Can you wholesale virtually from Canada?

7 Replies

Anything is possible but wholesaling is not easy and it is often done illegally. Wholesaling in the US from Canada will prove to be even more difficult as you need to know the market, know the numbers, have the buyers, and know how to perform the transaction legally and ethically. That often requires a real estate license in many states.

@Nathaniel Essayas yes you can buy and wholesale from anywhere just like Zillow or Opendoor and other Ibuyers are doing.

As @Will Barnard mentioned Do you need to know the laws first and foremost and you need to have buyers ready to go before you start marketing for Sellers.

As long as you do it right and ethically you can be anywhere.

Originally posted by @Will Barnard :

Anything is possible but wholesaling is not easy and it is often done illegally. Wholesaling in the US from Canada will prove to be even more difficult as you need to know the market, know the numbers, have the buyers, and know how to perform the transaction legally and ethically. That often requires a real estate license in many states.

In Canada it is quite the opposite - having a Real Estate license is a detriment due to the massive onus on the Realtor for disclosure, not only that he/she is a Realtor, but of all the knowledge that salesperson has of the subject property's value.

Originally posted by @Nathaniel Essayas :

Hi, wholesaling seems to be a lot easier to do in the United States, but I don’t want to live out of Canada, is it possible to do wholesaling virtually from Canada in the United States?

Can you prospect for petroleum virtually in Manitoba from Arizona? I don't want to leave the 80 degree winter temps but I'd sure like to have the benefits of an oil well or two.

The answer is "probably not" in both cases, unless you hire someone locally to help.

Originally posted by @Claude Boiron :
Originally posted by @Will Barnard:

In Canada it is quite the opposite - having a Real Estate license is a detriment due to the massive onus on the Realtor for disclosure, not only that he/she is a Realtor, but of all the knowledge that salesperson has of the subject property's value.

We have heard this message many times before, so much disclosure if you are a licensed agent and I say, hogwash. It takes literally an extra few sentences in a contract or addendum to disclose that you are an agent, it does not hinder you one bit doing a deal. If it does, it is not because you hold a license, it is because of you. That said, I don't know Canadian laws or disclosure rules so maybe somehow, someway it holds some truth but I seriously doubt it.

Originally posted by @Will Barnard :
Originally posted by @Claude Boiron:
Originally posted by @Will Barnard:

We have heard this message many times before, so much disclosure if you are a licensed afpgent and I say, hogwash. It takes literally an extra few sentences in a contract or addendum to disclose that you are an agent, it does not hinder you one bit doing a deal. If it does, it is not because you hold a license, it is because of you. That said, I don’t know Canadian laws or disclosure rules so maybe somehow, someway it holds some truth but I seriously doubt it.

Sorry @Will Barnard, but I disagree. I care about my license, so I'm going to be careful. I think things are different in Canada vs USA. BTW, I'm not a newbie screaming caution - Google me or connect on LinkedIn and you'll see that I'm coming from a place of top professionalism and expertise.

Claude, I don’t need your resume and I’m not sure why you took a defensive approach. I care about licensing as well and I merely stated that having a license does NOT hinder your ability as an investor here in the US. I also admitted not knowing Canadian law so you can take my advice or leave it. My only point, here in the US, having a license opens up way more doors for you as a wholesaler than a non licensed person, end of story.