Quit My Job and Plan to Wholesale

537 Replies

Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann :
Originally posted by @Hasan Miller:

@Melanie Hartmann good for you. I don’t think you owe anyone a explanation. I’m pretty sure you and your husband thought this out. I can’t see you just quoting your job with children while never really thinking things out. Most people will criticize you for the faith that they don’t possess. I pray all goes well.

God bless you.

Thank you Hasan! I did have a general idea but not a solid plan. However, I would NOT recommend to anyone else that they leave a steady job to do this until they've closed a few deals first and have more in the pipeline. 

There are a lot of gurus out there showing off big checks. They often provide just enough information for it to "make sense" but not enough to actually help. It is not fun getting started when your main focus is, "How will the bills get paid after our savings runs out?" 

I too would be and am a Naysayer of what I did. That being said, I do NOT regret that decision as its led me to where I am today and where I'll be heading tomorrow.

@Jerryll Noorden - I'll be SEOing straight to the top! Am I right, or am I right?!?

Not just SEO'ing. Aren't you closing on several deals soon? Look how far you have come my silly lil greenhopper... or was it grasflocker?!

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden :
Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
Originally posted by @Hasan Miller:

@Melanie Hartmann good for you. I don’t think you owe anyone a explanation. I’m pretty sure you and your husband thought this out. I can’t see you just quoting your job with children while never really thinking things out. Most people will criticize you for the faith that they don’t possess. I pray all goes well.

God bless you.

Thank you Hasan! I did have a general idea but not a solid plan. However, I would NOT recommend to anyone else that they leave a steady job to do this until they've closed a few deals first and have more in the pipeline. 

There are a lot of gurus out there showing off big checks. They often provide just enough information for it to "make sense" but not enough to actually help. It is not fun getting started when your main focus is, "How will the bills get paid after our savings runs out?" 

I too would be and am a Naysayer of what I did. That being said, I do NOT regret that decision as its led me to where I am today and where I'll be heading tomorrow.

@Jerryll Noorden - I'll be SEOing straight to the top! Am I right, or am I right?!?

Not just SEO'ing. Aren't you closing on several deals soon? Look how far you have come my silly lil greenhopper... or was it grasflocker?!

haha, true story. 3 closings next month or the month after - just got word one of the title companies is terribly slow... won't be using them again if they ruin this one or make it more difficult. So many people use/prefer them too... such a shame and I don't understand why. Anyway...

I received another signed contract in my inbox today and a few more sellers we are actively in negotiations with, with many more in the pipeline. I think it may be time to invest in a wall board for our deals now!

2 of the deals we are closing - our first contact with those owners was over 10 months ago. So FOLLOW-UP - you may just be closing on their property a year after first contact! And who are they going to trust when they are finally ready to sell? Random Joe Shmo they've only spoken to once, or the lovely person who has met with them and checks-in periodically to see how things are going? You already know the answer to that one

I can't wait to rank #1 on Google next year and dominate our market!

Originally posted by @Trenton Thorne Jr :

@Melanie Hartmann

Congrats and I say go for the gusto!!! Just Curious tho if you have a year worth of savings and your husband can cover the expenses why not take your money and just get a property try your hands with the brrr strategy???

Excellent question! I had been actively looking to purchase a rental property for almost a year before I decided to leave my career. However, I never found one that fit my criteria (yes, I was being very picky). Eventually, I discovered the idea of acquiring off-market properties and how to market to sellers who may be interested in selling below market value in exchange for speed and convenience. After that discovery, I decided to jump in full-time. In this most recent fiscal year, I made comparable to the amount I made in the last year of my career (worked way harder though). However, since we've invested most of our profits back into the business we have a lot more growing planned for 2020!

Happy New Year! 

As an update, it took me quite a while to know very little about this wholesaling business to close my first deal (almost 6 months to the day) and several more months after that until things became more consistent.

We're now averaging 1 to 2 wholesale deals a month these past few months primarily from cold-calling. Most of these are closing from follow-ups. We're onto our second investment property and I can tell you, it's not going well. I'm having to fire the contractor and essentially start over from scratch. We're right in the middle of trying to correct course and see if that's even possible because in all likelihood the prior contractor provided completely bogus numbers. 

Hopefully by this week we'll have a better idea of what reasonable next steps are but flipping is a risk for sure. I'm writing about it in our house-flipping blog. This blog can be found on my profile but it will be further detailing my journey of building a house-buying company and how I've grown along the way. 

I can hands down say I am NOT the same person I was when I posted the first post of this forum. It has taken a lot of growing to overcome the fear and obstacles that come with doing something as crazy as leaving a relatively steady career to being self-employed and doing something you've never done before.

Even with the major headache and heartache I currently find myself in, I do not regret it as a whole. It has been the single greatest decision I have ever made. I'm just bracing myself for worst case scenario until I get some real numbers and plans in place. 

Thankfully, I've usually been able to quickly weed out the bad and surround myself with good people but occasionally one still slips in, such as the last contractor I hired for my current flip project.

It's not all fun and games, but it's certainly worth the ride!

Wait, what? Yes, my friends and naysayers, look who's got an article published about her and her journey into building a company that buys houses in Baltimore, MD on Medium.com! This gal right here. 

@Jerryll Noorden - thank you for seeing the potential in me over a year ago (when so many others didn't) and encouraging it to grow and grow. Looking forward to watching both of our businesses grow and using those profits to do good in the world. Let's get it!

P.S. Who's website is ranking on Page 1 and 2 of Google for hot keywords in her market? This gal! Don't believe me, go ahead and search the following "We Buy Houses Maryland" (page 1) and "We Buy Houses Baltimore" (page 2). Yes, it bounces, so it might be the top of page 2 or the top of page 3, but we're there! And Once I hit the #1 spot there will be no stopping me!

Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann :

Wait, what? Yes, my friends and naysayers, look who's got an article published about her and her journey into building a company that buys houses in Baltimore, MD on Medium.com! This gal right here. 

@Jerryll Noorden - thank you for seeing the potential in me over a year ago (when so many others didn't) and encouraging it to grow and grow. Looking forward to watching both of our businesses grow and using those profits to do good in the world. Let's get it!

P.S. Who's website is ranking on Page 1 and 2 of Google for hot keywords in her market? This gal! Don't believe me, go ahead and search the following "We Buy Houses Maryland" (page 1) and "We Buy Houses Baltimore" (page 2). Yes, it bounces, so it might be the top of page 2 or the top of page 3, but we're there! And Once I hit the #1 spot there will be no stopping me!

And you deserve it.

You have been following my every instruction to the T. Soon you will be at #1. Then the fun starts happening!

Then you build a solid team. Hire people and watch the money flow in!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here