Quit My Job and Plan to Wholesale

537 Replies

Originally posted by :

After closing on one or two of these early leads, this will be a great motivation to keep going strong. Then I can focus on website generating leads. Finding this early leads with fuel your energy that "IT IS POSSIBLE".

I trust you will work hard and smart to make it happen for you. You got this and I wish you success!

Your logic is in the right place but I have to say it is not 100% the smartest thing to leave your website till only you make deals.

Don't go cray "perfecting" your website, no. Make it credible enough. But by ALL means work on SEO IMMEDIATELY and make this a daily chore from the absolute start and never EVER slack. It takes time... a lot of time to rank a site and you want this to rank ASAP so you can avoid having to pay for leads or worse.. yup.. driving for $$$ for leads. That is an absolute waste of time. Your time driving for $$$ is WAY better used to analyze deals, makie offers and get contracts signed.

Never sacrifice SEO time for "anything" . ADD said "anything" TO your SEO time. Take it from someone that knows the direct benefits from a ranking site!

SEO is investing in your company's future.

Driving for dollars, bandit signs and all such mediocre ways of getting leads are focused on getting a lead NOW without it contributing to continuous in coming leads.

What would you rather have, a deal now and then who knows where or when the next one is coming in, or, work now and set up your business infrastructure and in a 5 to 12 months have continuous flow of leads coming in on automatic... WHILE right now you ALSO focus on getting leads via DDM, PPC (any ways where your website is still reeling in leads by driving traffic to your site).

The latter will get you deals right now, and the second your site is harvesting leads, you can eliminate DMM or PP (if you wanted) and never have to pay for a lead again.

It is like you said... all about smart efficient working your business.

@Jerryll Noorden what are your thoughts on car decals/bumper stickers to generate leads? I went ahead and ordered some - don't know if it's cheesy. Though I figured, at least initially, it might help grab some leads while I'm also out driving for dollars here and there. 

p.s. I'm working on SEO every single day. It's slow going but I'm working it and applying what I learn consistently and constantly. It's amazing the information that is out there!

Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann :

@Jerryll Noorden what are your thoughts on car decals/bumper stickers to generate leads? I went ahead and ordered some - don't know if it's cheesy. Though I figured, at least initially, it might help grab some leads while I'm also out driving for dollars here and there. 

p.s. I'm working on SEO every single day. It's slow going but I'm working it and applying what I learn consistently and constantly. It's amazing the information that is out there!

I started doing car magnets. I didn't care what people thought of me and I needed to make this work. However I never got a deal from it and I am not surprised. It makes you look even more desperate than bandit signs... but again.. who cares as long as you get a lead from it right?

Here is what I think

If you have a beat up POS car like I do, that sign will not help you.

You just are hurting your credibility.

If you have a nice fancy car or decent looking clean car, it may be better. If so, make your sign nice. I don't think that yellow sign with we buy houses  is a good idea. Make it look like you are an actual business. Something like the logo you have now, is good I think as long as you somehow make it clear you buy houses in cash.

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden :
Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:

I started doing car magnets. I didn't care what people thought of me and I needed to make this work. However I never got a deal from it and I am not surprised. It makes you look even more desperate than bandit signs... but again.. who cares as long as you get a lead from it right?

Here is what I think

If you have a nice fancy car or decent looking clean car, it may be better. If so, make your sign nice. I don't think that yellow sign with we buy houses  is a good idea. Make it look like you are an actual business. Something like the logo you have now, is good I think as long as you somehow make it clear you buy houses in cash.

My car isn't show-worthy and has a bit of wear and tear - it's probably at borderline status as to whether it is ad worthy. However, it's color is a nice base for my ad/logo colors - midnight blue-ish but lighter. I believe the ads/decals are coming Friday. My car is gonna look pretty cheesy! No shame here! (ok, well maybe a little, haha).

Here is what I think

when I bought pre foreclsoures when it was legal in Portland market.   I paid for full car wrap for my three teams.  I had 3 full time teams of door knockers.. that's how you make money in this business.. belly to belly.. but they got deals from those. cost me maybe 2k per car. 

Originally posted by :

After closing on one or two of these early leads, this will be a great motivation to keep going strong. Then I can focus on website generating leads. Finding this early leads with fuel your energy that "IT IS POSSIBLE".

I trust you will work hard and smart to make it happen for you. You got this and I wish you success!

Your logic is in the right place but I have to say it is not 100% the smartest thing to leave your website till only you make deals.

Don't go cray "perfecting" your website, no. Make it credible enough. But by ALL means work on SEO IMMEDIATELY and make this a daily chore from the absolute start and never EVER slack. It takes time... a lot of time to rank a site and you want this to rank ASAP so you can avoid having to pay for leads or worse.. yup.. driving for $$$ for leads. That is an absolute waste of time. Your time driving for $$$ is WAY better used to analyze deals, makie offers and get contracts signed.

Never sacrifice SEO time for "anything" . ADD said "anything" TO your SEO time. Take it from someone that knows the direct benefits from a ranking site!

Driving for dollars, bandit signs and all such mediocre ways of getting leads are focused on getting a lead NOW without it contributing to continuous in coming leads.

What would you rather have, a deal now and then who knows where or when the next one is coming in, or, work now and set up your business infrastructure and in a 5 to 12 months have continuous flow of leads coming in on automatic... WHILE right now you ALSO focus on getting leads via DDM, PPC (any ways where your website is still reeling in leads by driving traffic to your site).

The latter will get you deals right now, and the second your site is harvesting leads, you can eliminate DMM or PP (if you wanted) and never have to pay for a lead again.

Jerryll this is a stupid question so bare with me.. what is SEO and how do you optimize it and why would you.. what does that do for you.???  as one who has never had to advertise in the last 20 years .. and when I did it was an add in the paper with an 800 number.. 

what is this all about.. ???? how can you do it yourself.. I take it  its some sort of computer something..   ??? 

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :
Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:
Originally posted by :

Jerryll this is a stupid question so bare with me.. what is SEO and how do you optimize it and why would you.. what does that do for you.???  as one who has never had to advertise in the last 20 years .. and when I did it was an add in the paper with an 800 number.. 

what is this all about.. ???? how can you do it yourself.. I take it  its some sort of computer something..   ??? 

I really wish BP would add in "likes" or "laughs" similar to Facebook. Jay, it's not a stupid question. I barely knew anything about it 3 weeks ago - I knew of it but what it actually entailed or what it was called... nope!

To put it simply, SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and is essentially the "behind-the-scenes" set-up typically necessary to get your brand, presence, websites, etc. ranking high on google, etc. You want to be the highest ranking on google, etc. so that you, your product, or your service can be easily found by the masses and be the first place they click when looking for the types of products or services you offer.

For example, if I had an ice cream shoppe in Portland. I would bust my butt to make sure that when someone searched for something like "best ice cream in portland" that my brand/business would be #1 so they'd find my business and visit my shoppe or buy my ice cream that I sell online over that of my competitors.

It just takes a lot of work - I'm on a huge learning curve ATM and it often takes a long time to see results. Typically 6-12 months. As everything has to "season," like a good cast iron pot. However, in my case, it will be 4 months, if I can figure out how to do it right WHILE also securing deals on the side, haha. I see why so many hire this crap out. I could use many more hands on deck!

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
Originally posted by :

I really wish BP would ad in "likes" or "laughs" similar to Facebook. Jay, it's not a stupid question. I barely knew anything about it 3 weeks ago - I knew of it but what it actually entailed or what it was called... nope!

To put it simply, SEO stands for Search Engine Optimization and is essentially the "behind-the-scenes" set-up typically necessary to get your brand, presence, websites, etc. ranking high on google, etc. You want to be the highest ranking on google, etc. so that you, your product, or your service can be easily found by the masses and be the first place they click when looking for the types of products or services you offer.

For example, if I had an ice cream shoppe in Portland. I would bust my butt to make sure that when someone searched for something like "best ice cream place in portland" that my brand/business would be #1 so they'd find my business and visit my shoppe or buy my ice cream that I sell online over that of my competitors.

It just takes a lot of work - I'm on a huge learning curve ATM and it often takes a long-time. Typically 6-12 months before you start seeing results. As everything has to "season," like a good cast iron pot. 

ah I get it that's what they mean when they say first page organically right.. not the paid adds.. that are the top of the page. ??

I know I can google my name and I am already SEO optimized as I come up on the front page.. LOL.. so I guess I am already there without even trying..  keep at it.. !!!  but I ask because I am doing my first website ever.. and I would like that to be seen by folks.. not necessarily to market but for business creds 

Originally posted by :

I really wish BP would ad in "likes" or "laughs" similar to Facebook. Jay, it's not a stupid question. I barely knew anything about it 3 weeks ago - I knew of it but what it actually entailed or what it was called... nope!

For example, if I had an ice cream shoppe in Portland. I would bust my butt to make sure that when someone searched for something like "best ice cream place in portland" that my brand/business would be #1 so they'd find my business and visit my shoppe or buy my ice cream that I sell online over that of my competitors.

It just takes a lot of work - I'm on a huge learning curve ATM and it often takes a long-time. Typically 6-12 months before you start seeing results. As everything has to "season," like a good cast iron pot. 

ah I get it that's what they mean when they say first page organically right.. not the paid adds.. that are the top of the page. ??

I know I can google my name and I am already SEO optimized as I come up on the front page.. LOL.. so I guess I am already there without even trying..  keep at it.. !!!  but I ask because I am doing my first website ever.. and I would like that to be seen by folks.. not necessarily to market but for business creds 

Exactly! SEO gets you on top organically so that eventually you can stop paying for so much dang marketing and get that "free" business coming in. Plus, people are much more likely to click those "organic" links than the sponsored ones anyway. So it's really in your best interest to be ranked organically - you have a major advantage over your paying competitors. 

*Disclaimer: from a person who really doesn't know much about what they are talking* For you Jay, I'd say find a highly qualified person and pay them to do all that SEOing for you! Just make sure the person isn't garbage or using only old techniques. The algorithms are changing rather frequently so you need someone who keeps up with current patterns and is forward thinking to leave things open and ready for future changes. Heck, you might not even need all that much if you can get your website talking to everything you have already ranking. *Again, I really don't know much about which I speak regarding SEO*

Originally posted by :

Exactly! SEO gets you on top organically so that you eventually can stop paying for so much dang marketing and get that "free" business coming in.

*Disclaimer: from a person who really doesn't know much about what they are talking* For you Jay, I'd say find a highly qualified person and pay them to do all that SEOing for you! Just make sure the person isn't garbage or using only old techniques. The algorithms are changing rather frequently so you need someone who keeps up with current patterns and is forward thinking to leave things open and ready for future changes. Heck, you might not even need all that much if you can get your website talking to everything you have already ranking. *Again, I really don't know much about which I speak regarding SEO*

ya on a personal level I am already there.. its when I create this website that I need to Hire Jerryll the SEO whisperer to make sure it get up there quickly.. 

@Melanie Hartmann I would work as a substitute teacher while tryin got start a wholesaling career. At least you will have some income coming in and flexivity with the days you work which will increase your chances of your new career being a success.
Originally posted by :

Hey man.

So unlike what the mortals THINK SEO stands for... "Search Engine Optimization"... it ACTUALLY stands for Seriously Evil Ostriches! Potverdomme nog aan toe people!!  get it right people. SEO does not stand for Search Engine Optimization!! Sheesh

This is what the Googles unleashes upon you if you mess with the big G.

So here is how you understand SEO.

Google doesnt care a flying pigs tail about us... website owners. NOT a dang thing. Infact Google hates us, and doesnt trust us one bit. Can you blame G? We all know that ranking #1 gets you most of the customers. So what do people do? They trick google to place them #1.

How?

Well.. you have to first realize that goolge is a code. It is an algorithm that scans your site and analyses it with their own set of rules to see what the website is about. Again it is just a code. It is not people that scan the website and evaluate it.

Well back in the day when Google was a moron (code was primitive), people would stuff "We Buy Houses In Connecticut" a trillion times on their website. The code would detect that the words "we buy houses in CT" would pop up many times on their website .. ohh so their website must be about house buying in CT so I will rank them high in case anyone looks for house buying or selling in CT.

Now, as the years went by, Google realizes all the shady tricks people try to pull on G to manipulate their ranks. And now they update their code to detect all those tricks.  This is in the form of "Google Updates".. Panda, Penguin etc etc. And this is why people panic desperately when google releases an update. 

Keep in mind.. if a human was checking websites no one would be able to manipulate the ranks because humans.. well just a few of you all at least... are smart... the code is not (yet). So with every update... google strives to be more "human-like" so they catch the rank manipulators. 

So what is Google's job? They suck up to internet users. That is ALL!!! The happier internet users are, the more they will use Google to search the webbles, and thus the more morons like us with websites will beg Google to put our sites high and google can then charge us a poopload of money for ads and such.

So it is their job to bring forth the ULTIMATE best site relative to the search query a user inputs into the search engine. Just so that the surfer is happy, and will continue using Google for searches.

Here is the trick ...

As everyone keeps researching how to do these google manipulations better.. without being detected by the google code... I completely bypass google. Google wants to please their traffic and pick the website that best does so. We try to please google so google picks us.

So Google is the middle guy. Google is just a filter between the user and your site making sure the user only sees great websites.

So if you completely bypass google (i.e. I don't care about cutations, backlinks etc. etc)  you please the user immediately and thus the user will be happy, they buy from you, which in turn makes google super happy and they will... ready for it?.. TRUST you. That means high rankings.

Ever seen a much stronger site with a TON more backlinks rank second to a lesser authoritative site with fewer backlinks? Google trusts that "weaker" site more! ;)

SO now your question as to WHY 

Consider this.

You have a bakery. A physical store front bakery. Where would you place your store? In NYC smack in the middle of main street.. or in some hillbilly little town like Poopsiquisheepee in the corn fields of Idaho where people chase squirrels for breakfast.

Smack in the middle on a busy street of course. That is what SEO is. ranking on the 3 page of google means you have your store in the cornfields in mountyvill in the mountains somewhere... and if you are #1 result on the first page.. you are in Manhattan, on those HUGE  billboards flashing your business for everyone to see.

Now. the difference is real boi. Consider this... for a physical store you only target people in your area. People are not going to drive 3 hours to buy a bagel from you. Internet however... like an ecommerce store (And instead of REI I should have done that gaaadamn it I would be laughing at all of you with my 15 million bish slapping the help....) you target the entire PLANET to buy from you. Well.. what ever part of the panet you wish to target.

The good thing is that no one realizes this.. (yet) and people like me.. the gorgeous hairy a bit stinky sexy ones... are now on top of the internet world because no one challenges me. But if you do not jump on this bandwagon now.. ohh boy you will regret it sooner than later. 

The reason you come u when you google your name is not because it is optimized. It simply is because there are not many with your name that have a presence on line. You do.

Consider this.. if I hv a bike store.. and I sell bikes... doing a google search for "Bike" will NO WAY get you near the first page. Too many "nike" presence online. Everyone posts pics of their bike, bike store, bike blogs yada yada yada..

BUT if you sold blue polkadot bikes with pink ribbons that smelled like fish with a dragon tooth glued to the seat.... guess what.. chances are you re the only (Weirdo) that sells these and google has no choice to display your site because you re the only site available TO display containing that monstrosity.

This concludes your first SEO lesson!

I want a ticket to Thailand to poke some...coconuts! 

Congratulations Melanie!  Your first deal can happen really fast.  Ours did, and I know a lot of people who had the same experience.  You just have to do a lot of marketing, whether it's postcards or driving for dollars or whatever you choose to start with.  Good luck!

Originally posted by @Amy Beth :
@Melanie Hartmann I would work as a substitute teacher while tryin got start a wholesaling career. At least you will have some income coming in and flexivity with the days you work which will increase your chances of your new career being a success.

I'm not certified to teach - not sure if I could be a substitute teacher. My training is in school psychology. I also am just not a teacher - personally, teaching is not for me. So being a substitute teacher would be MISERABLE for me. That is a terribly hard job - at least where I worked. No, thank you. That's just... no, I can't, haha. Thank you for the tip though. 

For me, personally, I'm so very happy I choose to leave my career. I've been able to fast-track getting in to this and not have to worry about something taking away from it. I work it, breathe it, and live it every possible second of the day. You should see the state of the house - it's not pretty at the moment. But we've got clean dishes and clothes (as needed) everything else can wait. I've built up a large savings, in addition, I have funds for advertising and getting started, and my fiance is now making enough to cover the majority (if not all) of our expenses. He was part-time before. So, we're good. 

Today, I went to drop off my "school" things and materials to the main ed dept building and I visited the 2 schools I worked at last year to drop some things off and say good-bye. It was nice to see some folks and a bit bittersweet. It was also incredibly amazing to not have to see some other folks again! Like, girl - you gonna not say anything to me all last year, now you are gonna try and run when you see me visiting, but get caught and say, "hi." BYE! I'm done-and-done. No regrets, so happy not to go back. I'm literally crying tears of joy every single day. And I'm working on deals as we speak. I've got to pull a trigger and get them under contract but I'm actively working on deals RIGHT NOW. I'm not even 3 weeks in. I got this girl!

My pens came today! I gave a few to my son and said, I don't even care if you "lose" these. He's like, "really?" Nope, that's the point. Spread em around son-son! They write beautifully and came out really well for a first attempt/first printing. I'm super impressed! I also made a cutesy animated "clay" video for my FB ads, and some other places. Got car decals and all the rest of the first round of advertising coming on Friday. Would I have time to get into marketing with a part-time job and everything else I've got going on right now? No, ma'am I would not. I don't do things poorly. I couldn't just "phone it in" on a part-time job. I'm all in or I'm out and I couldn't be all in on any other job than what I have going on right now.

I've burned the boats and I can't go back - I mean, I think I could actually get my job back with the same district, if I wanted it but for now, I'm good. Sorry for poor pic quality - I got better things to do, haha. Love these pens though! I'd probably change a few things on these next time around - but I'm learning. :)

Originally posted by @Tricia McMasters :

Congratulations Melanie!  Your first deal can happen really fast.  Ours did, and I know a lot of people who had the same experience.  You just have to do a lot of marketing, whether it's postcards or driving for dollars or whatever you choose to start with.  Good luck!

Thank you Tricia! I'm beyond excited to get up and start everyday. I literally wake-up in the middle of the night and work on this. Oh, right, I can take a nap during the day if I need/have to as I don't have a "day job" anymore. I no longer stress about not getting sleep at night, because "oh, wait, I don't have a day job anymore." I can work where and whenever I want (which is currently everywhere, all the time). I know this will get old eventually. I know this, haha. But until I've got my stuff in order and can begin outsourcing - I'm a one-woman show over here. My "why" is not just to make money. If that was the case, I would already be dying from this, haha.

Originally posted by :

Jay, SEO is what helps your website appear at the top of search engine results. Google, Bing, Yahoo, etc. and in this context when someone types in stuff like "need cash buyer for my home" your website info might appear depending on where the search was initiated. 

Odds are the "cash buyer" at the end of that search has no cash.

Don't worry, not dealing with SEO won't affect your business at all. SEO is a lead generation tool. For people who have enough deals to analyze already... no need.

Originally posted by @Tom Gimer :

Don't worry, not dealing with SEO won't affect your business at all. SEO is a lead generation tool. For people who have enough deals to analyze already... no need.

That is very very VERRRY wrong!

The flaw here is thinking that (your) SEO only has to do with you and nothing and noone else.

If you have competitors no matter what your business is, not doing SEO will cost you. SEO is not just to get on top of google search results. SEO gives the (false) illusion of credibility.

When you do a search for something you automatically assume the first organic result IS actually a trusty site .."why else are they on top of Google". This is NOT the correct assumption but it is a fact that people think that.

Not doing SEO while your competitor does will get you out of business eventually, because the leads that you are getting now without SEO will sooner than later ONLY see your competitor, on top of google with "thus" more credibility.

It is dangerous saying stuff like that in the open and I hope no one takes that advise seriously because it will be the end of them!

How are you getting your leads btw? You pay for them I assume.. DMM, PPC Ads?

You having enough leads so you do not need SEO...  well.. if those leads stop coming in because your competitor ramped up their SEO... what then?

Take a look at my competitors traffic:

Before I came along they were fine. Since I came along their organic traffic pretty much stopped dead! Now they have to do paid marketing to get leads. Yet I am still more credible than they are and people chose me. Now they cant keep their marketing budget.. and as you can see  at "september" they are now desperately trying to do organic SEO because it looks they cant afford spending the money.

So what do I do?

I look at every city they invest in and take their market away from thm. I will completely destroy them till they go bankrupt. It is brutal out there but that is the way it goes. If you are the top dog, eventually someone will overtake you. You have to be sure you are the ONLY dog out there!

Lucky for all of you, your competitors have not yet figured this out... in CT however.. they are poop out of luck because I do not play around!

Originally posted by @Tom Gimer:

The flaw here is thinking that (your) SEO only has to do with you and nothing and noone else.

If you have competitors no matter what your business is, not doing SEO will cost you. SEO is not just to get on top of google search results. SEO gives the (false) illusion of credibility.

When you do a search for something you automatically assume the first organic result IS actually a trusty site .."why else are they on top of Google". This is NOT the correct assumption but it is a fact that people think that.

Not doing SEO while your competitor does will get you out of business eventually, because the leads that you are getting now without SEO will sooner than later ONLY see your competitor, on top of google with "thus" more credibility.

I do not mean offense to the following but statements like you have made makes it clear you absolutely do not understand  SEO and the reasons/benefits importance for SEO.

It is dangerous saying stuff like that in the open and I hope no one takes that advise seriously because it will be the end of them!

You having enough leads so you do not need SEO...  well.. if those leads stop coming in because your competitor ramped up their SEO... what then?

I replied to Jay. 

He doesn't need SEO. Trust me. 

Originally posted by @Tom Gimer :

I do not mean offense to the following but statements like you have made makes it clear you absolutely do not understand  SEO and the reasons/benefits importance for SEO.

I replied to Jay. 

He doesn't need SEO. Trust me. 

OK if you know something I don't... My apologies.

Before I came along they were fine. Since I came along their organic traffic pretty much stopped dead! Now they have to do paid marketing to get leads. Yet I am still more credible than they are and people chose me. Now they cant keep their marketing budget.. and as you can see  at "september" they are now desperately trying to do organic SEO because it looks they cant afford spending the money.

So what do I do?

I look at every city they invest in and take their market away from thm. I will completely destroy them till they go bankrupt. It is brutal out there but that is the way it goes. If you are the top dog, eventually someone will overtake you. You have to be sure you are the ONLY dog out there!

Lucky for all of you, your competitors have not yet figured this out... in CT however.. they are poop out of luck because I do not play around!

Thanks Tom.   JErryl I only ask because when my website launchs I do want someone to see it. .. but  I have never had one and I do over 40 million a year in real estate so I guess you can say I create my own deals..  But when I do launch my new website its purpose from my end is simply I guess more of a brag piece more than anything.. we have built some pretty cool housing tracks and some super neato Period homes in Charleston and moderns in Portland that I  would like to showcase.. and other land developments we are doing and have an interest in.. that look great from google maps I love google maps. 

I think though I can get google to play.. they invited me down and I made a presentation at their campus  LOL.. so I have some pretty good connections there.. 

Anyway I get it now .. and if I was a Realtor or a PHO realtor ( ie wholesaler) I would sure want this to drive leads over paying 10k a month for direct mail.. 

So what do I do?

Thanks Tom.   JErryl I only ask because when my website launchs I do want someone to see it. .. but  I have never had one and I do over 40 million a year in real estate so I guess you can say I create my own deals..  But when I do launch my new website its purpose from my end is simply I guess more of a brag piece more than anything.. we have built some pretty cool housing tracks and some super neato Period homes in Charleston and moderns in Portland that I  would like to showcase.. and other land developments we are doing and have an interest in.. that look great from google maps I love google maps. 

I think though I can get google to play.. they invited me down and I made a presentation at their campus  LOL.. so I have some pretty good connections there.. 

Anyway I get it now .. and if I was a Realtor or a PHO realtor ( ie wholesaler) I would sure want this to drive leads over paying 10k a month for direct mail.. 

I see. Tom my apologies. I assumed you were replying in general. If you do 40M a year, dude, I want my 1M for being your friend! You think my friendship is free?

Pffft!

When you are ready to launge give me the URL. I can help you with some SEO Magic!

wait.. Google invited you to their campus?

WTH man. SO unfair!

So what do I do?

I see. Tom my apologies. I assumed you were replying in general. If you do 40M a year, dude, I want my 1M for being your friend! You think my friendship is free?

Pffft!

When you are ready to launge give me the URL. I can help you with some SEO Magic!

wait.. Google invited you to their campus?

WTH man. SO unfair!

40 million gross sales not NET.. so you will have to wait for your 1 mil..  YUP fully guided tour eat there its a culture unto its own that's for sure.. lots of super sharp kids walking around there with their dogs and playing Volleyball :)

Maybe I'm off on this, but I believe it is the responsibility of every BP contributor to read all the posts prior to theirs in attempt to not be redundant to previous posts as well as to provide value-added input.

However, I am not about to go read 395 posts. Even if I was a bored, retired person with absolutely no life, I would not read 395 posts before adding my 2 cents.

So here goes, and apologies for my laziness.

I am always baffled why someone new to real estate decides they want to be a wholesaler. Admittedly, I have not done any wholesaling, as I am a long-time buy/hold investor. But to me, being a good, valid wholesaler seems like it would be one of the most challenging jobs in real estate investment. It does not at all seem like a job that a newbie could quickly be successful at. I would think an effective wholesaler needs to have a more comprehensive skillset than almost all other types of real estate investors. They need to have superior communication & negotiation skills. They need to know not just the traditional transaction process, but multiple alternative transaction/deal structures. They must know precise market values and precise rehab costs. There's a lot of stuff going on here, and it seems to me like its the last path someone new to real estate should take.

Lastly, I have looked at wholesaler deals. I am very skeptical until I am provided enough substantiation to gain confidence and engage. On what basis would I have any confidence in the deals someone brand new to real estate brings me? I know the short answer would be the numbers, but experience and reputation apply strongly here.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from doing this. But realize that here's one investor's view of someone new to real estate going into wholesaling as well as considerations on doing business with such a person.

Originally posted by @Dave G. :

Maybe I'm off on this, but I believe it is the responsibility of every BP contributor to read all the posts prior to theirs in attempt to not be redundant to previous posts as well as to provide value-added input.

However, I am not about to go read 395 posts. Even if I was a bored, retired person with absolutely no life, I would not read 395 posts before adding my 2 cents.

So here goes, and apologies for my laziness.

I am always baffled why someone new to real estate decides they want to be a wholesaler. Admittedly, I have not done any wholesaling, as I am a long-time buy/hold investor. But to me, being a good, valid wholesaler seems like it would be one of the most challenging jobs in real estate investment. It does not at all seem like a job that a newbie could quickly be successful at. I would think an effective wholesaler needs to have a more comprehensive skillset than almost all other types of real estate investors. They need to have superior communication & negotiation skills. They need to know not just the traditional transaction process, but multiple alternative transaction/deal structures. They must know precise market values and precise rehab costs. There's a lot of stuff going on here, and it seems to me like its the last path someone new to real estate should take.

Lastly, I have looked at wholesaler deals. I am very skeptical until I am provided enough substantiation to gain confidence and engage. On what basis would I have any confidence in the deals someone brand new to real estate brings me? I know the short answer would be the numbers, but experience and reputation apply strongly here.

Not trying to dissuade anyone from doing this. But realize that here's one investor's view of someone new to real estate going into wholesaling as well as considerations on doing business with such a person.

And the great thing about real estate is you, more or less, really get to choose who you work for and with! So your stance is, you would not work with me. I get it. It's all about reputation. Heck, I probably don't want to work with over half of the buyers on my list as they haven't been vetted and who knows their reliability. I will weed them out as I progress and kick folks off my "preferred" list who really aren't worthy.

Your post reminds a bit of when someone is fresh out of college going for their first REAL job, but ALL of the entry-level positions require 2-3 years of full-time experience before they'll even consider you... wait, what?? I know! Crazy, right? But by some miracle us newbies get through and power on. Though, I guess it's not really a miracle as it happens multiple times every single day. Yea, that doesn't classify as a miracle.

Thank you for your input! I also don't blame you for not reading all those posts... seriously! I have no intention of ever reading them again (at least not any time soon). I even regret some things I posted previously but am comforted by the fact that the vast majority of people who ever even stumble upon this discussion will absolutely not read any posts beyond that first page, and for that, I am quite thankful!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here