Cold calling efficiently

11 Replies

There are a lot of ways to get in touch with motivated sellers. You could try direct mail, sms blasting, bandit signs and of course Cold calling. I want to improve my cold calling abilities and improve my efficiency when calling motivated sellers.

What are some tips or tricks you guys or girls use to maximize your efficiency when cold calling. Do you comp. a property first then call, or vise versa? Do you follow a specific script? Do you call at a certain time of day? Any feedback is appreciated :)

@Martin Bastida

Cold Calling is about numbers and building a pipeline of prospects, organizing them using a database.

I set aside 3 hours a day to do cold calling.Make a minimum of 100 calls a day, use pre recorded messages for voice mail, and a software package that allows me to send SMS Text followup text messages. You can google scripts. Your database will determine when to call. I never stop calling until i reach a minimum of 10 live people a day.

Your database will determine who is motivated or not. 

@Martin Bastida

@Martin Bastida

Mojo triple line dialer. You can rock through a few hundred dials per hour if no one is answering which leads to the next point...

Starting with a solid list is key.

Also, you need to find a data provider that gets great data for your area.

Not all data providers are equal geographically. Idk why, but a service that gets me great cell phone records in Texas might suck in Ohio and vice versa. This will require testing unless you know someone you can trust to key you in on what works in your area.

If you use mojo, you will need to pre-record a really good voicemail drop. Also, you need to pre-record a disconnect recording. This is what plays when someone answers but you just connected on another line.

How you start the conversation is going to determine your success rate. You have about half a second to convince them not to hang up on you. Without going too deep into the reasons why, sounding like you need help or are not too sure of yourself works really well if you can get it down. If you get something that works, it’s not too hard to train a va on the same technique.

There’s tons of other points to make on this topic but that should get you started. Feel free to let me know if you have more questions.

The key is just consistency and follow-ups. I wouldn't spend five minutes pulling comps for each property, most of the time people won't even pick up. As @Colby Hager was saying, mojo dialer is a good system to use @Martin Bastida .

Originally posted by @Martin Bastida :

There are a lot of ways to get in touch with motivated sellers. You could try direct mail, sms blasting, bandit signs and of course Cold calling. I want to improve my cold calling abilities and improve my efficiency when calling motivated sellers.

What are some tips or tricks you guys or girls use to maximize your efficiency when cold calling. Do you comp. a property first then call, or vise versa? Do you follow a specific script? Do you call at a certain time of day? Any feedback is appreciated :)

I focus primarily on off-market multifamily properties in the Columbus, Ohio area. I have my VAs pull lists from the auditor's site, skip trace them, and upload them to mojo. I then the newer agents on my team cold call these owners.

@Colby Hager great tips on cold calling, thanks for sharing. What would be a good example of how that first half a second or so should go, to convince the person on the other side of phone to hear you out? 

@Marlen Weber

One way we have tested with some positive results is something like this:

Homeowner: “hello”

Sales Agent: "oh hi, I'm not even sure if I have the right number, I was hoping you could help me. I'm trying to reach ..."

You have to make the wording fit the voice of the caller so the exact words may be a little different.

For context, we use this intro to cold call lists of sellers that are hard to find. We aren’t cold calling retail leads.

Originally posted by @Colby Hager :

@Marlen Weber

One way we have tested with some positive results is something like this:

Homeowner: “hello”

Sales Agent: “oh hi, I’m not even sure if I have the right number, I was hoping you could help me. I’m trying to reach ...”

You have to make the wording fit the voice of the caller so the exact words may be a little different.

For context, we use this intro to cold call lists of sellers that are hard to find. We aren’t cold calling retail leads.

I like this opener I might steal this one from you!