me. I am Melanie Lauren Hartmann. I will do what needs to be done to get where I need to be. Always have, and always will. (So to the naysayers who have said in so many words, "Just because you are you doesn't mean you will be successful." No, my dears. That's EXACTLY what that means).

@Melanie Hartmann best of luck! You will do great with that kind of determination! I am starting out part time, but I’m the only income so I don’t have that flexibility. I am already making some headway part-time so I know you’re gonna do well going ‘all-in’!
Originally posted by @Andrew Neal :

@Melanie Hartmann you spelled "Lose" wrong  on your site, just one O. May turn folks off. 

It's been corrected. Thank you for bringing that to my attention! (I'll have to fire my secretary now... haha)

Congrats on taking a chance. Obviously this something you've taken time to consider. Just some advice. If you and your spouse are renting think about getting a multi-family unit to help lower expenses even more. Join meet-ups in the area and actually go to the meetings. You'll be surprised how many people are willing to help. Try to figure out something you're good at and offer to help others. Biggerpockets has everything you need and then some. Watch, listen, and apply. That's the only way. God bless and don't listen to the negative people. Please update.
@Melanie Hartmann big props and a hearty congrats! I quit my job in July, all in. It’s scary stuff to be sure, but as my investor buddy @Jordan Butts says “you gotta risk it for the biscuit”. I’m in WV about an 1.5 from Baltimore, lived in Silver Spring til last year. Hit me up if you get any good deals.
@Matt K. Hey Matt, so I’m in a similar situation as the above. I work with a company where i rarely have time to touch my phone except on breaks. I feel that if I’m actually out there “boots on ground”, it would be more beneficial for me. Hours at work also plays a part into it as well.
Originally posted by @Richard G. :
Congrats on taking a chance. Obviously this something you've taken time to consider. Just some advice. If you and your spouse are renting think about getting a multi-family unit to help lower expenses even more. Join meet-ups in the area and actually go to the meetings. You'll be surprised how many people are willing to help. Try to figure out something you're good at and offer to help others. Biggerpockets has everything you need and then some. Watch, listen, and apply. That's the only way. God bless and don't listen to the negative people. Please update.

Thank you Richard! House hacking is GREAT strategy. I wish I had gone that route and gotten a duplex when I bought the house we live in. I was only just beginning to learn then - and I needed assistance from the government/county to purchase my home and they would not allow for properties that you could house-hack. Silly, really... especially for a first time home-owner. But alas, when we move, I may look into a duplex. 

Thank you for the other tidbits. Haha, I'm very much learning how to flex my "ignoring muscles" - something we used to teach the wee ones I used to work with. Listening to motivational speeches is helping with that a ton. To the naysayers, yes, I know a dream and a hope won't get you there. Hard work, grit, and determination is the name of the game. You still have to check your own limiting beliefs and get out of your own way. The speeches really do help with that.

So far with minimal marketing, I've got 17 buyers on my list now. I've got some mailers going to more potential cash buyers early to mid-September. I've also ordered some other marketing materials like business cards (I LOVE them!), pens with the logo, #s and 2 main websites, and some car decals/bumper stickers. I know they say car decals are not helpful - but it's a one time expense and if I get one deal out of it and/or more exposure of my brand/websites, it was more than worth it. I know they also say not to mail to potential cash buyers - but again, it wasn't that expensive to do and I might get some genuine buyers. Again, if I get ONE genuine buyer that can close a deal with me, that will be more than worth it. 

Next steps are to work "the Craigslist" and direct mail potential motivated sellers and continue SEOing the heck out of my websites and get my business ranked on Google. Then I can be like @Jerryll Noorden , the SEO master! And yes, I turned SEO into a verb, deal with it :P

Originally posted by @Patrick Watson :
@Melanie Hartmann big props and a hearty congrats! I quit my job in July, all in. It’s scary stuff to be sure, but as my investor buddy @Jordan Butts says “you gotta risk it for the biscuit”. I’m in WV about an 1.5 from Baltimore, lived in Silver Spring til last year. Hit me up if you get any good deals.

Haha, love it! It's scary but it's also incredibly liberating. Today would have been day two back at work after summer break. I think it's finally starting to sink in that I'm working for myself now and it's pretty freaking awesome!  I'm so much more relaxed about life in general. It's a beautiful thing. Read your profile, and I completely get it. I'm thriving over here. Every second I get, I'm back at it. Middle of the night, watching TV (which I'm not doing much of these days), first thing in the morning, last thing at night. This kind of thing is my drug. I haven't worked toward something challenging like this in years. It's my life line and completely feeds my soul. I still can't believe the money that can be made. I almost don't believe it myself - but I have to otherwise I will not succeed.

And sure thing! Feel free to head over to the website in my signature here on BP to sign-up to be on my preferred buyers list. You can specify preferred areas there, etc. and that way I won't loose track of you!  

Originally posted by @Justin Austin :
@Matt K. Hey Matt, so I’m in a similar situation as the above. I work with a company where i rarely have time to touch my phone except on breaks. I feel that if I’m actually out there “boots on ground”, it would be more beneficial for me. Hours at work also plays a part into it as well.

If you have any kind of real responsibility at your job and people breathing down your neck, doing this part-time while you still have a day job, is doable but it's not easy. In my opinion doing it part-time is with another job pulling you in several different directions is much much more difficult than doing focusing just on real estate full-time. Don't give up though, people do it and are doing it. It takes determination and hard f*ing work but it is doable.

Originally posted by @Patrick Watson :

Haha, love it! It's scary but it's also incredibly liberating. Today would have been day two back at work after summer break. I think it's finally starting to sink in that I'm working for myself now and it's pretty freaking awesome!  I'm so much more relaxed about life in general. It's a beautiful thing. Read your profile, and I completely get it. I'm thriving over here. Every second I get, I'm back at it. Middle of the night, watching TV (which I'm not doing much of these days), first thing in the morning, last thing at night. This kind of thing is my drug. I haven't worked toward something challenging like this in years. It's my life line and completely feeds my soul. I still can't believe the money that can be made. I almost don't believe it myself - but I have to otherwise I will not succeed.

And sure thing! Feel free to head over to my site and sign up to be on the preferred buyers list (if you haven't already). You can specify preferred areas there, and that way I won't loose track of you! 

@Melanie sometimes you have dive in head first, especially in real estate! If it’s hard shouldn’t you put your all into it? That’s the way I see it.... it’s definitely not easy but it’s also not impossible, I think as long as you did it for the right reason you’ll plow through because the passion will keep you going. At the end of the day it’s about being happy and if your job wasn’t a happy place for you and wholeselling full time is, go for it, you can always get a job but you can never go back to doing what you wanted to do when your on your death bed.
Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann :
Originally posted by @Patrick Watson:

And sure thing! Feel free to head over to my site and sign up to be on the preferred buyers list (if you haven't already). You can specify preferred areas there, and that way I won't loose track of you! 

This thread has literally gone viral (by BP standards) Congrats! Keep it up!

Originally posted by @Richard G.:

Thank you Richard! House hacking is GREAT strategy. I wish I had gone that route and gotten a duplex when I bought the house we live in. I was only just beginning to learn then - and I needed assistance from the government/county to purchase my home and they would not allow for properties that you could house-hack. Silly, really... especially for a first time home-owner. But alas, when we move, I may look into a duplex. 

Thank you for the other tidbits. Haha, I'm very much learning how to flex my "ignoring muscles" - something we used to teach the wee ones I used to work with. Listening to motivational speeches is helping with that a ton. To the naysayers, yes, I know a dream and a hope won't get you there. Hard work, grit, and determination is the name of the game. You still have to check your own limiting beliefs and get out of your own way. The speeches really do help with that.

So far with minimal marketing, I've got 17 buyers on my list now. I've got some mailers going to more potential cash buyers early to mid-September. I've also ordered some other marketing materials like business cards (I LOVE them!), pens with the logo, #s and 2 main websites, and some car decals/bumper stickers. I know they say car decals are not helpful - but it's a one time expense and if I get one deal out of it and/or more exposure of my brand/websites, it was more than worth it. I know they also say not to mail to potential cash buyers - but again, it wasn't that expensive to do and I might get some genuine buyers. Again, if I get ONE genuine buyer that can close a deal with me, that will be more than worth it. 

Next steps are to work "the Craigslist" and direct mail potential motivated sellers and continue SEOing the heck out of my websites and get my business ranked on Google. Then I can be like @Jerryll Noorden , the SEO master! And yes, I turned SEO into a verb, deal with it :P

Lol! That's wonderful you have hit the ground running. In any venture in life you can always accomplish whatever you want as long as you continue to fight through the road blocks. Focus on productivity and results. I will check out your site. 

Next steps are to work "the Craigslist" and direct mail potential motivated sellers and continue SEOing the heck out of my websites and get my business ranked on Google. Then I can be like @Jerryll Noorden, the SEO master! And yes, I turned SEO into a verb, deal with it :P

There can only be 1!

I'm with @Israel Torres on this. I'm in the same boat with you on diving in head first. 

I did the same thing. I recommend reading up on ************* and some if his books. One of which us Be a Real Estate Millionaire. 

You can also learn a lot from him on YouTube or his free content. 

I wish you the best of luck and would love to hear about your journey. Thanks for talking us along for the ride,  bumpy or smooth as it might be. 

@Melanie Hartmann I just wanted to check in and see how things were going! Girl, you've gone viral!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! See how much further positivity goes?! I wish more people understood that. But for those of us that do, what a POWERFUL life we live!! Anytime you need a bit of inspiration, motivation or a reminder that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, you let me know!!!! :) 

Here's a piece from my favorite motivational station on Spotify to end your week right (I also attached the full version, in case you wanted to hear it!): 

"The Oath of Champions" - By Fearless Motivation

In sound body and mind I make this oath. The oath of kings. The oath of kings and champions.

I declare I am not perfect.

I trust there will be challenges to surmount, and I swear on the graves of all that have passed before me, and the power of this universe…I will fight through the challenges with all my soul, all my spirit, all the strength I have inside me.

I swear I will outwork any and all human beings that come before me. With all respect to those that have tried before me, they have NEVER tried as hard as me. They do not have my heart.

They do not have my spirit – the spirit of kings and champions that bleeds through my bones!
They do not have my heart. My courage.
They are not blessed with my unrelenting effort.
The effort that NEVER says that’s enough.
The effort that knows no pain.

I swear to be strong in hard times.
I swear to persist when others give up.
I affirm to remain hungry long after I reach the top.

I affirm I will never settle. NEVER SETTLE. I affirm once again I WILL NEVER SETTLE!

This is MY dream, and I don’t really care if nobody else believes in me. I believe in me!

I affirm my effort will always be switched on.
Nobody can take that from me!

I swear my belief will remain strong at all times.
Never will I stray from my goals.
Never will I create a plan B.
My plan A is the only plan.

And that plan is the one I am going after with all my soul!

This is my oath. 

Full recording below:

https://www.fearlessmotivation.com/2015/07/30/the-...

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

@Melanie Hartmann I just wanted to check in and see how things were going! Girl, you've gone viral!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! See how much further positivity goes?! I wish more people understood that. But for those of us that do, what a POWERFUL life we live!! Anytime you need a bit of inspiration, motivation or a reminder that ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, you let me know!!!! :) 

Here's a piece from my favorite motivational station on Spotify to end your week right (I also attached the full version, in case you wanted to hear it!): 

"The Oath of Champions" - By Fearless Motivation

In sound body and mind I make this oath. The oath of kings. The oath of kings and champions.

I declare I am not perfect.

I trust there will be challenges to surmount, and I swear on the graves of all that have passed before me, and the power of this universe…I will fight through the challenges with all my soul, all my spirit, all the strength I have inside me.

I swear I will outwork any and all human beings that come before me. With all respect to those that have tried before me, they have NEVER tried as hard as me. They do not have my heart.

They do not have my spirit – the spirit of kings and champions that bleeds through my bones!
They do not have my heart. My courage.
They are not blessed with my unrelenting effort.
The effort that NEVER says that’s enough.
The effort that knows no pain.

I swear to be strong in hard times.
I swear to persist when others give up.
I affirm to remain hungry long after I reach the top.

I affirm I will never settle. NEVER SETTLE. I affirm once again I WILL NEVER SETTLE!

This is MY dream, and I don’t really care if nobody else believes in me. I believe in me!

I affirm my effort will always be switched on.
Nobody can take that from me!

I swear my belief will remain strong at all times.
Never will I stray from my goals.
Never will I create a plan B.
My plan A is the only plan.

And that plan is the one I am going after with all my soul!

This is my oath. 

Full recording below:

https://www.fearlessmotivation.com/2015/07/30/the-...

Thank you Charity! It truly is amazing what you can do when you believe in yourself and only surround yourself with people who want to see you grow. My self-doubts and feelings of "this is crazy girl! what ARE you doing?" Get smaller and shorter EVERY single day. I am living my best life. It's not the life for most. So what? 

You will never know your full potential unless you push yourself and get out there! Why are people throwing shade my way - people in my actual life? My decision has little to no direct impact on them. Yea, my leaving my job - they'll have to fill that position. Guess what?? They already did! No big deal. At the end of the day, to them I'm just a warm body with a degree, there are more where I came from. But seriously, for those that it has no direct impact on at all... I'm guessing they are jealous? I don't know. 

It's nice to see those who are genuine though. My circle gets smaller and smaller every year. I started "breaking the rules" and, as I result, I've been going down this insane path of personal fulfillment and joy. Quality over quantity. Though, I have a feeling my circle is about to get pretty large over the next few years but this time around it will be full of quality people. From now on, that's all I'm accepting and that's all I'm spreading. Just about everyone I know is miserable. Talking about people in my own life, I'm not taking my advice from miserable people any more. I don't want to be like you or live like you why should I take your advice just so I can continue living and being miserable like you? I am not better than you. We both know this. I'm simply choosing a different path. If you like yours (which we both know you don't), then that's fine, that's your life and your decision. Now, I'm going to get on with mine. 

I look forward to listening to this speech. Just about every single one I hear makes my cry a little. What... is... that...? Is that... joy? Oh yea, are those feelings...?? Hello! What? I get to have them again now that I'm completely off of the anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medication I was taking just so I could keep going to that old job of mine. Now I get to drop the 30+ lbs I gained this past year due to the medication and stress of that job and fit back into my clothes again. What?  I can live and breath and no longer walk around numb? What?  And so many other things that are just too personal to write here, haha! No more! Smiles galore! :D

Originally posted by @Account Closed :

Call me CRAZY but shouldnt the emphasis be placed on having something to sell?

No, the emphasis should be on having your mind right. If ALL you are doing is focusing on selling and your mind isn't right you will fail. You will have nothing to get you through the tough times and you will quit as soon as it gets "too hard." Your focus will be on "Why isn't this working?" You will tell yourself because you can't do it and you should quit. Instead you need to ask questions like, "How do I make this work?" and you will find solutions and get better. Your thoughts dictate your actions. If you have "crappy" thoughts, you will have "crappy" actions. Maybe that master's degree in psychology wasn't a loss after all... bwahaha, jk. 

Social psychology is where it's at y'all. Every rich and wealthy person in the world today knows this. That's why all the big bucks go into figuring out spending habits and marketing to them, etc. etc. They want to predict the "why" and the "when" so that they can profit off of it. Plain and simple. What? I know... mind blown. haha, no not really. 

But in all seriousness. Get your mind right, get your thoughts right, stick to your plan, focus on it and act on it ALWAYS. What is your potential? Have you found it? Are you trying? Go get after it already! It's there waiting for you. It will be there waiting for you until the day you die because it's truly limitless. Only you allow caps to be placed on it. Only you make excuses for why you can't be better. Why you can't live the life you want. That's all you. If you want greatness you have to be great. 

Originally posted by @Lupe Hernandez:

Call me CRAZY but shouldnt the emphasis be placed on having something to sell?

No, the emphasis should be on having your mind right. If ALL you are doing is focusing on selling and your mind isn't right you will fail. You will have nothing to get you through the tough times and you will quit as soon as it gets "too hard." Your focus will be on "Why isn't this working?" You will tell yourself because you can't do it and you should quit. Instead you need to ask questions like, "How do I make this work?" and you will find solutions and get better. Your thoughts dictate your actions. If you have "crappy" thoughts, you will have "crappy" actions. Maybe that master's degree in psychology wasn't a loss after all... bwahaha, jk. 

Social psychology is where it's at y'all. Every rich and wealthy person in the world today knows this. That's why all the big bucks go into figuring out spending habits and marketing to them, etc. etc. They want to predict the "why" and the "when" so that they can profit off of it. Plain and simple. What? I know... mind blown. haha, no not really. 

But in all seriousness. Get your mind right, get your thoughts right, stick to your plan, focus on it and act on it ALWAYS. What is your potential? Have you found it? Are you trying? Go get after it already! It's there waiting for you. It will be there waiting for you until the day you die because it's truly limitless. Only you allow caps to be placed on it. Only you make excuses for why you can't be better. Why you can't live the life you want. That's all you. If you want greatness you have to be great. 

well you will come to understand that degree in Psychology wont be worth much working with burnt out landlords and other distressed asset owners.. its a culture unto its own . there is no schooling or training for this .

@Melanie Hartmann , be careful of spending too much money initially. You should focus your energy on getting leads and closing deals. Whether wholesaling a deal, fix and flip, BRRR or buy/hold, whatever strategy you chose, focus on how to find great leads and how to close (attorney, partners, contractors, private investors & big $ buyers). This is all I believe you will need for the next couple of months! LLCs are great and fancy business plan ( I surely love them too as they make you look more professional, at least to you!); however, finding deals is the bane of real estate investment and also the key to its prosperity. I found my first 2 leads just driving for $$$ in a neighborhood I never paid attention to for so many years. After closing on one or two of these early leads, this will be a great motivation to keep going strong. Then I can focus on website generating leads. Finding this early leads with fuel your energy that "IT IS POSSIBLE".

I trust you will work hard and smart to make it happen for you. You got this and I wish you success!