Quit My Job and Plan to Wholesale

537 Replies

Originally posted by @Matt K. :
Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann:
Originally posted by @Jeremy Baxter:

I haven't read through all 400+ replies, but I have a question. If @Melanie Hartmann had posted all the same details originally but said "realtor" instead of "wholesaler", would she be getting the same amount of negative responses? Just curious.

Melanie, I think it's awesome that you're doing this.

Never thought about that but Jeremy, given that so many have asked why I didn't choose to become a realtor or told me that's what I should have done instead I would have initially said no. Though in actuality, I believe I would still have gotten the same amount of negative responses. Change and uncertainty is scary - so why leave something "solid" for something "liquid" that could easily slip through your fingers?

Now I can't be sure, but it seems like only one person who actually was a wholesaler told me it didn't work for them and they had to do something else and just cautioned me. Everyone else it seems who questioned it haven't done it. I've had many more people who have said they did the same or similar and it's working out for them... so... yea, I'm going to keep doing it until it's impossible for me to do it anymore.

Man, being a realtor - that's also not for me. At all. I would get my license but not be a realtor. I don't care to go into the reasons as they really don't matter to anyone but me. Haha, but being a realtor to me is almost as bad as being a teacher. I will wholesale instead of being a realtor and was a school psychologist instead of a teacher. Yup, that's me. :) 

out of curiosity what is it that is so different about being a realtor vs wholesaler for you?

That's really a great question Matt. I just don't have time to answer it properly at this time. It's similar in a way as to why I became a school psychologist instead of a teacher. Watch people like Max Maxwell or Khang Le (Wholesale to Millions). They are killing it but are still "real." They might be able to answer that question for you.

Congratulations, Melanie. Only you know your own financial situation and leverage. I commend you for taking the risk. There is no reward unless there is risk and the bigger the risk, the bigger the reward. Money is not the only factor in this business. Time is one other factor and when you leverage that time to develop your business, your return on investment will be much higher than the money you are given by a traditional job.

Originally posted by @Melanie Hartmann :

I haven't read through all 400+ replies, but I have a question. If @Melanie Hartmann had posted all the same details originally but said "realtor" instead of "wholesaler", would she be getting the same amount of negative responses? Just curious.

Never thought about that but Jeremy, given that so many have asked why I didn't choose to become a realtor or told me that's what I should have done instead I would have initially said no. Though in actuality, I believe I would still have gotten the same amount of negative responses. Change and uncertainty is scary - so why leave something "solid" for something "liquid" that could easily slip through your fingers?

Now I can't be sure, but it seems like only one person who actually was a wholesaler told me it didn't work for them and they had to do something else and just cautioned me. Everyone else it seems who questioned it haven't done it. I've had many more people who have said they did the same or similar and it's working out for them... so... yea, I'm going to keep doing it until it's impossible for me to do it anymore.

Man, being a realtor - that's also not for me. At all. I would get my license but not be a realtor. I don't care to go into the reasons as they really don't matter to anyone but me. Haha, but being a realtor to me is almost as bad as being a teacher. I will wholesale instead of being a realtor and was a school psychologist instead of a teacher. Yup, that's me. :) 

I don't get it why you think being a realtor is different than a wholesaler.. its the exact same thing. your brining two parties together for expectation of compensation..   One is in an industry the other is on an island.. one has huge market potential the other has only distressed or deeply discounted properties to go after.. both have huge burn out rates.. I have owned 3 brokerages over the years and my dad had a real estate company .. so been around this stuff all my life.. 50% of agents never make it a year.. and based on the post on BP I see I would say 9 out of 10 that say they are going to wholesale to make money so they can buy and hold and retire in 10 years on passive income.. well that is verbatim virtually everyone.. very few make it.. there are only so many Jerrylls out there.

I work in the industry and see the huds.. the successful wholesaler and by that I mean making 300 to 500k a year are far and few between but those that do .. have pretty big companies.. vertically integrated.. I see the lone wolf wholesaler being more like a used car salesmen buying cars at auction then reselling them.. and that can be a great business.. 

Anyway just was a little amused at your thought of a realtor and a wholesaler being distinctly different when in fact they are exactly a like only the wholesaler has a much smaller amount of inventory to work with.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

I don't get it why you think being a realtor is different than a wholesaler.. its the exact same thing. your brining two parties together for expectation of compensation..   One is in an industry the other is on an island.. one has huge market potential the other has only distressed or deeply discounted properties to go after.. both have huge burn out rates.. I have owned 3 brokerages over the years and my dad had a real estate company .. so been around this stuff all my life.. 50% of agents never make it a year.. and based on the post on BP I see I would say 9 out of 10 that say they are going to wholesale to make money so they can buy and hold and retire in 10 years on passive income.. well that is verbatim virtually everyone.. very few make it.. there are only so many Jerrylls out there.

I work in the industry and see the huds.. the successful wholesaler and by that I mean making 300 to 500k a year are far and few between but those that do .. have pretty big companies.. vertically integrated.. I see the lone wolf wholesaler being more like a used car salesmen buying cars at auction then reselling them.. and that can be a great business.. 

Anyway just was a little amused at your thought of a realtor and a wholesaler being distinctly different when in fact they are exactly a like only the wholesaler has a much smaller amount of inventory to work with.

Glad to see I wasn't totally off base on my thought process...

I took the simplified view and see wholesaler/realtor at opposite ends of the same spectrum. Wholesaler trying to get things as cheap as possible so they mark it up and get a bigger cut whereas realtor sells it as high as possible to get their cut... Both trying to get someone to sell a home... and "solve the problem" of completing the sale.

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

I took the simplified view and see wholesaler/realtor at opposite ends of the same spectrum. Wholesaler trying to get things as cheap as possible so they mark it up and get a bigger cut whereas realtor sells it as high as possible to get their cut... Both trying to get someone to sell a home... and "solve the problem" of completing the sale.

hey Matt, check this scenario out

Take my team as an example.

I am said wholesaler right? And guess what my agent does. When she gets a potential lead, she convinces the seller (when it is feasible) to NOT list it with her and sell it to me.. the cash buyer.

3 guesses why.

If said house is a dump (ideal for a cash buy).. or even a not such dump, after we flip the house guess who will get the listing of a freshly brand new renovated home 3x the value  it would be listed for if they had listed it with her.

So she makes a LOT more commission by working with.. yup a (smart) wholesaler.

No no.. agents and wholesalers don't have to be on the opposite ends. Don't put strategies and jobs on the spectrum... ... it is people and their stupid ignorant and lack of creative thinking that should be placed on the spectrum.

The art of wholesaling is a strategy as is the art of being an agent. These strategies do not oppose each other. It is a stupid selfish impatient wholesaler and an agent without vision that are on the opposite ends.

What do you think..

well that is verbatim virtually everyone.. very few make it.. there are only so many Jerrylls out there.

ha ha ha ha,

dude I need to meet you

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden :
Originally posted by @Matt K.:

I am said wholesaler right? And guess what my agent does. When she gets a potential lead, she convinces the seller (when it is feasible) to NOT list it with her and sell it to me.. the cash buyer.

3 guesses why.

If said house is a dump (ideal for a cash buy).. or even a not such dump, after we flip the house guess who will get the listing of a freshly brand new renovated home 3x the value  it would be listed for if they had listed it with her.

No no.. agents and wholesalers don't have to be on the opposite ends. Don't put strategies and jobs on the spectrum... ... it is people and their stupid ignorant and lack of creative thinking that should be placed on the spectrum.

The art of wholesaling is a strategy as is the art of being an agent. These strategies do not oppose each other. It is a stupid selfish impatient wholesaler and an agent without vision that are on the opposite ends.

What do you think..

In this example, you'd want to get the house as cheap as possible correct? Then when you flip it (at which point are you still a wholesaler, not a flipper?) you want the agent to sell it for as much as possible rather than as cheap as possible correct? I mean I get there's some level of small detail here and there about time on market/holding costs etc that play into the as much as possible but I think the point stands.

Wouldn't the process look like this:

Wholesaler gets property under contract (lowest price of transaction)
Adds assignment fee (lower acquisition costs, more room for higher fee)

Flipper/Investor/Someone buys it (at discount of "market value)

They add repairs/profit (lower acquisition cost/repairs, more room for profit)

Realtor markets/sells it (highest price of transaction)

Collects commision from sale of property (based off sale price).

I guess my confusion is what makes a wholesaler fundamentally different than an agent?  The main thing that stands out to me is that a wholesaler typically can't collect commision (hence the assignment fee) but a realtor could.  But I don't really see how that's a positive or really much more than a technicality... 

Again, for context this is in response to 

Man, being a realtor - that's also not for me. At all. I would get my license but not be a realtor. I don't care to go into the reasons as they really don't matter to anyone but me. Haha, but being a realtor to me is almost as bad as being a teacher. I will wholesale instead of being a realtor and was a school psychologist instead of a teacher. Yup, that's me. :) 

Originally posted by @Jerryll Noorden :
Originally posted by @Matt K.:

3 guesses why.

What do you think..

what you describe is why so many get on BP and say agents are scum bags..  that is a total violation of licensure laws..  and ethics.

there is a broker here in Oregon going to get in a lot of hot water for this right now.. depends on how your state views the marketing of a property you don't own.. when your not licensed.. which in our state is a clear violation and you will get a fine and a cease and desist.. and a broker who is aiding and abeting could easily lose their license..

Being a realtor - an actual realtor, is quite different than being a wholesaler. And being a realtor is terribly unappealing to me.

Being a realtor - an actual realtor, is quite different than being a wholesaler. And being a realtor is terribly unappealing to me. 

the mission is the same..  nothing different and that's OK not everyone wants to be a wholesaler or in sales at all. sales is a tough gig..  

the mission is the same..  nothing different and that's OK not everyone wants to be a wholesaler or in sales at all. sales is a tough gig..  

Check this out this video on YouTube "Subscriber First Wholesale Deal Interview #15: Vi Made Over 60K within 2 months-Wholesaling Houses." The first bit of this video has a very very simplified reason as to why being a realtor is unappealing to me. The reason starts at minute 1:50 to about 2:50.

I dont think i have seen such an extensive discussuon on a post before. Lol...i say this....get all the information you can. You are an adult capable of weighing things out...good and bad. You made a bold move. Continue to be bold. Some of greatest inspirations come from thise who defy conventional thinking. The negatives are much easier to see. Do what you have to do to succeed. I wish you all the best

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC75N9khVXs. The first bit of this video has a very very simplified reason as to why being a realtor is unappealing to me. The reason starts at minute 1:50 to about 2:50.

its OK that you don't want to be a realtor.. I don't either I have not sold retail  real estate in decades.. but my wife does and she loves it and well she has sold almost 12 million so far this year.. do the math.. she is very good at it.. has been doing it for 25 years and its all referral based she spends ZERO on marketing.. now tell me a wholesaler that spends ZERO on marketing.. has no website etc etc.. this is why realtors who are good and make it to year 10 have it made.. 90% or more of their business just comes to them in repeat business and referrals.. no marketing constantly no working in the hood in bombed out houses..etc etc like you will be doing in Baltimore.. I know Balt I know what the wholesalers sell there I know how dangerous those areas are .. I would never in a thousand years let my wife even go there.  Yet your dream is to do that..  but again the Mission with a wholesaler and a realtor is to bring two parties together for expectation of compensation is it not ?  how one does it is a little different.. unless of course your telling us that you will personally buy these then re market them as the owner ( which is what I do)  then in that case your a for real investor flipper developer etc. not an agent or wholesaler..  

How? You keep saying this but I don't get it.... 

How? You keep saying this but I don't get it.... 

And that's ok! :P

In all seriousness, why not try googling realtor vs. wholesaler? There a lot of articles and several YouTube videos on describing the distinction. Might help you clarify a why and/or the difference. My personal reasons for or against one or the other really aren't relevant or necessary - nor do I have the desire to defend or explain them. They only matter to me :)

Originally posted by @David Medina :
I dont think i have seen such an extensive discussuon on a post before. Lol...i say this....get all the information you can. You are an adult capable of weighing things out...good and bad. You made a bold move. Continue to be bold. Some of greatest inspirations come from thise who defy conventional thinking. The negatives are much easier to see. Do what you have to do to succeed. I wish you all the best

A man of reason over here instead of just doubt! I like it! Thank you David!

@Melanie Hartmann that lady from your video, going to assume she's a top performer in her role as a wholesaler..... she'd probably do equally well and be a top performer as a agent.... Not sure why she'd listen to someone who gave her average numbers when she's not an average person.

Have you seen the prices of commercial real estate... less agents, and absurd prices...

@Melanie Hartmann that lady from your video, going to assume she's a top performer in her role as a wholesaler..... she'd probably do equally well and be a top performer as a agent.... Not sure why she'd listen to someone who gave her average numbers when she's not an average person.

Have you seen the prices of commercial real estate... less agents, and absurd prices...

@Melanie Hartmann your life, your dreams, on your terms. I applaud you for taking this step. It amazes me that in an entrepreneurial forum, you can have so many question another persons path toward their financial freedom. Forget the negative, Rock on and take massive action. We are our only limits 💪
Originally posted by @Jay Johnson :
@Melanie Hartmann your life, your dreams, on your terms. I applaud you for taking this step. It amazes me that in an entrepreneurial forum, you can have so many question another persons path toward their financial freedom. Forget the negative, Rock on and take massive action. We are our only limits 💪

True story Jay! True story

Thank you for spreading the right mindset. Now, if only this was more contagious than the other...

The Facebook groups centered around wholesaling - that's where I go now if I need practical advice and to share my victories. They get it, they live it, they breathe it, they do it. It's awesome to see the real-life, day-to-day struggles and victories. *Not gonna lie about the added bonus* I LOVE when people post the checks they get. It's changing lives all across the country. Those podcasts/videos/documents/tips are also extremely helpful as well! It's win-win all around over there.

Congrats on chasing your passion and going full time! I went full time 3 years ago and it feels like its been one long vacation. I haven't bought from a wholesaler yet but not because I'm against it, it's just that I haven't seen the right deal yet.

Dr. Ivan Joseph once said, "No one will believe in you unless you do." I take that "do" to mean a couple of things (you have to be the one who believes in you AND you have to DO). 

Once I do what it is I say I'm going to do, I'll make believers of you all. And if not, that's ok because I don't need you to believe. I just need myself to believe in me and I absolutely do. 

So if my actions do not make sense to you, that is ok. I'm glad they don't. If they did, everyone would be doing it and it wouldn't be all that radical or inspiring or profitable.

Yes, you can kick a "weak" horse. I haven't jumped over that first fence yet (closed my first deal). I'm training, riding, practicing, learning, growing, and getting stronger every single day. I WILL jump over that fence. I WILL jump over that next fence and I WILL keep on jumping until I don't feel like jumping anymore.

"They call us dreamers but we're the ones that don't sleep..."

Originally posted by @Randy D Visser :

Congrats on chasing your passion and going full time! I went full time 3 years ago and it feels like its been one long vacation. I haven't bought from a wholesaler yet but not because I'm against it, it's just that I haven't seen the right deal yet.

Randy... I totally get that. From the few I've seen thus far... they are no good. Gonna keep digging

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here