Quit My Job and Plan to Wholesale

537 Replies

Originally posted by @D'kavvin Wilson :

Lmao wow it does not stop... do you guys no there is such thing as being an assistant to an agent which allows you mls access??? .... GEEEESH I THOUGHT I WAS THE AMATEUR HERE TO LEARN BUT YOU GUYS SOUND OLD AND WASHED UP LIKE YOU STOPPED YOUR EDUCATION. 

so are you saying your now an assistant to a for real broker and that's how you get the MLS pass log in.. ??? some how I would think that's BS.. anyway... I know being a rank amateur I have a lot to learn from you.. and so do a lot of others on BP you should continue to spread your knowledge..

I see you.  I hear you.  I get you.  Melanie, while you and your "true" support team (...and, you already know who they are) are driving, seat-belted and cautiously, yet bad-***, full-speed ahead down that road named "Ain't For Everybody", past the intersection of 'Nothing Ventured/Nothing Gained', and you (inevitably) reach a roadblock in the form of needing a marketing and/or CRM solution, look for me.  I'll be the one holding the sign which reads "PART OF THE PROBLEM SOLUTION".   P.S. Your "dabble" wasn't lost on me, ha, ha!

Originally posted by @Bayo Adebowale :

@Melanie Hartmann Go all in and leave no room for failure nor luck!. Hope is great, but faith without hard work is dead. Go all in! Be the best hardworking wholesaler you can be. Get to the leads before your competitors. Know all about properties in the county you want to operate in. Know the dates the fresh lists come out, how to get names, addresses etc of property owners, how to skip trace, how to use Call Rail. Go to your local REI club and meet like-minded people. Get close, and find an experienced wholesaler to be your partner/mentor.

Go on youtube and watch tons of videos. I chose Max Maxwell to learn from (find him on youtube/facebook/Instagram), then go out and take massive action.

Don't sit at home! Get on the road and put actions to your knowledge. Prove yourself.

Wish you success! You can do this!

@Bayo - What do you mean by "Know the dates the fresh lists come out" What lists? ty

This post has been removed.

@Chris Jackson Thanks! I've done quite a bit of offline marketing but havent really taken advantage of online marketing. Which it looks like you have. Do you have any recommendations on where to to start for that? i know i could do a google search. Just interested on your thoughts ;).

@Nephtalie Pierre - Online marketing needs to be a holistic approach where you have your base things all set and then start picking away and focusing on the various pillars.

I would start by working backwards. 

1) People do due diligence on you right away online. The first they want to get is warm and fuzzy feeling that you are a real person. So first have your FB account of yourself easily accessible , that doesnt mean open to the world but a professional FB profile with some info about you and for the pubic to go to your website to verify you are who you say you are and can find out more about you.   So that means create a website with your mission statement, bio, experience and any other credibility items to add to your bio. Also add a way for people to contact you

2) add analytics codes to your websites, FB and google analytics codes are a must. you can analyze traffic over time and determine what works and what doesnt. you dont have to spend a ton of time on this but it is nice to have some metrics to cross refence

3) Think about who your most important target customer is first, is it buyers, sellers and or investors.  focus your content and efforts on the most important one first. If its investors, just be careful I see alot of loose FB posts out there attracting investors. Know the best way to attract investors? know what the F you are talking about. Start posting on topics and add your thoughts to them. In time you will be a party and someone will say "hey tell me about East Bumble and why invest there"

4) its never ending, you need to be thinking about how you can add to your presence strategically. that takes time but you need to disciplined about adding content that is of value. 

Once you have the machine working you can start getting into FB ads, email marketing, google retargeting and all that. Just have a professional presence that is active and growing gradually 

Hope that helps. Its a big topic that wont be wrapped up in a bow unfortunately. Know why? Cuz if it was easy everyone would do it. :)

Originally posted by @Chris Jackson :

@Nephtalie Pierre   Thanks. No. In this business you need to learn pretty quickly that this is a marketing business. 

Indeed it is! I've been working on all of the "behind-the-scenes" portions that will eventually help my websites and company name rank on google. Googling the phone numbers of my business put at least one of my webpages per number on that first page, so that's a plus for when folks go to google those. 

I've begun venturing into "cold-emailing" on Craigslist and have also added my #s and websites to my email signature as well. I plan to begin direct mail marketing in the next week or two once my LLC is approved. I have my first list of potential cash buyers at the ready to mail to. Going for the cheapest of the cheap to start off in case of any bad address. Still deciding on what company to use for the mailing. I'll be printing business cards soon and then I plan to focus on marketing to motivated sellers.

I've posted a cash buyer ad on FB a few days ago that, to my surprise, has actually gotten a few conversions. I tweaked the campaign after the first day to be a bit more targeted and that seemed to help. I've even gotten my first like for my company's facebook page, haha! 

I'm at 15 cash buyers on my list now - a few are fellow wholesalers. (for the naysayers... No, none of them are vetted, so they could all be total garbage. Yes, I know you only need a few great ones). I've had almost 100 people visit my cash buyer site over the past 7 days - which is about how old the site is. And almost another 100 visits between my two motivated seller sites (I have not intentionally marketed either of my motivated seller pages yet). Things are moving along. I think I could realistically be looking at closing my first deal within the next three months, if not sooner. (for the naysayers... Correct, I may NEVER ever close a deal).

Today would have been my first day back to my W-2 job after summer break. I'm still happy with the decision I've made. (for the naysayers... I WILL always be happy that I made this decision, regardless of whether I end up making any money in this venture or not. Life is about the journey, not the destination). 

This morning, I was just chatting with someone I worked closely with last school year. It was a great call. When you go against the grain, you QUICKLY see who truly had/has your back vs. those who were just blowing smoke up your you-know-what. Most people in life, at least in my experience, are just blowing smoke. I've no time for smoke blowers anymore.

Originally posted by @Nephtalie Pierre :

@Chris Jackson Thanks! I've done quite a bit of offline marketing but havent really taken advantage of online marketing. Which it looks like you have. Do you have any recommendations on where to to start for that? i know i could do a google search. Just interested on your thoughts ;).

YouTube is a great place to start. I've learned and applied a TON of the techniques from there. I'd also highly suggest obtaining an investorcarrot website or two. They make a lot of the online marketing straightforward and hold your hand through the process. Their sites are built for easy use of online marketing tactics. I've made a lot of progress quickly because of them. 

It's all about progress rather than perfection. My sites are still "under construction" in that I have not gone through all of the provided text to rewrite everything. I work on them a little more each day, some days more than others. I probably have jumped to gun with a few things, like FB ads (but for $5-$10 it didn't seem like a costly venture to try out and see how it went. In a few days, (just advertising that my investor site was up - but still a work in progress. Not the best ad, but helps show that I am a real person) has reached about 700 people with about 20-30 click throughs and a few conversions to my buyers list. Not bad for $5. I plan to use FB ads again a little down the line once I start posting blogs and the sites are a bit more complete/updated.

Originally posted by @Terrell Johnson :
rtmann how do you begin to wholesale house like I'm truly ignorant as to how one would begin

Wholesaling:

1. You need discounted properties. 
  2. You need a countract with an escape clause that you should NEVER use
  3. You need backend buyers

Now from there take each point and work backwards. 

The reason I refuse to give you a recipe is because you will inherently just follow tasks without thinking. That is the sure way to end up where 90% of the wholesalers end up at.

Nowhere.

You need to think. Be smart. Think outside the box.

OK now.. go backwards,

What is the best way to get discounted properties?

1. You should have no competition
  2. You should spend little to no money on said leds
  3. Should be effortless

What does all this? A ranking website. SO: Get a website, Lear SEO, Rank it high and this will happen...

This is the #1 thing you should have no matter what you do in REI. Wholesaling Flipping, BRRRRRRRR, you need a continuous flow of leads coming in.

Then go to step 2, and work again backwards.

Now to the following step till you have it all laid out. Now you have a complete list of tasks and steps in front of you that you now should convert into actionable steps.

Do not rely on others her eon the forums to magically give you the magic guide how to. 

It

Doesn't

Help

Trust me I have been there and no one by far has worked as hard as I have to make it.. NO ONE, no ot you , not you and not you. Don't care what you all think, I have done the unthinkable obsessively maniac beat mode to get here.

How do I know no one did as much as I did? I ranked my site # 1 in 3 to 4 months... I thik that is a record.

So believe me I tried and now I have the magic guide .. how I did it... ad this guide will not help you... unless you are doing what @Melanie Hartmann is doing, and what I did. Relentlessly making it work.

That is seriously the best thing you can do. 

Do the research get the education get what you need and just make it happen.

@Melanie Hartmann Thank you for your input! I have an investor carrot site but haven't focused on it as much other than setting it up with the basics. I was more so focused on offline marketing. You're doing amazing for your first couple of days!  Keep at it!

Offline marketing is for making 1 deal right now with a ton of effort and no system in place for continuous lead generation.

This is the mistake most investors make.

A ton of work to get a deal right now. All that work is ONLY for that. THAT one deal. That work is not automatically continuously giving you more leads. So that is simply a WASTE of time and effort.

Now consider doing SEO, Setting up a killer website etc. etc. You do the work once, and you will continuously generate deals.

You need to step back and look at your business infrastructure and catch all the flaws and correct them. If you are not doing this you are winging it. And you will simply not get anywhere. Work smart, work calculated and efficient. ROI should not only be about money, but also work and fruits of said work's labor!

Forget offline marketing. Seriously forget it! I am not sayingyou can not make deals that way.. I am saying you do not WANT to make deals that way. You do not WANT THAT to be your lead source because you will NEVER beat a copetitor that does it the better way.

And I said it once,I said it before.. to make it, you should not be the top dog.. you should strive to be the ONLY dog! Crush your competitors no friggin mercy! I don't care how bad that sounds. There is no second place here. You are ranking 1 on Google or you simply Do not exist to sellers! Period!

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden :
Originally posted by @Nephtalie Pierre:

@Melanie Hartmann Thank you for your input! I have an investor carrot site but haven't focused on it as much other than setting it up with the basics. I was more so focused on offline marketing. You're doing amazing for your first couple of days!  Keep at it!

Offline marketing is for making 1 deal right now with a ton of effort and no system in place for continuous lead generation.

THis is the mistake most investors make.

A ton of work to get a deal right ow. All that work is ONLY for that. THAT one deal. That work is not automatically continuously giving you more leads. So that is simply a WASTE of time and effort.

Now consider doing SEO, Setting up a killer website etc. etc. You do the work once, and you will continuously generate deals.

You need to step back and look at your business infrastructure and catch all the flaws and correct them. If you are not doing this you are winging it. Ad you will simply not get anywhere. Work smart, work calculated and efficient. ROI should not only be about money, but also work and fruits of said work's labor!

Forget offline marketing. Seriously forget it! I am not sayingyou can not make deals that way.. I am saying you do not WANT to make deals that way. You do not WANT THAT to be your lead source because you will NEVER beat a copetitor that does it the better way.

And I said it once,I said it before.. to make it, you should not be the top dog.. you should strive to be the ONLY dog! Crush your competitors no friggin mercy! I don't care how bad that sounds. There is no second place here. You are ranking 1 on Google or you simply Do not exist to sellers! Period!

Thank you! I'll take heed to your advice.

Nephtalie 

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden:

A ton of work to get a deal right ow. All that work is ONLY for that. THAT one deal. That work is not automatically continuously giving you more leads. So that is simply a WASTE of time and effort.

You need to step back and look at your business infrastructure and catch all the flaws and correct them. If you are not doing this you are winging it. Ad you will simply not get anywhere. Work smart, work calculated and efficient. ROI should not only be about money, but also work and fruits of said work's labor!

Nephtalie 

take it seriously... obsessively ad things will happen. I promise you this!

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden :

Nephtalie 

I will. I appreciate your advice!

Nephtalie 

I will. I appreciate your advice!

This post is just general thoughts for everyone:

Having had no real knowledge of what goes in to an online presence not even two weeks ago, it was very overwhelming. I started with just getting the basics - sites, social media up, etc. Now I go back and add to it, tweak things, create backlinks, add in credibility (still far from complete in this), etc. etc.  

Investorcarrot has so many simple and easy to use/do activities. Just discovered yesterday you can add a "Like Us" Facebook widget for your business's FB page in about 5 minutes - from first learning how to doing it. What? So cool! These investorcarrot sites are amazing and completely worth it!

Whether it was the appropriate action to take or not, I purchased wholesaling contract packages from a local, investor-friendly attorney for Maryland and D.C. I've spent a fair chunk of change to get started, about $1500-$2000 thus far (keeping all receipts for tax purposes), with the LLC and associated documents of that taking up almost half of that expense. It's not necessary to spend that much but I will say having done so has helped to expedite things substantially.

For example, do I LOVE my logo? No, but I like it. Is it better than what I could make on my own with the programs I currently have access to? Yes. Will I get a better/different one later on, most likely. I spent just under $20 for 2 logos from Fiverr - good enough for now and a HUGE time-saver. 

Some things are ok to be "cheap" on to start with, such as a logo - Fiverr or make your own. Investorcarrot is not one. I have the most expensive plan - why? Because I need it and it is already helping my young business grow like crazy. The leads I'll be bringing in will easily justify the expense. - seriously funny how once I put my business info on my BP signature the "naysayers" have significantly died down. "Oh, she serious... My bad." (At least that's what I imagine them thinking. That, or "She's seriously crazy!" Either way, they're correct and it makes me smile).

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here