I hate College, I’m ready for real estate.

137 Replies

@Nick Quarandillo , Let me tell you a little story (the super condensed version)

I graduated high school a little early and was such a hard charger that I had all my credits to graduate by the end of my sophomore year, so I punted school (I HATE SCHOOL). Then my parents said I needed to go to college, so I enrolled in the local community college at 17 and hated it. I had pretty good grades but ended up with a 1.17 GPA (I know, I know, it was bad) because I stopped going the last 4 weeks. I punted the college because I was joining the military to work in intelligence, and thus I thought I didn't need a degree. 

Fast forward to today, I'm almost 24 and I graduate college this summer. I go online to a pretty good school. I work full time in my desired field (no longer intelligence), and I have a 3.9 GPA. What did I learn in school? Well honestly about 1 thing per class (that I can apply). Do I think college is worth it for most people? Nope. Do I think online school is the best option for more people? Yep. The truth is, you need a job. Most jobs require that piece of paper, regardless of how little it actually translates into the real world of what you majored in. 

You shouldn't drop out. Unless the job you want doesn't require college (like a trade), excluding RE. RE has more failures than anything, plus if you wake up one day and decide you don't like it anymore, what HARD skills do you have that will help you get a new job? Sales, and if you hate sales well then you're stuck.

You don't have to choose a job that makes a killing, find something you like even if it pays less. Hustle on the side with your RE/REI while in college. Retire in 4-6 years after graduation if you don't like what you do. I can guarantee you won't regret it.

Just curious whats your major?

Edit: Forgot to mention, I wish I hard learned more of the STEM material (math in particular) in high school as working as a construction manager, because I use it DAILY. Kicking myself now.

Dont quit! I also didn't like college, and I can only image how college is now a days with all the loonies... but I'm so glad I stuck with it. It's always something to fall back on... .and with your generation appearing to be a lot of unmotivated "live for today" type people, you will be ahead of the game with your degree... and then you can rent your properties to all of them. It's win win for you. 

@Nick Quarandillo don’t drop out, use it to your advantage. I bought my first house across the street from campus with student loan money. Student loans are cheaper than mortgages. If you haven’t don’t so already, I would find out what the maximum amount of private loans you can take out is and use it for a down payment or even to purchase a house outright. Once you leave school it’s an opportunity you’ll never get back.

@Nick Quarandillo

When I went to college the first time I failed out. I’ll hated it. I couldn’t make it to class. I dreamed of bigger and better things in my life. I knew that there was a better way to these better things than that college crap. I’ll was too smart and all the people idiots. I saw right through that hamster wheel.

So I got sold a MLM scam and dropped out. What ended up happening is that I ended up massively depressed, homeless, and with no future at all. Smoking and drunk.

So I joined the military to get some hope and some discipline. I took some classes occasionally. Nothing much. Then I got out, went back to college, med school etc.

I’m just giving you an example. College was a waste the first time and awesome the next time I went. It’s an opportunity to get your learn on. To increase your knowledge and friend circle.

What I recommend, and I don’t know you outside of this post, is for you to tailor your major to your interests. If you want to do real estate...take courses in business, accounting, finance, and marketing. Hell, maybe even internet related things like web design. This will at least give you a basic understanding to hold other people accountable.

If you are just dying to get started in real estate investing then house hack to get started. Go to a local real estate investors meeting. Network. Get THAT stuff done. ( I don’t know how much of that you have done). Maybe drive for dollars and wholesale.

@Nick Quarandillo I’m not saying you should stay or go, and maybe you should switch majors if there is too much petty work, try majoring in real estate or accounting or something that will be advantageous to your real estate pursuits.

I do know one thing, it’s been much easier for me to get property making my college grad income than if I was still working my just over minimum wage job.

Now does that mean you can’t graduate and still pursue real estate, not at all I barely use anything I learned in college for my current job, but it’s always nice to have a contingency plan if things don’t go the way you plan, life’s kinda funny like that.

I am not one to tell someone to stay in college, but I would recommend you have a clear plan for either direction.  You can also burn the candle at both ends and learn real estate investing while staying in college.  There are a lot of options and it's not one or the other.

@Nick Quarandillo As a sophomore in college myself and having the same thought last semester about dropping out to focus on real estate I instead found a more suitable major for myself. I found one that I understood and enjoyed learning about but also can be used in the REI world along with a good paying job if need be! I currently have two properties (4 units) with a partner. If you want to get into real estate I would start by finding a reliable and suitable partner to invest with. Maybe one that has the funds but no time. As a college student I find myself having some free time after class and after my part time job to do the responsibilities of being a real estate investor. If you have questions or would like to talk about this more, I'd be happy to do so!!

@Nick Quarandillo

Hey man, I can completely relate to what you are saying. I was the same way my first time through college. I dreaded it as well, since it felt like being on a hamster wheel the entire time, just like you said. 

But you know something? Being in college is not all that bad. Why not use this time to network like crazy and get to know as many people as you can? That is one good thing going for college is that you have so many possible professional connections right there waiting to happen. You just need to look for them.

Also consider the fact that while you are in college you can take coursework that would actually help you out like accounting and marketing. Those are some of the most relevant courses I can think of that a college would offer which would be helpful for you.

@Joe Villeneuve

That’s a hell of lot of debt (for most) to figure out “how to learn”.

I’m anti-US college for the simple reason that no one can come up with a good reason why we need to go to a college for 4 years here and take a bunch of classes that most have the bandwidth to handle in high school.

The US undergrad system is a scheme at best and scam at worse. I realized 2 years and 60+ credits into an expensive engineering program and dropped out cold. Went overseas on the cheap to do what I wanted, and then came back.

Main reason I didn’t like it is cause the cost is not at all justified. They also gladly take your money and have ridiculous majors and classes available for kids trying to still “find themselves” that are useful to nobody except those they employ as professors.

Unless you’re going to a top tier college where the name on the resume and networking actually mean something, you might as well go to the local community college and save the money.

I hated all things school so I’m biased. College included. I was constantly findings ways to hustle. Still wound up doing 20 years of it in total.

I did it knowing my target all along was securing a job that I actually don’t hate day to day, which can provide me significant capital to invest on my own.

In hard numbers, my juvenile dream was to sign a quarter million dollar contract. I did what was needed to reach that target and no more.

@Nick Quarandillo

If you are studying something that leads to high income then your real estate career will be inmensly benefitted for it. Also, here is your chance to perfect that husstle you need to have, network, negotiation skill, read the books, define your goals. Finish as early as you can and start RE on the side as soon as you are able to. Nothing is preventing you from that.

Originally posted by @Nick Quarandillo :

How do I get started I just want to drop out of college and get myself going on in the real estate world.

I get it.  College isn't for everybody.  Or it could be the timing is wrong, for now.

I quit and joined the Navy.  Came back about 7 years later, with a year and a half of college credit to transfer.  Got two degrees instead of one.  And it was paid for by GI Bill program.  

Go talk to a friend that has done something similar, somebody you know, maybe another kid from high school.  That is how I came to consider it.  My best HS buddy joined the USAF to be a loadmaster on cargo planes.  Loved it.  Said college will be there when we get back.  He wasn't wrong.  So off I went.

So isn't this a real estate forum?  

Look around here and see how many men in women in uniform are getting a good head start on their RE investing careers, right where they are stationed.  Give it a year or two, make rank (or make rate if you are Navy), and get yourself to a point where you can afford a pizza and beer once in a while.  Get a few hundred stashed away.  And all the while read and learn.  Then read some more.  Read while you are on watch, read while you are stuck in the back some of plane burning holes in the sky, read while deployed on some sub for 6 months, read while you are in 'hurry up and wait mode'... read.  Get good at skills you might need, like running comps in your area.  Get to know some other guys here on BP that are doing what you want to do.

OK I just hijacked this thread.  Sorry.

Forget the Navy, then.  Find another way.  But I tell you, college will still be there when you are ready for it.  Don't burn up cash in school loans because others think that's what you need to do.

@Nick Quarandillo I dropped out of college last week as a sophomore. I know everyone here has more real-world knowledge and better advice than me, but here’s my 2 cents:

First off, I was told that college will give you opportunities in the future, but everyone who told me that was working a job that they hate and drowning in debt rather than investing, and therefore in no place financially to give anyone advice.

I was told college is great for networking and you’ll make better friends that will last your whole life, but the reality is that most people waste away their semesters doing anything but preparing for the future. If you’re good at networking in college, it’s just because you’re good at networking. Not because of college.

College is to help you figure out what you want to do, and then prepare you to do it. If you want to be a doctor, dropping out would be foolish. If you want to be a lawyer, obviously you have to stay in. But for entrepreneurs and hustlers, most people with enormous wealth or high net worth will tell you college isn’t necessary. And it’s those people who I’m willing to take that advice from.

I’ve been told I’ll get passed up for jobs in the future, even if I have more experience than the next guy, because I don’t have a piece of paper that says I completed 4 years at school. In some fields that’s absolutely true, so you have to ask yourself if those jobs are the ones which you would actually want to work at.

Ultimately, I made my decision to drop out because I want to commit 100% to my own life and do whatever is needed to achieve my personal goals. If you want an unconventional life, you have to have the courage to make an unconventional decision. The people telling me a degree is good for a resume just don’t think the same way as I do.

Now I’m not campaigning for everyone to drop out, and I hope I don’t sound like an angry teen stomping his feet, because that’s not how I am. I’m simply telling you some of the things that I wrestled with over the last 10 days to make my decision. Best of luck to you my friend.

Originally posted by @James Canoy :

@Nick Quarandillo

When I went to college the first time I failed out. I’ll hated it. I couldn’t make it to class. …..

So I joined the military to get some hope and some discipline. I took some classes occasionally. Nothing much. Then I got out, went back to college, med school etc.

I’m just giving you an example. College was a waste the first time and awesome the next time I went. It’s an opportunity to get your learn on. To increase your knowledge and friend circle.

Yeah, this resonates.  I was that same knucklehead, in a local community college in WA state, taking classes with half the same knuckleheads that I went to HS with.  And to the surprise of nobody, we behaved like HS kids.

You might get some discipline in the service.  At least you will get some understanding of what it is.  You will learn what a motivated person looks like.  All of that is helpful, but I think, the biggest factor for me was just a change of setting, new faces & places, and time to grow the hell up.  Earn a couple bucks, be a kid, see some stuff, and grow up a little.  And then I didn't have to take on an ocean of debt when I got back to college.

Be like this guy.  Don't quit, just 'set it aside' for a while.  Come back to it later.

This post has been removed.

If you hate college then you are doing it wrong.

College > Real World

I totally understand where your coming from, I dropped out of college after 2 years.  I was used to hustling to make money though and you better be damn committed and focused on hustling if you want to do what you really want with your life.  Throughout my teens and then into college I was parting out cars, selling the parts on eBay, working on peoples cars and dirtbikes for money, making boost controllers in my parents basement and selling them on eBay, flipping cars.  Do you have a side hustle already?  

When I dropped out I built a motorcyle parts business from the ground up, when all my 21 year old friends were at bars 3-4 days a week or getting drunk at parties I was sitting in my bedroom until 3am updating my website every night on a 56k modem (slow as hell).  I used the advantage of no overheard to make a pretty darn good profit, I designed some of my own parts and signed up dealers around the world that sold them.  That led me to meeting some guys in Sweden that led to the printing business we own today and the properties I have been able to purchase etc etc, it all compounds if you are truly focused on making it happen.  I know how you feel, I have been there, I have seen the droning of other people doing the same exact things over and over and it scared the living crap out of me to the point that I knew I had to make my own success.  I couldn't believe all these people wanted to be the same and rely on someone else to put a roof over their head (money from a real job.)

Actually the first week at college I remember calling my mom begging her to let me leave.  I knew immediately, actually I knew before I went that it wasn't for me, but like most people my parents basically made me go to college "so I could get a good job and not have to work outside busting your butt to try and make a living."  Now I give my parents investing advice and we have a great relationship, funny how things change after you show what you are capable of.

Let me also say I have a brother who finished a 4 year degree at PSU and makes $$$ working for the govt. at Piccatinny Arsenal.  He works on a computer all day, coding stuff for weapons inventory, he is borderline depressed and always talks about leaving his big paying job with amazing benefits, he is not happy.  A lot of people are not happy but they let other people dictate way too much of their life and then this is what happens.  

I could never ever understand for the life of me why someone would waste any amount of time in their short life "pushing through" something that did not make them happy?  Listen I understand we all need money to live, and if you want to live good you need a lot of money.  You have to find ways to make it work, you are young enough to try and get something started.  Network your butt off, a lot in business is all who you know getting started and then 100% commitment to what you want to do.  Just work harder than those people you see next to you in class who are doing the same darn thing every single day and will end up in a office doing the same darn thing every single day after college.  Those people wont work harder than their peers, they will probably actually pass on email that comes through hoping someone else takes care it for them so they can continue watching YouTube while their boss isn't looking.

One more thing, I had 22 year old working at the printing business last year... not a dumb guy, also dropped out of college and wanted to do something his own way, but there was a problem and that problem was he had no motivation.  He could not multi task, he wanted to play on his phone half the time, he couldn't take the bull by the horns and make decisions.  This guy was family, he is my brothers brother-in-law, but I fired him because he needed to get his act together.  Some people have it and some people don't so just make sure you have it so you don't end up working in a warehouse somewhere.

I hate the word QUIT.... challenges are hard in life yet vital to overall growth. Look at the light at the end of the tunnel instead of what’s in the tunnel.

My two cents are somewhat similar to others in some ways. If you are not passionate about your major, find a major that you will like that can help you with Real Estate pursuits. If that's still not for you, and it's better just to leave, pursuing a trade skill that can help would be a great option too. I know what you are saying, some of the tedious things in college I found later in life prepared me for something even if its learning about grinding through.  It could help you to conversate with someone about a topic you would have been otherwise unable to have such as a religion course that was required for me.

Becoming a Realtor and working on wholesaling is a great plan. You can still do that while doing college or a trade skill as well.

I hope everything works out and you find the answer to your question.

Other responders: Let's try to stay positive and help. Most were great, but some small negative assumptions I saw were not needed. 

@Nick Quarandillo you may want to find another motivation for entering real estate besides hating college.

Real estate investing done properly also takes time, energy, and discipline.

@Nick Quarandillo

You're doing the right thing by questioning why you are where you are. This practice will serve you well throughout your life. For example, I consider myself still in beta even though I'm a geezer in retirement (and I graduated from college way back when and I'm glad I did).

@Nick Quarandillo What are you studying right now? 

My perspective (for what it's worth) is that college didn't inspire me all that much. Because of that, I worked 30-50 hour weeks in internships and jobs to keep my mind active. 

While college wasn't the most exciting thing in the world for me, it did open the doors to a career that turned into 6 figures in income in less than 2 years (and continues to grow).  This income has allowed me to invest every spare dollar into real estate at a rate faster than most college dropouts.  My relatively high income has allowed me to get on a trajectory that will have me financially independent (and not the penny pinching kind) before I'm 30.  I couldn't have done that without college opening the door to my career.

You are going to do whatever you are going to do and there's nothing here that anyone can say that will stop you.  Higher education increases your odds of success.

@Nick Quarandillo I believe consensus is very clear on your question. Don't drop out of college. I recently finished my MBA at mid 40's. Real estate is ONE of my many income streams. It's not all rosy all the time in RE. Finish the college when you still have time, like it or not. Education will provide you with logical thinking ability and if you choose right career path, then the income from it will help you propel your RE career. I am and was a STEM major, MBA helped me tremendously to dissect P &L of any business understands ROI, COC, quick and current ratio or EBITDA calculations of just about any business. All these helps you define your tax strategy when you are scaled up. Hope this helps.

@Nick Quarandillo

I can absolutely relate to where you are at, but in my experience I would say unequivocally to stay in college and get your degree (assuming a useful major).  I was of the "C's get degrees" mindset for my undergrad and also had little tolerance for the 'petty assignments' - most of which I did not complete (maybe because I didn't go to class enough to even know I had an assignment due).  I started as a math major - too much studying and too many assignments.  Switched to accounting - more of the same.  Switched to Finance and found my sweet spot where I could use my natural talents with numbers and formulas and score just high enough on exams to make up for my lack of completing assignments.  I was far more concerned with living the college life than focusing on what the future held for me.

Four years went by, had the time of my life, did just enough to earn my degree and then BOOM ... making the big bucks working at a large bank ... $30k/year.  Climbed the proverbial corporate ladder for about 7 years, went back to school to get my MBA (this is where you really learn how to think analytically and strategically - I actually very much enjoyed grad school), and still climbing the "ladder" (feels like a Jacob's ladder).  Granted, I make a rather solid income now which makes investing/financing much much easier - but in hindsight there are things I would have changed.  With that said, here is the path I wish I would have taken:

- Take my undergrad education more serious.  Would have stayed an accounting major - would suggest anything in the business field if not accounting (finance or marketing).

- Get my RE license and start wholesaling/investing (house hack where you live on campus to start) and/or do some traditional listings to get my feet wet in the industry while in college.  Good side hustle since you can control your own schedule.

- Network Network Network 

- Find time to party once in a while - it is college after all

- Graduate and evaluate what's next.  Even if RE was going well, probably would have still taken a W2 job initially for the financing benefits

- Work my arse off to max out my conventional loans in order to quit the W2 job I didn't want in the first place

- Would probably still get my MBA - may not prove to be that beneficial as an investor, but I really did enjoy it and made a few good connections along the way.

I know this is definitely not everyone's path, but this is the one I would have followed if I could do it over again based on my personal experiences.  Whatever it is you choose to do, do it wholeheartedly - don't half a.. anything you do, unless you want to come out of it working in a dingy cubicle, making $30k/year just to make someone else rich.

Originally posted by @Will Gaston :

If you hate college then you are doing it wrong.

College > Real World

Well, you're half right.  If you hate college, you are most definitely doing it wrong.  

However, College isn't >  Real World.  They should be equal.

@Nick Quarandillo

Coming from someone who completed college and immediately parachuted into real estate I get it. College seems like a waste. Personally I learned so much from college with regards to social connections, good writing/communication skills, and I walked away with friends for a lifetime. 

I think it would be foolish to leave school - finish school and start getting into real estate NOW. Go get a license or intern at a brokerage or a property management company. Get some exposure in the industry now so you can shape what YOUR goals are then get on the path that leads to them.

Please don't hesitate to message me, I'm only a few years out of school so I understand your perspective. Anyone who's more than a few years out of college simply won't understand your perspective. 

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here